• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

There is a hybrid. Many manufacturerstudents made them to varying degrees of quality. I have one. It's a step up from the stock, but is kinda laggy at times and i have way too much fuel for it. I am planning on upgrading to a bigger turbo when possible.

The 40 itself comes in many different flavors and is known for shearing shafts when barked and run hard. I would stay away unless it's cheap, gated, and you know what exhaust housing it has.

I installed the HX35/40 hybrid on my gen 2 truck.  It has the 14cm2 exhaust.  My truck originally had the HX35 with the 12cm2 exhaust, but the oil seal started leaking pretty good so I went with an upgrade rather than just rebuild the stock unit.  I run the 65hp quadzilla ZXT chip and 4" exhaust (turbo back).  The turbo was a little laggy off the line but had a better pull than the stock turbo when passing.

I then installed the RV275 injectors and there is no lag now and there is no smoke whether I mash the pedal from a stop or when passing.

This setup made my truck a real screamer.  I have positract in the rear and if if I mash the pedal from a stop (non-boosted launch) I can easliy break the rear tires loose with my auto transmission.  Couldn't come close to doing that before the mods (unless I was starting on some gravel).

I have been running it for several years now and have over 50k miles since the install and everything is working really good.

Everyone that drives the truck comments on it being a hot rod. :wink:

• Like 1

I would gladly upgrade if there was a upgrade turbo that accepted the Jacobs Exhaust brake on the back.

I don't know anything about the Jacobs brake but if you have an HX35 and the Jacob brake fits in place of the stock elbow, then  I am pretty sure it will still fit the hybrid also (with no special mods).

When I got my hybrid, it was a specific requirement that it had to fit my existing manifold and elbow and down pipe with zero modifications required.  And it did. :hyper:

Now I have a PacBrake on my gen 3 and it fits right into the area that the original elbow (that connects the turbo to the downpipe) .  No mods required to anything.  Just replace the elbow with the brake and everything mates up perfectly.   If the Jacob brake works the same way then I think you would be golden.

There's a number of different hx40 compressor and turbine variations.

You need to measure the turbine compressor and get the housing side

Can you spell this out a little more clearly as to what I should measure? As I said turbo stuff is way beyond me... I've also been wondering is it possible to make a hybrid myself out of my turbo and his? I have a Pacbrake and would like to keep it if possible which I now know is possible after what war eagle said.

For a hybrid what you do is take a hx40 compressor cover and wheel and have the hx35 cartridge machined to accept the bigger hx40 wheel. there are 2 different mounting styles for the compressor cover though, one is a V-band clamp and the other is called a slip on that uses a big snap ring, so you would have to make sure the cover mounting styles are the same as well.

• Like 1

For a hybrid what you do is take a hx40 compressor cover and wheel and have the hx35 cartridge machined to accept the bigger hx40 wheel. there are 2 different mounting styles for the compressor cover though, one is a V-band clamp and the other is called a slip on that uses a big snap ring, so you would have to make sure the cover mounting styles are the same as well.

Exactly what was explained to me when I was investigating my install.  I have the v band elbow on my hybrid and that was the same on my stock HX35.  I also got a larger 14cm2 turbine housing as I wanted to lower my drive pressure.  That is the reason why I had a little lag (on the low end).  But then when I installed the RV275 injectors they lite the turbo down low and no more low end lag,

If you stayed with the 12cm2 housing you might not see that initial lag(as I did) but your drive pressures will be higher.

I have a 35/40 with the 12 cm gated housing I went this way because I was afraid of lag (mistake), I replaced my turbo because it was leaking oil and end play was close to out of spec.  In a fairly stock form truck no programmer, no sticks, 4 inch turbo back exhaust and BHAF intake, the 35/40 12cm does not lag much more than stock and gets better mid range pulling power, the major downfall is as war eagle mentioned is the drive pressure is higher so controlling egts on long grades will be harder but not impossible I love the 12cm hole-shot but if I were to do it over I would go with 14 understanding in stock form you will have lag but once you add sticks and a good programmer which most of us do you will have a good reliable setup that doesn't have you concerned about egt's when pulling hard on steep long grades (almost forgot to mention with this setup you can enjoy the smile on your face when passing the ford in the slow lane with a 12,000 pound trailer in tow) :thumb1:

Edited by MoparFreak1988