• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I have some oil leaks in some usual places such as the tappet cover, vacuum pump, and maybe the front cover and /or the front main seal. The other day I noticed some oil coming around from the rear of the engine. I thought it was from the valve cover but upon further inspection it appears that it is coming from between the head and the block. I looked at it with a mirror and can see the joint between the two has a wet oily line. the oil is migrating down and onto the block. About 4 months ago I blew my radiator climbing the mountain and briefly overheated the engine(my fault), could this be a by product of the incident and I almost blew my head gasket or could there be a simpler explanation? No coolant in the oil and no oil in the coolant.

Might want to check a little closer. From what I can find on quickserve there isn't any oil around the headgasket at the rear of the head. It is possible that the oil is leaking out the tappet side of the head gasket and running back. Haven't personally had the head off of one to look at the gasket, but thats how it looks.Just checked out the oil flow diagram and the closest oil galley to the rear of the head gasket is in front of #6 cylinder.

The oil could just be migrating back there from the tappet cover I guess. The wind could whip it around there. There is to much stuff in the way to tell. The oil in the back is minimal. From what i can see it has only stained the rear of the block and actually there is not enough for to run off, yet. There is a thin line of wet oil right across the rear at the cylinder head/block joint. I am going to do my tappet cover gasket and vacuum pump reseal pretty soon and and will have that side of the motor stripped pretty clean. I should be able to get a good look at it then. I guess the line being wet is what bothers me the most, it makes it look like it is leaking(more a weep than a leak) from the head. I will keep an eye on it for now until i can go in for the rest of the leak repairs. Keeping my fingers crossed it aint the head gasket.

I have the same exact oil leak as you described. I ordered a tappet gasket today and gonna replace every gasket i can find on the drivers side of the engine. I have even read there is a gasket where the vp44 back bracket mounts to the block. But, i have never seen it in the 40+ vp44s i have done. Im also gonna add some dye to my oil before i start so i can do some looking while im tearing everything off to get to the cover.

I will be interested in what you see, it will be a little while before i get into mine. Is there not a gasket behind the oe lift pump bracket? That is in a perfect place to let oil leak around the block in that area. My 02 does not have the bracket on the VP that I remember. I think remember reading the later model 2nd gens did not have them.:shrug:

Now that's comforting, Ryan. Seems I have read where a lot of folks have that problem. Anyone know of a cure? I would hate to have to do it twice.

- - - Updated - - -

Now that's comforting, Ryan. Seems I have read where a lot of folks have that problem. Anyone know of a cure? I would hate to have to do it twice.

• Like 1

Earlier you said that in 40 vp installs you had never seen one. I guess you meant the gasket on the bracket and not the bracket itself. My first one went at 75k and it was replaced under warranty. i replace that one at 217k and dont remember a bracket. That was 3 years ago and my memory aint what it used to be. Might very well be there.