• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Injection pump woes

99,6XX miles and the injection pump is failing, again. I ordered the new vp today. I need a fuel pressure gauge because the air dog light must not be completely functional. Am looking at a juice attitude cts, thoughts? Why not get the power as well as monitoring is my thoughts. Occasionally I run red, good or bad idea? Do I need a fuel additive? What would you guys do to my truck to help with A) fuel problems and B) mileage? Can't keep dropping $1000 every couple years on a vp. Air dog has stock 15lb spring, should I change to 17lb? Keep in mind I do have emissions here in Denver.

welcome to the fam! edge juice is great! plus the monitoring! fuel pressure should stay above 14 to be healthy and keep vp cool. 1 qt of 2 stroke "ashless" oil for a 35 gal tank of diesel this lubes nicely and has no negative affects. like me many have run this for a long time and is cheap insurance. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-TC-W3-Outboard-2-Cycle-Oil-1-Gallon/16795065 bout $12 per gallon and will last 4 tanks appx my vp failed appx 160,000 miles. but afterwards ive been running 2 stroke oil and ensuring the fuel stays flowing with good pressure and have had zero issues with the vp. Its a budget reman so the next one im investing in a blue chip full rebuilt "as close to new" vp so it will last years with the preventative stuff we do. And be careful on a auto tranny adding power you will burn it out! I work in denver so if you ever want to meet up we can and i can see what i can help with!

Welcome to the forums. Fuel pressure gauge is a must have on any VP truck. as for an additive most here use about a quart of wallyworld 2 cycle oil per full tank of fuel. or maybe an OZ per gallon. make use not to add a quart every time you fill up. as you'll be adding to much oil after a while. unless you run it empty.the EJWA is a great programmer. are you planning pn tapping the pump.? you might fill out your signature so we know what mods you have, if an auto adding the power might kill and untouched tranny.

• Owner

99,6XX miles and the injection pump is failing, again. I ordered the new vp today. I need a fuel pressure gauge because the air dog light must not be completely functional. Am looking at a juice attitude cts, thoughts? Why not get the power as well as monitoring is my thoughts. Occasionally I run red, good or bad idea? Do I need a fuel additive? What would you guys do to my truck to help with A) fuel problems and B) mileage? Can't keep dropping $1000 every couple years on a vp. Air dog has stock 15lb spring, should I change to 17lb? Keep in mind I do have emissions here in Denver.

As for the Edge Juice just remember to use a needle valve before the fuel pressure sender. Out in in Idaho Red and on-road diesel are both the same. Just one has dye the other doesn't. I use 2 cycle oil every tank 128:1 ratio or 1 oz for every gallon. A: I would skip the Edge Juice fall back to Edge Comp then do separate gauges. This will ultimately cost about the same but then when something fails then you only got to replace the one part not a entire expensive unit. B: MPG? Well that easy if you follow along with my you can reach 20's easy. As for VP44 failures all you got to do is read a article... This will explain the 4 thing the VP44 requires for long life I'm going to cross 200K on this pump really soon. http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/25-fuel-system/415-bosch-vp44-injection-pump-requirements As for AirDog setup you can shim the spring for more fuel pressure. I just used a few washers with proper OD and ID measurements. As for Denver emissions the Edge Comp will be the best route. Because you can unplug the entire unit and make it disappear in under a 2 minutes. The only thing they might find is your tap point on the pump be it a stealth plate or a crummy scotch lock.

My banks tuner crapped out on me a month and with it I lost both the pyro and boost gauge since they depended on the the tuner for operation. So I would second the individual gauges. I am putting some in mine soon so that never happens again. 2 cycle here also at one ounce per gallon. Your warning light for pressure probably comes on around 5# so is not that good. You could be running at 6 and never know you had a problem.

As for Denver emissions the Edge Comp will be the best route. Because you can unplug the entire unit and make it disappear in under a 2 minutes. The only thing they might find is your tap point on the pump be it a stealth plate or a crummy scotch lock.

i go to a diesel testing place in lakewood near the mall on colfax anderson foreign car service (303) 278-8766 http://www.andersens.net/home/ they do diesel emission test on a dyno and at $65 per test its the cheapest and they dont care about programmers (just keep it on stock) ive run mine there for 4 years with zero problems with my edge juice hooked up. great place to do the test and they give no hassles.

Out in in Idaho Red and on-road diesel are both the same. Just one has dye the other doesn't.

It is the same all over. The red is a dye to signify that there are no road taxes on it. IF you get caught running red fuel it is considered TAX EVASION and the gov't don't like people stealing from them. You will probably not ever get all the dye out of your tank, so be careful. Here in Mn the state has pulled trucks over and stuck the tank. My daughter got checked in a roadside check so it does happen.

In Colorado red is the same or so I've been told, but i go from 16 mpg to 18 mpg every time i use red so i am inclined to think it isn't the same. Just ordered some fuel treatment from Royal. Cheaper than 2 cycle from Wal-mart and cleans a little as well as lubricate. If I go with separate gauges, which ones do you guys like? Anyone using the edge comp? Looked at other mods like the power puck and decided to stay far away from that one based on forums.

http://www.royalmfg.com/pds/RoyalDieselGuard_pds.pdf Got a 12qt case from my local oil distributor for about $32. so $2.60 a quart. This is what he runs in his 1999 with 37X,XXX miles. he said he would love to sell me the howes or power service but they cost more and do the same thing. 2 cycle from him had the same cost as this. Super tech at walmart is $3.00 a quart.