• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What company's VP44

Well I have to say I wish I had found this site years ago.  I have a quick question and hope it doesn't open a can of worms.  I have a friend who's VP44 has gone out.  He is looking for a replacement.  He does not have a lot of money to spend so I suggested to him that I would sell him my pump out of my truck for the core cost and get a new rebuilt for my truck.  Nothng wrong with mine but I like to head things off at the pass before I have problems.  I have almost a 100,000 miles on my 2000 Dodge 2500.  If this were your truck Mr Nelson who's pump would you go with.  I'm looking at  pump from Blue Chip Diesel.  Cost is not an issue and I don't want a hot rodded pump.

Thanks everyone.

Wes.

My advice is "No matter what you do buy from one of our vendors. They will stand behind their product. I broke down on the freeway and had to be towed into the nearest diesel repair shop in Montgomery, Alabama and boy did get screwed every way you could imagine. I have no clue where they got the replacement IP or if it was new or rebuilt. I do know that they spilled some type of chemical on the hood and front fender that ate the paint off and stole my factory steps. They charged me $2850.00 to get my truck back.

I have replaced my lift pump a few years ago with a FASS and my friend has had his replaced with an intank lift pump.  I don't know what brand he used.  Again I replaced mine to stay ahead of potential problems that a bad lift pump will cause.

The only in-tank pump that I know of is the dodge replacement (If I'm wrong someone please correct me). The Dodge replacement does NOT flow enough fuel to keep the vp44 happy. Your friend will likely eat another pump if he does not get a good fuel system ASAP. Another question... Do you or your friend have fuel pressure gauges in the cab?

• Like 1

I have a gauge in my cab.  It runs about 14 to 16 lbs at idle and around 12 to 14  at hwy speeds.  I don't know what his is.  He is convinced his problem is the injector pump, me not so much.  I'm going to do some testing on the lift pump in his before changing it.  His surges at hwy speeds and he says now its shuting off going down the road and then will fire back up.

His is probably running out of fuel inside the pump and the pump is trying to pull it's own. That's great you have one! Now see if you can turn the pressure up on yours so that it never drops below 14lbs. That is the pressure that the overflow valve opens at. If you have good fuel return, then the computer on the top of the pump will stay cool. 

I'm just concerned with mine because when I replaced my lift pump with the FASS the truck had about 85,000 miles on it, it now has 92,000, so most of its life was spent with the factory lift pump.  If his is the lift pump again its probably already damaged the injector pump. 

Does anyone know if other rebuilders sleeve there pump housings like Blue Chip claims to do.

Edited by WesHawkins

• Owner

Personally in vendor that deals with Industrial Diesel. (CPP or Vulcan Performance) All Industrial Injection pumps come with a NEW PSG for a low price already. Then Industrial Injection has in house Bosch 815 test stands to calibrate the PSG properly.

http://www.cppdiesel.com/industrial-injection-vp44/

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/VP44-SO-1998-5-02-Dodge-5-9L-24V-235-Hp-VP44-Bos-p/iis0470506027.htm

Blue Chip sorry to say is too expensive for a VP44 with new PSG. Blue Chip does NOT have a Bosch 815 test stand and has to ship everything off to unknown location/shop to be calibrated.

2e3ah3t.jpg

33erjhw.jpg

Ya when I get his truck I'm going to check the lift pump pressure and APPS.  If its a lift pump again, he had one already at about 110,000 miles and now has 235,000 on it it probalby damaged the injector pump also.  I'm going to sell him my pump for the cost of the core and then use his as a core for mine.  I want to get the best pump I can get for my truck and it sounds like a CPP from industrial injection would be the best bet.

Thanks everyone.

Wes.

• Like 1

My thoughts on getting a IP for my rig even though I don't seem to be having any issues right now is these fuel systems are now 13 years old and I worry that they will be harder and harder to come by as time goes on.  I don't drive mine a lot, mostly for towing and hauling.  It had 42,000 on in 02 when I got it and now only has 92,000 on it.  I plan on keeping this truck for another ten years, no plans on getting rid of it.  I just want to stay ahead of problems.

In my mind It's pointless to throw another vp44 on it when your's isn't showing signs of dying. 

VP44's will be for sale for the next 20 years without a doubt.  My OEM vp44 lasted until 210,000 miles, if your's is feed well and taken care of I don't see any reason to believe that your's won't also make it that long.   There is risk in getting a rebuilt vp44 regardless of who from. 

Selling your's to him for core price really shafts you as you are then forced to pay the additional core price for the new pump.  I understand being a good friend ETC, buf you don't wnat to hurt your well being in the process. 

Edited by me78569

If you really want a pump, find a used core on Craigslist or at a yard. Then order a pump to put on your desk... that should ensure your oem pump never fails.

Weird multi post thing just happened.

Edited by CSM

What I was going to do was charge him the core charge for my pump and turn his pump in for the core for mine plus charge him the labor for the installation.  I would end up getting mine payed for by almost half but now I'm thinking of leaving mine alone until it goes out.  I might get a lot more miles out of it than I think especially since I take care of mine and don't abuse the truck.  This truck is really spoiled.

• Like 1