• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ticking noise from motor all speeds

I asked this before...but after 6 months of 2 cycle oil use I've still got ticking going on. Sound comes out of both front wheel wells. No difference one side to the other. I try to listen to other 24 valve rigs out there and some have the clicking sound and others don't. I adjusted my valves, but should probably look at them again. Maybe one was way out and I adjusted at 20 rather than 10? Other than excessive lifter noise, could a bad injector cause the sound? Idle is smooth, but power and torque seems lower than I feel should be, but that's not backed up with any kind of inpherical evedence. Oil pressure good, fuel pressure optimum, fuel economy around 14 when towing a 4,000# work trailer. Does white smoke a bit on cold startup, but smooth. Wondering if that is more steam than smoke. Nothing has changed. Been this way ever sinc e I've owned it. I've put 30k miles on it. Wish I had one of you guys local to compare trucks with. With stock exhaust. I got on this subject again after watching the high idle cold start videos with white smoke coming out the tailpipe. Figure my first thing is to re-check my valve adjustment. I love this forum! Much more responsive and reliable knowledge than any other forum on any subject. Kudos to Michael! I'll send more money when I can. Money tight now as my hip is scheduled for replacement and I've been working at about half pace and therefore- half revenue. I am not only slow, but am limited on how long I work before pain becomes intolerable. I'm taking 12 asprin a day to maintain some level of comfort. At least my blood should be thin enough. Lol.

• Like 1

Weird noises have always been a hard thing to figure out. Especially since your description and actually hearing it will be different. Especially since there is no way for you to isolate it through a recording for us.

The only thing I can suggest, is to take a bar, or anything long with a tip at the end. They even make this as a specialty tool. Begin placing it at different points of the engine and put your ear on the other end. The sound should be translated through the medium to your ear and you should hear what your looking for. This can really isolate the noise to the area.

They make what is called a mechanics stethoscope. Heck, I think a local parts store should carry one for $10...

Use a broom stick or something as Infidel suggested!

It will allow you to isolate the area and often the exact cause of the noises you hear.

The louder it gets the closer you are. 

Put the end on the IP and the turbo  the head and the block in different spots.

often valves make this noise as they close and injection pumps are known for this as well (at least on VW tdis they are not working if they don't)

I do not want to mention anything else that could make a clicking sound as I would not want to jinx anything.

The broom stick that is made of wood is the best choice I have for an inexpensive stethoscope.

likely have one on your kitchen broom or mop.

Edited by eddielee

I started hearing this as well after using 2-cycle oil. It almost sounds like an exhaust leak but it isn't that I can tell. It is very faint but you can hear it. It sounds like just one cylinder but I am having no loss in power or performance issues of any kind.

If I take out the injectors, I'm puting bigger ones in. Suggestions for mild upsize appreciated. I'm never going to go crazy with hp. But would like to improve mpg. Don't want to raise hp so much that I start having to upgrade other things as a result. Need to find a catalytic converter delete pipe too. Anyone make a bolt on?