• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Camper Trip with Bud's Duramax Following.....

JAG1

• Staff

A little surprising fuel tidbit......

We drove most of the day south after topping off at the same fuel stop before starting, me in my Cummins second gen, my bud in his Duramax, each with our slide in campers. When we got to our destination for the day and filled up again I pulled in first and filled up and the pump shut off at $98.89. My buddy pulls into the same pump, fills up and the pump shuts off at $98.89.

He's got heavier camper and 19.5 in wheels......

Edited by JAG1

I agree with John. I know of a ton of fuel pumps that will shut off right at or right before $100. I have no idea why that happens because if you are filling a diesel pickup or motorhome or whatever, it will take at least that much.

On a side note, I have heard of some dirtymaxs making close to what the cummins makes for mileage. I have never heard of one making any kind of mileage fully loaded like that though. Maybe he stopped at filled up somewhere throughout the day beforehand? Or where you guys running together pretty much all day?

• Staff

Your right! he was behind me all the way. Probably close enough for me to break up some wind pressure. We drove exactly the same mileage and number of feet to within a hundred feet or so. Don't know about the pump shut off point but it was the same amount and we were both topped off I'm pretty sure about that.

Most credit card companies (and bank debit cards for that matter) limit your transaction at fuel pumps to $100.00. I called mine and had the limit upped because I carry an auxuillary tank in the bed as well and can easily top $200 if I'm low and filling both tanks.

Edited by diesel4life
  • Like 1

That was the case for me at least. What's strange though is the card companies know the difference between using the card reader at the pump and swiping your card inside the store. There is a truck stop about 15 Miles north of me that I fill up at if I am in the area because they are always considerably cheaper than the local station. One day the card reader was broken so I went in and handed the attendant my card (not the one I had the limit increased with) and told them I was filling up. Can't remember the total but it was well over $100 bucks, went in and swiped it and punched in my pin and went on my way. The next time I swiped it through the card reader and was only able to fill to $100 and the pump stopped.

• Staff

Most credit card companies (and bank debit cards for that matter) limit your transaction at fuel pumps to $100.00. I called mine and had the limit upped because I carry an auxuillary tank in the bed as well and can easily top $200 if I'm low and filling both tanks.

Interesting, I have always understood it to be the pump. Some pumps limit my AMEX to $75, some to $100, and some to $125. I would have thought a bank would have a constant limit.

Maybe I will call and find out.

That was the case for me at least. What's strange though is the card companies know the difference between using the card reader at the pump and swiping your card inside the store. There is a truck stop about 15 Miles north of me that I fill up at if I am in the area because they are always considerably cheaper than the local station. One day the card reader was broken so I went in and handed the attendant my card (not the one I had the limit increased with) and told them I was filling up. Can't remember the total but it was well over $100 bucks, went in and swiped it and punched in my pin and went on my way. The next time I swiped it through the card reader and was only able to fill to $100 and the pump stopped.

The difference between the card reader and inside is that inside isn't a preauthorization its a regular purchase that requires a signature.

• Staff

Not sure exactly what your asking but you have to run a debit card the same as you would a credit card with the exception of using a PIN vs a signature.

Correct, but when inside they don't run the card until you have finished fueling and it's processed as a regular purchase and not a preauthorized sale like outside.