• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hey everybody! HELP!!

Hey guys...new to the world! Been dreaming about getting a 2500 5 speed since before I could dive and Im about to pull the trigger on a 96 2500 4x4. This truck has 150k and I'm getting it on a straight across trade for a old Jeep. Been doing a little digging and have found some things that I didn't know about before...mainly the 5th gear issue(scares the crap it of me) but will order the locknut fix asap. What else do I need to look at on this thing before I seal the deal. This has the HD package on it(still waiting on a build sheet for specifics) It runs like a beast pulls hard, no stutters or misses, fairly clean underneath, AZ truck (not a spot of rust)and a perfect body. I think it has a bigger pipe on it(or just a tip) but otherwise mechanically stock. It needs the fuel shut off solenoid,an alignment and tires.Haven't had it past 4 th gear/50mph yet... I will take it on the freeway before I finalize the trade. Thanks in advance!!

Hey guys...new to the world! Been dreaming about getting a 2500 5 speed since before I could dive and Im about to pull the trigger on a 96 2500 4x4. This truck has 150k and I'm getting it on a straight across trade for a old Jeep. Been doing a little digging and have found some things that I didn't know about before...mainly the 5th gear issue(scares the crap it of me) but will order the locknut fix asap. What else do I need to look at on this thing before I seal the deal. This has the HD package on it(still waiting on a build sheet for specifics) It runs like a beast pulls hard, no stutters or misses, fairly clean underneath, AZ truck (not a spot of rust)and a perfect body. I think it has a bigger pipe on it(or just a tip) but otherwise mechanically stock. It needs the fuel shut off solenoid,an alignment and tires.Haven't had it past 4 th gear/50mph yet... I will take it on the freeway before I finalize the trade. Thanks in advance!!

ISX has a guide for the 12Vs around somewhere... you might look through the articles or PM him for it. I think he goes over some of the basics of the trucks and pump. I also say it likely needs more than an alignment if it "wanders." That isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but I would expect to spend some time and money fixing some worn out parts. 5th gear... There are several ways to fix it. Hopefully nobody welded the nut in place. Given that its a 12V you also have to worry about the killer dowel pin. Basically a little pin that can fall out and it may fall safe to the pan... or it may not.

It needs an alignment just from looking at the tires....the camber is off. The owner said he took it to a shop to have it aligned just because he had a coupon and they jacked it up bad(what do you expect for $30) Hadnt heard of the killer dowel pin...thanks. I will look for the write up...I figured there was one but I'm on my phone right now and it's not too easy to navigate haha.

So in other words it's hit and miss...just like everything else. I just dont want to have to think about it every time I shift into 5th. I will be towing horses with it and my gf will be taking it to rodeos for drill team. Don't need to get "the call". Is it mainly due to abuse? It looks like with about $300 and an afternoon the two weak spots can be fixed(kds and 5th). I'm waiting for this guy to call me back....hoping he hasn't changed his mind:doh:

Hello, I just bought my 97 that had the Fuel Shut Off Solenoid issue... Lucky me it was only the relay:hyper: I also rewired the fusible link wire that comes off the battery due to the eyelet being corroded. Sounds like a nice truck all in all....

With mine when I first bought the truck, I would have to turn the key in the on position and manually lift the solenoid then start the truck... The guy said he bought another one but the new one didn't work... S I started looking at what else it could be and found it was just the 70 relay :hyper: 10.00 fix

With mine when I first bought the truck, I would have to turn the key in the on position and manually lift the solenoid then start the truck... The guy said he bought another one but the new one didn't work... S I started looking at what else it could be and found it was just the 70 relay :hyper: 10.00 fix

Oh nice! Well that may be the issue with this one...he heard a pop. And yes this one starts the same way. I will check the relay before I buy a solenoid.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/4700-Getting-up-to-speed-with-the-94-98-5-12V-engine http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/882-12v-Cummins-FAQ Those 2 should give you a very good idea. As for the 5th gear nut, you just don't have 5th gear... Put it in 4th and keep going. Mine went and I said oh, put it in 4th and drove the rest of the 50 miles.

It needs an alignment just from looking at the tires....the camber is off. The owner said he took it to a shop to have it aligned just because he had a coupon and they jacked it up bad(what do you expect for $30) .

If camber is truly "out", then it's either ball joints, wheel hub bearing assembly, or bent axle tubes. There's no camber adjustment w/o adjustable ball joints.

Clarification on the tire wear...Ball joints went bad and he drove it for a while. Ball joints are now brand new. The shop that did it (cheap) did not align correctly. In fact he has a pending suit with the shop. Apparently they fried the starter and "popped" the solenoid, WTH? Starter has been replaced but solenoid has not because he thinks it's going to cost $600. From what I understand if the thing starts after manually lifting solenoid then it's just the solenoid not the pump.??

Cheap solenoids are on ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-98-5-9L-DODGE-DIESEL-CUMMINS-FUEL-SHUT-OFF-Solenoid-/200489281467 KDP and fuel lines/tubes rotting are another thing to watch for. Given it's age be prepared to learn how it all ticks, unless you have deep pockets.

Fully prepared to work on it myself...just have a lot to learn! Used to tearing things apart after having 9 Jeeps!

One thing I recommend everyone do when they buy a CTD, adjust the valves. I'm pretty sure there is a write up on it. I can't believe some of the engines I have adjusted valves on were even running. Seems that the 12v were worse about it than the 24v engines, however I think that was mainly due to most dodge dealers not having a diesel tech and just threw someone on them to adjust valves that didn't have a clue how to and either didn't have the info or was to lazy to look it up.

• Like 1