• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VP44 help

Changed out a perfectly running HOVP44, for a SOVP44. Reason for the change was to help out in the top end, truck specs are: 2002 ram 2500, BD R700 twins, SAC 7x12 injectors (DAP), Airdog 200, springs & pushrods, arp 425's.

We can't seem to keep the truck running now, impossible to start when hot, (starts fine cold), and if we immediately let off the throttle it dies. The SOVP44 was purchased from DAP. Batteries are brand new, full tank of fuel, no codes, timbo apps reset, blead the whole fuel system 4 times (high n low pressure), tried dropping the fuel pressure from 18psi all the way down to 12psi, no help, also pulled the Airdog fuse. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Pressure was 20psi with the HO pump and never had a problem. We would have thrown the HO back in but it was sold to a customer.

Dropped the pressure all the way down to 14psi on the SO, and it's still hard starting. Do you think this is a bad reman pump from DAP, I'm trying to work with them to take the pump back and fix it.

• 1 month later...

I am subscribing to this thread for my own knowledge.  Perhaps I have incorrect information or have been out of the loop for too long but it was my understanding (whether correct or not) that the HOVP44 and SOVP44 are NOT interchangeable and required different ECM's to operate.  Perhaps someone could clarify this for me?  Thanks!  :thumb1:

Changed out a perfectly running HOVP44, for a SOVP44. Reason for the change was to help out in the top end, truck specs are: 2002 ram 2500, BD R700 twins, SAC 7x12 injectors (DAP), Airdog 200, springs & pushrods, arp 425's.

We can't seem to keep the truck running now, impossible to start when hot, (starts fine cold), and if we immediately let off the throttle it dies. The SOVP44 was purchased from DAP. Batteries are brand new, full tank of fuel, no codes, timbo apps reset, blead the whole fuel system 4 times (high n low pressure), tried dropping the fuel pressure from 18psi all the way down to 12psi, no help, also pulled the Airdog fuse. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

I wouldn't mess with anything but vp, if it worked prefect before and you changed vp than there is your problem. I've done that mistake before on a gas engine changed a part and it ran like crap so... Start throwing parts at it just to come back to a brand new part that was defective. Or maybe something got unplugged while removing and installing vp, make sure all wires are plugged in all the way. When I bought my truck vp plug was half way out not sure how it was running.

His already got sent back to Midwest FI & they deemed damage from either gasoline or 2 stroke by smelling it. Sent it back & neither the rebuilder or the vendor will honor their warranty. Bad form.

Ed

That just sucks ***, everyone seem to like DAP but I had some problems with them, and i was willing to work with them but was really hard to get my point across, I don't want to go In detail but they even admitted their fault and still wanted me to pay. I personally not going to deal with them anymore. Make your own opinion.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
language