• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Replacement Alternator

I'll try talking to them but I'm not sure they get it. I explained what I needed and even showed them with my DVM but they had that blank stare. I've tried to explain to several people even let them read Mikes article but they just can't seem to grasp the concept. Everyone says oh you need an APPS sensor or APPS reset. It gets frustrating.

they probably rebuilt it with  inferior parts..  sorry to say.     It's getting really  tuff to find   oem  kits  to rebuild   starters or  alternators. 

Mexican  components   such as these,  or  light switches   sure look good,  but  have  less than  half the life of  original stuff.

I swear,   going to a  u-pull-it  salvage yard  is   going to  find  better  electronics  than  the  stuff  on the shelf these days.   Unfortunately,   you take the  sole chance the dang thing  is  burnt out  in the  first place..

• Like 1

• Staff

I go to the u-pull-it yards all the time. The problem; is the vehicle you need there, is the part you want still on the vehicle, and is the part better than you have at home. You can spend a lot of time and get nothing or score big. What I've found is the starter motors and alternators have all ready been replaced and most of the time you don't know who rebuilt it.  

Keep in mind that the AC noise doesn't just effect the transmission. It is also harmful to the other computers like the ECM and PCM. Both auto and manual trucks really shouldn't be exposed to excessive AC noise at all. It is just a lot more noticeable in the auto trucks I think.

Don't forget about the PSG:thumb1:  I don't think it likes AC either.... As mike has said, that may be a major contributor to VP failures

I'll take Mexican parts over Chinese any day !!!!!! Yeah, I really said that.

Ed

you mean.....  there is  even  lower grade stuff out there??  geeezzz      I gotta  really start  watching the boxes!  

but dang it,    I'd  LOVE  to buy  USA!!     It's  soooooo hard   to find anymore!

• Staff

I just go for new only and think that the Nippon Denso Alternators are best. changed mine over to a new ND and the AC voltage/ noise is very low.

I never go for rebuilt as I can save more time not exchanging rebuilt alternators. Plus a book I have explains all the shenanigans that rebuilders try to pull with their tactics. There are many shortcuts they can take in the process.

Edited by JAG1

• Owner

Mine I've got a NAPA reman alternator on my truck had it tested at the store before I even paid for it. It tested out 0.01 to 0.02 AC volts. I was happy and paid the bill and left. All you got to do is require to have them bench test it for diode performance. If you want you could have it test with a digital meter too as its being spun.

As for the Mean Green you have to consider re-wiring the charge lead and also getting a 220-230 amp fuse to change out the OE fuse. For daily driver its just way too much rebuilding to just get a low AC noise alternator.

wiringdiagram.jpg

Mine I've got a NAPA reman alternator on my truck had it tested at the store before I even paid for it. It tested out 0.01 to 0.02 AC volts. I was happy and paid the bill and left. All you got to do is require to have them bench test it for diode performance. If you want you could have it test with a digital meter too as its being spun.

As for the Mean Green you have to consider re-wiring the charge lead and also getting a 220-230 amp fuse to change out the OE fuse. For daily driver its just way too much rebuilding to just get a low AC noise alternator.

wiringdiagram.jpg

Mike, I can't afford the mean green anyway.  I ordered a new one from the alternator shop today and should be here tomorrow. I asked if I could check it with my multimeter on the bench and he said sure but it wouldn't show anything because the voltage regulator wouldn't be hooked up through the truck.  Shouldn't just spinning the alternator and checking the ac output work?

Mike I cleaned grounds again yesterday and test drove. No symptoms now. I just checked the alternator per your video exactly. My meter is reading 0.02-0.03 back and forth. Is this too high? I went to Napa and had them bench test a brand new alternator and it was putting out 0.03 to 0.04 so I didn't buy it.  I've been driving the truck all morning still with no symptoms. Do you think I should continue my search for a new alternator? I went ahead and had them order a reman for me just in case that will be here around lunch.