• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Loss of Power

a couple of months ago i made a trip from south carolina to long island new york to pick up a 32ft camper. after returning from my trip i notice that my truck seems to have lost power and the turbo does not seem to spool up like it did before the trip. was wondering how much boost should my turbo be putting out and what i need to check to make sure that my truck is performing properly.

If you had a boost leak then chances are your truck would be smoking. With no smoke it would be a lack of fuel. When was the last time you changed your fuel filter and what is your fuel pressure?

• 2 weeks later...

the fuel pressure gauge started jumping around. as long as i am driving it stays about 13 to 15 psi at idle it jumps form 15 to 30 psi. I changed the fuel filter and water separater today and the fuel pressure gauge is still jumoing around. when drive down the road at 45 mph the fuel pressure reads 13 psi the EGT is at 750 and the boost gauge reads 5 psi. truck still seams to lack in power.

Are you lugging it at 45 mph? That could be causing the slightly higher egt's... As far as the lap pressure you might want to check into that a little further, 30 psi can blow the seal on the VP44 and cause fuel to dump into the gear case (engine oil). On my AD100 I was experiencing fluctuating pressures last week so I pulled the spring and the ball had jammed itself into the spring. You may have a restriction or something similar causing that intermittent high pressure.... JR

• Owner

I gather its a electric gauge if so the sender failed you while ago.

fuel pressure is at 15psi at idle and stays constant

as long as i am driving it stays about 13 to 15 psi at idle it jumps form 15 to 30 psi.

Neither are normal. I would verify with a mechanical gauge. Electrical gauge are prone to failure without the owner knowing as the sender takes on water hammer pulses it starts to either drift higher or lower in pressure or stick. Even my truck I see 1-2 PSI drop from idle to WOT and also see pressure changes with fuel temperature colder is lower and hotter is higher.

My first FP gauge was electric and failed in the same manner as Mike mentions. I also did not have the sender protected from the VP pulses. I now have a mechanical protected by a needle valve barely cracked open to protect it from the pulses. Been working fine for near 2 years.

Fuel pressure gauges definitely should have a snubber. More info would be nice to help you more specifically some things to think about,Just so you know if the PCM detects an over/under boost the fuel rate will be reduced automatically. Inspect turbo housing for oil contaminationinspect air induction system for air leaks.