• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1996 Dodge Ram - MPG Report

• Owner

Well gang. I'm now switched over to the little 1/2 ton truck and going to see how far I can reach with MPG's on it. Using what I've learn with the Cummins I'm going to use against the 5.9L V8 Magnum engine and see how far I can reach. So far just with a simple trip to Riggins, ID and back I right there at 20 MPG. :hyper:Tmg - Total For the Tank MPG'sCmg - Total for the Day MPG's30 mile round trippost-2-138698209791_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Given the price of diesel, oil, 3/4 ton tires, etc... You are likely enjoying a lower cost/mile also. Very cool! I never saw mileage like that on my 97, though I had headers, flowmasters (not loud ones), and 285 series tires on it.i would like to find a 2001 sport 1500 with decent miles. However, I am NOT a fan of the brakes on the 1500s. I had lots of issues with that.

• Owner

I figured I would use Mom's 96 dodge a bit more since diesel prices are inching up now at 4.169 and gasoline is 3.629 so why not try to optimize the gas engine a bit more and see how far I can go. I'm planing on building a tonneau cover for the bed. It's going to be a hard cover that folds. Be a place to toss my fire bag and miscellaneous stuff out of the weather. So I'm starting this thread to let you all see what I turn out for MPG's on a gasser now. I've even mathed out the tire pressures and using 235/85 R16 tires which are strictly a road radial low rolling resistance. Kind of weird way I figured my tire pressures. I did a scale weight a while back and remember 5,200 pounds. So being safe I upped to 5,500 pounds. Now checking my 02 truck for front to rear ratio it turned out 60/40 front to rear. So using the same thing I split the 5,500 pounds 60/40 (3,300/2,200) so then done my math and turn out 43 PSI front and 29 PSI in the rear. Tires sit nice and flat to the floor of the shop. Done a bit of tuning of the kick down cable for the transmission. Got a nice crisp shift pattern now. But found there is a slight gain to be had kicking the OD off on even small hill climbs like from Riggins to home which is roughly 1,000 foot climb in 15 miles. Which works out to roughly a 1.2% grade. Even my buddy Kelly was kind of shocked looking at the ScanGauge and watching the MPG numbers grow.

However, I am NOT a fan of the brakes on the 1500s. I had lots of issues with that.

Not a fan either... The 1500 brakes SUCK!!! I did install cylinders for a 2500 in the back that have helped...bit they still SUCK!!!:banghead: Tried everything... Replaced booster, master cylinder, Drums, rotors, pads, shoes and even the lines...Installed the cylinders for a 2500 and it helped a little....

• Owner

Ok... Now using my test run like the 2002 Dodge I'm running the same grocery trip to McCall, ID.Vitals I can give...1996 Dodge Ram 1500 - 5.9L Magnum V8 - 46RE Automatic Trans - Mopar Performance PCM - 3.55 Gear Ratio - Scaled 5,200# Fuel: 87 OctaneTrip: 108 Miles TraveledCargo and Passengers: 2 on board (350#), groceries (200#), 1/2 Tank of fuelHigh Temp Outside: 35*FSpeed: 55 MPH or lower speed limits never exceeded 55 MPH.IAT: varied from 95-105*F.Coolant Temp: 191-193*F Tire Pressures: Front Axle: 43 PSI - Rear Axle: 29 PSIElevation: McCall, ID 5,100 feet approx.Home: 2,800 Feet measured.Going up I used 3rd Gear all the way from home to McCall, ID then at select times that I could I would use 4th gear (OD) on the way down. Tmg - Total For the Tank - 19.4 MPGCmg - Today's MPG - 19.8 MPGpost-2-138698209814_thumb.jpg

• Owner

Why are you mixing two cycle oil in a gasser?

Wondering the same thing myself.

No. Fuel wise in just straight even day ethanol fuel 87 Octane. (I copied it from the 02 MPG report over here and missed deleting that line - Line now deleted!) Other that that I've got low rolling resistance tire on this truck and cutting drag anywhere I can. post-2-138698209824_thumb.jpg

• Owner

Another lap to the grocery store for miscellaneous stuff. No cheating here I'm still driving the 1996 Dodge 1500. You'll notice my Tmg (total for the tank is a bit low) I made a run to New Meadows, ID and haul a trailer load of pallets back for a neighbor. But I've now broke over 20 MPG with a 5.9L V8 engine now with a Automatic Trans...post-2-138698209965_thumb.jpgVitals I can give...1996 Dodge Ram 1500 - 5.9L Magnum V8 - 46RE Automatic Trans - Mopar Performance PCM - 3.55 Gear Ratio - Scaled 5,200# Fuel: 87 OctaneTrip: 90 Miles TraveledCargo and Passengers: 2 on board (350#), groceries (80#), 1/2 Tank of fuelHigh Temp Outside: 35*FSpeed: 55 MPH or lower speed limits never exceeded 55 MPH.IAT: varied from 95-105*F.Coolant Temp: 191-193*F Tire Pressures: Front Axle: 43 PSI - Rear Axle: 29 PSIElevation: McCall, ID 5,100 feet approx.Home: 2,800 Feet measured.Going up I used 3rd Gear all the way from home to McCall, ID then at select times that I could I would use 4th gear (OD) on the way down. Tmg - Total For the Tank - 17.8 MPGCmg - Today's MPG - 21.6 MPG

post-2-138698209948_thumb.jpg

• Like 1