• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I went out and had some fun in my truck this weekend and now the power steering is acting up. I can't turn the wheels easy up less im on the throttle and i checked it for fluid and it is full still. is the pump starting to go out now?

Jack the front end up off the ground and block it up start the truck and try to go lock to lock and see if it has any issues. Binding ball joint, tie rod end binding? Check the wheel bearings while you are there. If it's hard to turn lock to lock and you don't have anything binding it might be a bad gear box or pump. 

ok i will try blocking it off the ground and see if anything is wrong and tell you my findings. it doesn't seem to bad going down the road but you can feel the pump is trying to work but right when i start turning it is the big problem.

So it's having a problem while your moving? My experience is if your moving the stearing will work fine. Maybe moan or groan if you are going slow, but highway speeds it works fine. Sounds like you've broke, bent, or bound something.

ok just did the test and it moves just fine when on the jacks back and forth i did this about 8 time each way and then when i put it back on the ground it would move easy a little bit then it would go back to hard as crap to move and i could never get it all the way over because it was to hard to turn. i think the pump is just starting to go out

• 6 months later...

I need some opinions on which powers steering box to replace my bad box with. I can get a rebuilt one from rock auto for 139 bucks.Borgeson and redhead are pretty pricey. Are they worth it for average driving ?, I don,t abuse my truck.Just wondering whateverybodies opinon is.

Edited by hodag56

It may have overflow valve, than it could have a weak spring, just thinking out loud.

Or over pressure valve.

This is on a 12 valve, but it's pretty much the same.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-powertrain/1387641-power-steering-pump-explained.html

Also

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-non-powertrain/1262601-how-remove-power-steering-box.html

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1997/19-10-97.htm

I need some opinions on which powers steering box to replace my bad box with. I can get a rebuilt one from rock auto for 139 bucks.Borgeson and redhead are pretty pricey. Are they worth it for average driving ?, I don,t abuse my truck.Just wondering whateverybodies opinon is.

I replaced mine with a rebuilt one from Advance Auto about six months ago. I haven't had any problems yet. Make sure you flush the system really well. As for the Borgeson, my guess is that they are better built and probably last a long time if you service the system regularly but I didn't have that kind of money to spend.

I replaced mine with a rebuilt one from Advance Auto about six months ago. I haven't had any problems yet. Make sure you flush the system really well. As for the Borgeson, my guess is that they are better built and probably last a long time if you service the system regularly but I didn't have that kind of money to spend.

thanks.

I can't justify that much money for a Borgeson even though they will probably last longer .MnTom suggest aNapa box .They are  on sale till dec. 24.th  He has  one and has never had  a problem. It has a 1year warranty.

Edited by hodag56

thanks.

I can't justify that much money for a Borgeson even though they will probably last longer .MnTom suggest aNapa box .They are  on sale till dec. 24.th  He has  one and has never had  a problem. It has a 1year warranty.

If it was me, I would consider rebuilding it myself, I'm not sure how much more you would have to take it apart from what I had in that thread, but it really is a simple design, and rockauto.com has a rebuild kit for less then $20.