• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

A Hair Loss Conundrum

dorkweed

I've been slowly losing my hair now for about 4 years or so. It's really, really picked up in the last year though. If it keeps up at this rate, I'll have the chrome dome and horseshoe within two years.Here's the conundrum though................I used to be able to wear a ball cap all the time no matter the weather. That's when I "had" good hair. Now it seems that with less hair, my head is warmer no matter the conditions. What gives??? :duh::shrug::think:

Deja vu. I got a haircut today and the $%^& showed me the back of my head with a mirror just so I could see it's getting thin back there. I actually tell them not to touch the top at all, only the sides. I can go 5 haircuts without touching the top :doh: But my dad was bald at 19ish so I guess I'm lucky. As for your head, it's the stress of looking bald that keeps your head warm :lol:

As for your head, it's the stress of looking bald that keeps your head warm :lol:

Actually, I could care less!!! As much as I wear a ball cap, it really doesn't matter what the top of my head looks like!!! I was just stating observations since the start of my more recent accelerated hair loss!!!:thumbup2::duh::smart: My new computer has the built in camera that'll take your picture/movie of yourself...............whatever you wish. It was shocking to see myself as others see me everyday. WOW!!!! I don't have very much hair left!!!!! My barber has been lying to me!!! I've always combed my hair straight back; but now, I'm doing a "Comb-back" instead of a "Comb-over"!!!! I may go crew cut next time!!

Thanks for the replies guys. But the question still is this...................Why is my head warmer with less hair???:ahhh::think:

The hair helps disperse the sweat, creating a lo tech evaporative cooling system as your body perspires - like a wick. :smart:Less hair = less wicking so the heat remains closer to the skin..Or..:wink:... I could be wrong ,but it seems like a workable theory! A sunburnt head brings a dose of reality too- hate it when that happens!:mad:

Did you know that shearing a heavy wooled sheep in the summer is the worst thing you can do.. from the insulation standpoint FROM the heat.... and the evaporative effects long hair previous poster mentioned. Some kinds of human baldness is a result of shrinking pores... both sweat and hair follicles. You might also have less sweat up-top to help keep ya cool!

I have been noticing more ear and nose hair during this time also!!!:stuned:

I have to get my ear hair trim at every hair cut. Sometimes I just do it when i shave. The hair you are loosing on top has to go somewhere. As far as feeling warmer, I guess mine has been so gradual I never noticed any difference. My head has always sweated profusely. Every ball cap I wear looks like a salt lick.

• Owner

The hair helps disperse the sweat, creating a lo tech evaporative cooling system as your body perspires - like a wick. :smart:Less hair = less wicking so the heat remains closer to the skin..Or..:wink:... I could be wrong ,but it seems like a workable theory! A sunburnt head brings a dose of reality too- hate it when that happens!:mad:

Like last night I was working a event with the Fire Dept water the bank down in 104*F weather. With my long hair I can soak it all down and I remain much cooler that a bald person does. I typically wear a dew rag for this reason too keeps the sweat out of my eyes and spreads the sweat about the rag a bit keep the top of my head cooler. Not to meantion keeping the dirt and ash out of my hair as well on wildland fires. :whistle:

Hmmm... Maybe us long hair hippies have all the fun. :lmao::lmao2: Funny that my previous barber was telling me that I've got a thin patch on the top of my starting. I don't know if its true as of yet. Keep it long as much as possible till... POOF its gone. :whistle:

If I tried to be a long haired hippy, I'd look more like Bozo the clown. Bald on top and sides/back long. Then some Speedo's and I'd be set. :thumbup2: The gal that cuts my hair...told her I should get a discount due to lack of hair. She said its more work cutting the hair off my neck and ears so it evens out.

My dad always tries to get it half off since there's half as much hair. :lmao2: 5 or 6 years ago I grew my hair out, almost to my shoulders. I hated it. Now I cut it myself, and keep it at a #2. :thumbup2:

This last haircut I did get it half off since I told them not to even touch the top :doh: It's degrading :lol:

is it migrating to your back like mine is? I've gotten to 45 w/ a fair amount of hair (especially compared to my brother and my nephews) but I think it's starting to catch up on me finally. If it gets too thin, buzz cut or shave for me. No comb overs for this kid. From a heat trransfer standpoint your head is a HUGE heat sink/rad. So maybe the free convection is making it feel warmer?

is it migrating to your back like mine is? I've gotten to 45 w/ a fair amount of hair (especially compared to my brother and my nephews) but I think it's starting to catch up on me finally. If it gets too thin, buzz cut or shave for me. No comb overs for this kid. From a heat trransfer standpoint your head is a HUGE heat sink/rad. So maybe the free convection is making it feel warmer?

My dad says it ran and hid under his arm pits. :lmao2: