• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Most I Can Get Out Of My Stock Turbo

Hi happy to be on this forum I got a 98.5 stock tranny just recently installed a cold air intake 4inch straight exhaust new exhaust manifold edge juice with attitude and a 95gph fass titanium I was wondering what brand and how big the injectors can be I'm in need of some injectors.

I do know I need to upgrade tranny but I want to do that later. I use my dodge for daily driving and sometimes to have fun and race.

Edited by dooishman

Well, I've got DAP 75hp injectors, they recommended that if I go any bigger I need to upgrade the turbo. So I would say thats as big as you will probably be able to go... You can go bigger obviously, but you will have driveability problems.

Also, there is a path to walk with these trucks. It starts with adding to your reliability, then fun. You did not say if yours was an auto or manual. An auto needs an upgrade from stock as a given and with your power add-on, you can smoke a tranny quickly if your not careful.

Yep. 75hp is the most you want to go on a stock turbo. I would stick to something around 40-50hp. It will be nice power and nice mileage. I also agree with Hex though. You really need to solidify the weak points of the truck before getting to crazy with power add ons. Get the tranny/clutch and fuel system up to par and a good set of gauges. Then the fun comes..

Welcome to the forum by the way and if you wouldnt mind filling out your signature, it will help us help you.

Not what you want to hear but the guys are right, throwing performance parts at a stock 47re is going to result in a parked rig. Not something you want if you depend on it for a daily driver. Even running a Smarty with an aggressive tune made my stock tc on my 00 shudder under heavy acceleration, I couldnt afford to upgrade so I put the Smarty away and drove the truck another 2 years before I could get the trans rebuilt properly. Theres a right way and a wrong way to mod a truck, the right way will afford you the luxury of keeping it as a daily/dependable driver and the wrong way will have you strapped for cash and out of a vehicle.

I smoked my stock tranny a couple weeks ago with DAP 60 HP injectors, edge comp and other mods (see below)...plan on at least $4000 for a decent tranny to hold that power, and that price is reusing the stock shafts...fill out your signature so we know what you have. If you have the stock HY35 turbo, that is going to hold back your power and sky rocket your EGTs.

PS my daily driver was on jack stands for 2 weeks and now it's in the shop. My stock tranny functioned less than a year with the injectors and Edge EZ, 2 weeks with the Edge Comp and she shuddered bad and filled the case with torque converter clutch material. I tried to cheat it and didn't listen to the experienced members here, but I learned, a $4400 crdit card tranny bill, you gotta pay to play.

Edited by CTcummins24V

What all do I need for a good tranny I was thinking suncoast. I'll prolly just go with 75 hp dpp? Or is there better 75 hp injectors out there.

A good transmission is all dependant on what you would like to do with the truck. Do you want a daily driver that will handle mild mods, do you want one that will tow the home, or do you want to pull a sled or drag race? These all affect how you build your transmission. Until you can decide what you will be doing with it, save your pennies. If you are mechanically inclined, you can almost cut your transmission build in half by saving on labor. If I would have bit the bullet and rebuilt mine, I would have one stout transmission as I spent $4500 to rebuild mine.

A very painful experience to shell over that much cash... But now, I can pretty much do what I ask of it and not worry. I admit, I still need to watch the gauges and go pedal, because these engines can reeeally be fierce!

01 dodge 5 speed. Quadzilla adrenaline, 150hp injectors, smarty, raptor 150. Made 450hp 1200tq on stock turbo and stock vp44

I speculate that if I were to upgrade my turbo one step up, I bet I would be making that kind of numbers...

Let's say my Edge Comp and +50HP injectors is a good stretch on the boost I cab bury the boost against the 35 PSI pin. So 75HP is going to put you at the limit and you'll be able to control smoke and EGT's using a module like a Edge Comp or similar.

My turbo limits how much boost I'm able to make and I've pegged her at about 35psi as well. The comp can still bring on alooot more power and I can really smoke good on a hard accel. But with mine on 5x3, I can keep it to a pretty good low and make good power.

I smoked my stock tranny a couple weeks ago with DAP 60 HP injectors, edge comp and other mods (see below)...plan on at least $4000 for a decent tranny to hold that power, and that price is reusing the stock shafts...fill out your signature so we know what you have. If you have the stock HY35 turbo, that is going to hold back your power and sky rocket your EGTs.

PS my daily driver was on jack stands for 2 weeks and now it's in the shop. My stock tranny functioned less than a year with the injectors and Edge EZ, 2 weeks with the Edge Comp and she shuddered bad and filled the case with torque converter clutch material. I tried to cheat it and didn't listen to the experienced members here, but I learned, a $4400 crdit card tranny bill, you gotta pay to play.

^I pretty much have the same instance with the tranny. $4500 in it and still do not have billet parts into it. When I first got my truck, the previous owner(s) had gauges an edge comp, and I think an aftermarket lift pump. Looked like a raptor without the label. Needless to say, due to my ignorance I never knew that I bought the truck off the lot with an already bad tranny!

I also did not realize the fuel pressure was so detrimental and ran it at 0psi for about 6 months on a wing and a prayer until I got the AD. Amazingly enough, this VP44 is still ticking!

• Staff

My understanding is that peak flow of the HX35 compressor wheel is at 3.0:1 and roughly 60 lb/min. It can run more pressure, but you lose flow.

That should let you run about 400-450 crank hp, at sea level, at 29-30 psi of boost. If you are at 450 crank hp, but not keeping the boost to 30 then your power potential actually decreases.

Set the wastegate to open at 28ish and hold you at 30, then add fuel until you hit a comfortable EGT level, and you should be able to push about 375 rwhp safely at sea level.

My understanding is that peak flow of the HX35 compressor wheel is at 3.0:1 and roughly 60 lb/min. It can run more pressure, but you lose flow.

That should let you run about 400-450 crank hp, at sea level, at 29-30 psi of boost. If you are at 450 crank hp, but not keeping the boost to 30 then your power potential actually decreases.

Set the wastegate to open at 28ish and hold you at 30, then add fuel until you hit a comfortable EGT level, and you should be able to push about 375 rwhp safely at sea level.

Who is this directed towards?

• Staff

Your FASS is plenty of fuel, a 480hp QSB 5.9 only needs 50 GPH so I am guessing that on a VP truck (a little more pressure is needed, thus a slightly larger pump per hp than a CR) that a 95 GPH pump can support 600ish rwhp, or more.

That would be a good match all around, fast spool, cool EGT's, good power, etc.

Would 125hp make it spool faster?

Or should I just stay with 100hp I mainly use the truck for daily driving and rarely just for fun

If you want a straight answer call a guy that goes by Maxtorq. Here is his website: http://www.maxtorqdiesel.com/ You will get a straight answer and absolutely no BS.

• Like 1