• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

..feels like I'm getting kicked in kisser

Alright, so not only do I have steering components to replace, now I may be facing a 2nd replacement of the AD pump! :duh:

I went and got fuel the other day and dunno if that is the problem or not. We had a good cold snap come through before I filled up and put some diesel 911 in just in case it got colder than the formula for the fuel.

They were telling us to expect -20 with wind chill at the time but the coldest we got with wind chill was -7 I think. It did not last long, but I did not want to risk getting stuck somewhere I shouldn't. The fuel was rated for -10. During this time, pressures were good. It was not until after I filled the tank and put more 911 in to treat the fuel that I started having problems.

Now, when I first noticed the problem, pressures were at 12 psi and stayed close and never got below 10. After running a little it may have gotten up to 14psi.

I waited a couple days and this evening, idling without grids on, I get about 15psi. So I got under the truck and I could hear a different distinct noise coming from the pump that does not sound normal. Almost like a whirring noise as if maybe I'm sucking air. I really don't know if it is sucking air, but I would imagine this could be a sound as if it were.

I upped the pressure to get the proper pressures, but something strange happens as well. I will turn it up slowly and watch the gauge as I do. Once I turn it at certain point, like a 1/16th of a turn, the pressure suddenly spikes and maxes out the gauge. So I turn it back down slowly and the pressure falls off. Its like I no longer get that infinite adjustment and it just goes from one pressure reading to spiking.

Could the pump be the culprit or is it the regulator? Could it be poor fuel quality or some gelled fuel getting freed up or stuck? I went to a fuel station that a local fuel company supplies and they provide all the diesel fuel in the area. They are called Coleman oil.

...so help me if this pump strands me again! This would be the second time I would have to replace the pump if its the problem! :rolleyes:

Edited by hex0rz
  • Like 1

First question... How old is the Air Dog? If it is recent I would have to say the O ring that keeps fuel out of the pump motor may have bit the dust. 

As for air I guess it is a possibility, but the only way to tell would be a piece of clear line after the lift pump. 

I have gelled 3 or 4 times in the last 2 years and your problem does not sound like gelling. If it was the problem would have happened with the cold snap.

The bad fuel sounds fairly likely because of the timing you are talking about. Have you checked the filters to see if they are plugged? (I would replace them just for the heck of it) I personally would pull the bed or drop the tank to take a look inside and check the quality of the diesel. Hopefully you figure it out!

The first pump died on me because of the oring seal. When that one died,the fuse just kept blowing and the pump would not prime nor run.

Maybe it made this same noise before as well and i just didn't hear it.

How do i check to see if the filters are plugged?

If i really need to check the fuel Olli use my inspection camera.

Wind chill numbers should not affect the gelling point of fuel. Only the actual temperature. No matter the windspeed, the ambient temp stays the same. Time for another pump. It should net at all affect the adjustment range of the regulator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_chill

Ed

I am not talking about gelling point alone but more generically, that's what the science should be but I and every other tech in the northern plains all can and will testify that there is are "PFM" powers at work because at equal sub zero temps the same piece of equipment acts and starts differently when it is parked out of the wind versus in direct wind all other factors being the as close to the same as possible. :shrug:

Additives were added before pumping fuel...

I brought up the idea of wind chill because I do think it does affect temperatures. Same principle of a person's skin. Any heat at the surface of the skin is stripped away from the wind.

I just replaced the fuel filter and was able to get 2 so I've got an extra. It worked! So well i even had to turn the regulator down! Looks like according to Mike i have another couple years before i replace the water separator.

Thanks for the help fellas.

guys, When we find a filter snotted over, don't assume it happened overnight, or with the one blast of cold. Believe me, It's probably been building up since Thanksgiving or even earlier, and this last cold spell was the final straw. Lord only knows what kind of snot is in there from a summer of running biodiesel.

Keeping spare filters ONHAND is the best investment... changing out the filters OFTEN is just a necessary evil of diesel ownership.

Cousin runs otr truck, and he runs a gauge between the lp and the pre filter (suction side) when it drops to a certain level, he changes the filters. Not sure how'd this would work on a airdog or fass, maybe there is a port on the pump body?

• Like 1

I would personally look into the opti-lube winter blend. It keeps the pump lubed up nicely http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/36-fuel-system/68-hfrr-testing-of-common-diesel-fuel-additives

Speaking of this list, I would like to see where the regular old Howes would be on the list. That Howes meaner kleaner that is listed is really more of a fuel system cleaner than an antigel. They also have a regular antigel additive as well.

Update. Full tank of "winter blend" plus liberal amounts of power service since I couldn't find Howes anywhere. Gelled yesterday at -12 deg. Changed filters last night, drove 15 miles to work today and gelled after work after 5 minutes of idling. So there it will sit until April.

Update. Full tank of "winter blend" plus liberal amounts of power service since I couldn't find Howes anywhere. Gelled yesterday at -12 deg. Changed filters last night, drove 15 miles to work today and gelled after work after 5 minutes of idling. So there it will sit until April.

If you really want to get it back on the road, try some PS "911" Take the filters off, shake out as much gelled fuel as you can, and refill with that product. Put the remainder (up to the required amount) in the tank.

Your fuel is clouded, and no amount of howes, or any product similar will work to clear it up. Pulling it into a heated garage speeds it up too..

Man, just as I've said for several years now.. just because they claim 'winterized', or blended.. it's still a crap shoot..

I used to make a 50/50 blend of #1 and #2 work just fine... now it has to be closer to 75% #1

I like your name, there is a guy not far from here that has a slant 6 in a modified tractor puller, called the same..Buzznhalfadozen

I wonder if I could call my Jeep "buzzinthirddozen"? :)

Buzzinthirddozen ha I like it, is that because it only runs on three cylinders.

The problem is I have to drive 40 to 80 miles for decent fuel. I thought I could take the station owners word that it's blended to 15 below. I know where I can get a 250 gal fuel oil tank I'm thinking about buying in bulk from a known good source.

Also been looking around the artic fox website. Some expensive stuff but at $45 every 15 miles for filters it might be cost effective.

I just bought their (arctic fox) Linehauler inline heater. No, It isn't installed yet! I got it for my daily chore tractor, and it was delivered last week...

It's got 1/2 inch coolant ports, and 3/8ths fuel. I cheaped out and didn't get the model with a thermostat, or electric assist.

They 'claim' a 90 degree rise in fuel temp..

If it works out, I'm going to do at least one of the Rams with one.

Here it is.. Doesn't work worth a darn sitting in the house!

post-980-0-00704600-1420598832_thumb.jpg

Edited by rancherman