• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

Sign in to follow this  
TFaoro

VP or something else??

I recently bought an upgraded vp44 from Blue chip diesel ($1600) because my original died. After installing the first pump the truck started right up and ran great for about 10 minutes, then I got a code saying injection pump timing failure. I talked to Chip and he sent me another right away. This second pump has been great for about a week. Now for some reason around 1,000 to 1,200 rpm when I mash the go petal it loses power, makes a horrible lugging sound then picks up and runs fine. I am also having trouble starting. Warm or cold it doesn't like to start on the first crank and sometimes it won't start on the the second. This doesn't happen every time I go to start it though.... about every 2-4 starts. I have 19psi to the pump, a new fuel filter, a new air filter, and no fuel leaks. I'm starting to think I got another bad VP. Does anyone have any suggestions or something I can try? Maybe something else went bad? Chip has been unavailable for the last 4 days. Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to the family,

Did you recheck for codes again after this started happening again and did you try an APPS reset?

Thanks! I checked for codes with my smarty... got nothing. I reset the apps this morning and got the same result. 3 cranks to get it to fire and a nice puff of white smoke

No reason for that high of pressure though. You only aiming to get the overflow open fully at 14 PSI under WOT. Going above 20 PSI is just risking the front VP44 seal...

I had one guy that was going around with a mechanical fuel pump from a 12V and running 35-40 PSI on a VP44 trying to prove a point. Yes you could go that high but your not going to gain anything. Might be unlucky and blow the front seal out of the VP44 though.

Update: Blue Chip would not upgrade me to a pump with the new electronics, and I have given up faith on their pumps. I do appreciate that Doug is refunding my money once he sends me a core and I return the pump that has messed up timing. 

I have since purchased a pump from Industrial Injection and all of the problems have subsided! I even went about 125 miles today on the highway and some traffic and got 21mpg!

New Problem: The truck is randomly taking longer to fire than normal. It is usually when the truck is between 140-150 degrees.(-3 deg this morning and fired right away with short crank time & no block heater plugged in) I talked to a trusted mechanic today and he suggested checking the return line on the back of the head to see if there is air entering the system from there. Has anyone done this? I have no idea how or what I am looking for.  :shrug:

Update: Blue Chip would not upgrade me to a pump with the new electronics, and I have given up faith on their pumps. I do appreciate that Doug is refunding my money once he sends me a core and I return the pump that has messed up timing. 

I have since purchased a pump from Industrial Injection and all of the problems have subsided! I even went about 125 miles today on the highway and some traffic and got 21mpg!

New Problem: The truck is randomly taking longer to fire than normal. It is usually when the truck is between 140-150 degrees.(-3 deg this morning and fired right away with short crank time & no block heater plugged in) I talked to a trusted mechanic today and he suggested checking the return line on the back of the head to see if there is air entering the system from there. Has anyone done this? I have no idea how or what I am looking for.  :shrug:

Follow the return line off the VP to where it ties into a tee. That tee can leak and cause hard starting. There is also a line off the back of the head that ties into that tee and the sealing washers can go bad also causing the same issue, though the longer it sits the worse it gets, starting time that is and you say after sitting all night it starts ri :shrug: ght up.

Edited by dripley

What, you think he has a vacuum because of the fuel cap? If so, I dunno if that would really make a difference. My AD165 can suck the fuel tank in like its a paper bag!

What, you think he has a vacuum because of the fuel cap? If so, I dunno if that would really make a difference. My AD165 can suck the fuel tank in like its a paper bag!

i read about so many bad tank vent stories that I added my own reliable tank vent.

Hex, that's why you're an 'infidel' :sofa: .... bad tank vent problems.......... spoken from a true truck psycologist.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

Ok I was doing some thinking while on a road trip. The return system is free flowing, correct? There is nothing preventing fuel from going back into the tank like a check ball or anything. So how could a bad banjo gasket on the back of the head cause hard starts? Wouldnt the pressure side be bleeding back? I guess i would have to try it to see if my theory was right. Just trying to think out loud.

Edited by mopartechnician

Ok I was doing some thinking while on a road trip. The return system is free flowing, correct? There is nothing preventing fuel from going back into the tank like a check ball or anything. So how could a bad banjo gasket on the back of the head cause hard starts? Wouldnt the pressure side be bleeding back? I guess i would have to try it to see if my theory was right. Just trying to think out loud.

I have always wondered about this theory too. Why would a return line leaking have any effect on the pressure side of the fuel system? The only thing you would be out is the fuel lost in the leak but thats it. I dont buy it honestly.

The leak will allow air back into the system which will allow fuel to drain back thru the overflow of the VP. At least that is my understanding. Fixing the tee and the sealing washers in the tee stopped a hard start issue I had a while back.