• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• 2 weeks later...

OK so a little more info - the rolling chassis (engine, trans, diff, front and rear axels) of the truck is out of a 2009 that was a rollover with 67.000 miles on it. Cab is from a - 2008 that was rear ended with 42,000 miles. Front end (hood, fenders, grill) is a mix match of trucks and god only knows where the bed came from...

So after getting a little more info on it I think I'm going to keep my truck.

• Like 1

...... I called it  FIRST!   :tongue:   LOL

In this  day and age,    finding  a  'deal'  that is legit  would be like  picking the powerball...    

On the other hand,  IF  done right,   and everything  checked out,    it   may not  be  a bad deal for  someone...      a  guy like me  for example,   where the  truck  works  really hard, and will show it  very soon!     

I'm  the last owner of  a  vehicle.   next in line is  the  recycler...      I wouldn't mind having  'rebuilt' or  'salvage'  on the title.

• Like 1

• Staff

...... I called it  FIRST!   :tongue:   LOL

In this  day and age,    finding  a  'deal'  that is legit  would be like  picking the powerball...    

On the other hand,  IF  done right,   and everything  checked out,    it   may not  be  a bad deal for  someone...      a  guy like me  for example,   where the  truck  works  really hard, and will show it  very soon!     

I'm  the last owner of  a  vehicle.   next in line is  the  recycler...      I wouldn't mind having  'rebuilt' or  'salvage'  on the title.

That's why I kept my 1st gen rather than trading it in. That first gen gets most of the real work and surprised how well it's held up.

My question is why have the second gens held such a tremendous value. They don't seem to depreciate much in other words.

They are tough, easy to work on, and cheap relative to 3rd gen+   I'd never trade mine for a 3rd gen! Someday I'll be burried in it

LOL....  when  wife  finds out  what's in store  for  the  '98....  SHE  may  bury ME!       I  am hoping  the   Jeep Liberty  I'm  getting her this week will  distract  her ...

I'd like to hear some actual input from cumminsforum or another big forum and get some actual polling numbers on how long guys are going on stock CR injectors or other major components.  We kinda get lost in time so the initial bad injector thing was also during the ULSD transition phase when LSD was still being flushed out.  So to use 2014 logic, are they actually screwing up like our 2003 logic keeps thinking?  I heard the injectors go out and they cost $1000 an injector, but that is ollld thinking.  I'd like to update that logic and get some actual numbers now that CR's are well, old.  I mean they are 11 years old now.  If everyone was changing out $1000 injectors every other mile, every CR would be in a junkyard by now.  So yeah, I wanna come up with a poll somewhere for some updated numbers.  

03-07 CR Injectors are not nearly that expensive (More like 4-500). The 6.7L I have no idea. From my experience they will live Much longer with aftermarket filtering, but on stock filtering I have seen them dye before 100k. (My buddy's went out at 98,500 on his 03) My brothers have lasted to 158k but he also has a fass 150 with dual filters.  I think 150k is about average for those injectors, then you are running on borrowed time. If I am wrong please correct me  :thumb1:

• Staff

I end up very surprised when I hear anyone say they are having injectors changed at under 200 k. Sometimes guys seem to act like it's no big deal/ are like spark plugs you change every so often. On my 1st gen I'm still on the originals with over 400 k. It's got a Racor 30 micron w/s prefilter is all.

• Like 1

My 06 currently has 223,000 on stock injectors and the stock fuel system. I would say they average around 100,000 miles easily. Most often the return gets high on them and that is why they are changes. Also high idle times take out injectors (stick them open). The less common problem is the electrical side of the injector going bad.

Good injectors rebuilt by bosch are around 360 each. Completly new injectors are around $550 each. 6.7s are around the same price.

The biggest thing is filtration. The 6.7s arent as bad because they have better filtration and are built better. Any little particle going through the injectors are like a sand blaster espcially at 25,000 psi. You cannot compare CR injectors to 12v or even vp injectors because the tollerances are tighter as well as the injector is firing atleast 3 times as much as the mechanical injectors. So obviously they are going to wear out quicker. And the people that idle thier pickups just amaze me. 3rd gens need a 2 micron fuel filter setup

Edited by mopartechnician

I sold my truck camper on ebay to a guy that bought it w an 04 reg cab 6-speed 2500. I believe the 3rd gens to be a muck beefier truck after crawling around & checking it out!. His 2500 didn't even drop after putting it on, w my 3500 it was considerably lower, my mud flaps would drag at times. Mine could have used some air bags when it was loaded down/up!

I'm keeping mine, but what problems do the CR's need tweeked? Our 24V's needed tweeked too, don't think I'm done geting it yet!

Dave

As stated, fuel filtering/water separation is key. The CP pump is bringing the pressures extremely high & the slightest amount of water flashes to steam. That causes damage to the pump, then that damage is passed onto the injectors & hangs them open. Then, you have a plasma cutter cutting through your piston. Then you have wiped bearings, due to the diluted fuel.

In the agricultural community I live in, there are virtually NO common rails left. Most have reverted to the older trucks, as they use their Ag bunker fuel, which is just not filtered well enough.

JAG1 is smart in his filter selection. Racor is the leader in the industry.

Ed

Please define  'going out'.      Is it the  electronic part.. or  the mechanical.   Maybe in this case  it's  one in the same?? :shrug:

In this case the return rate on the injectors was so high that the cp3 couldn't build any pressure. As stated before though, I have seen them stick open, and when you drive them like that it destroys that cylinder /  piston. The filtering is the other issue... one small piece of dirt, and it'll wipe out an injector. 

The difference here in this area, is that the cops, state police, farmers & DOT are all Mormon. They run the red dyed fuel all the time. They get it delivered to the farm to fill theit 500-1000 gallon tanks that are just not filtered or dewatered well at all. That has caused the demise of the common rails.

Ed

As stated, fuel filtering/water separation is key. The CP pump is bringing the pressures extremely high & the slightest amount of water flashes to steam. That causes damage to the pump, then that damage is passed onto the injectors & hangs them open. Then, you have a plasma cutter cutting through your piston. Then you have wiped bearings, due to the diluted fuel.

In the agricultural community I live in, there are virtually NO common rails left. Most have reverted to the older trucks, as they use their Ag bunker fuel, which is just not filtered well enough.

JAG1 is smart in his filter selection. Racor is the leader in the industry.

Ed

Wow I did not know that, I thought these were the engines to run BioDiesel in but since that fuel attracts even more water, probably not!