• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Well, the airdog, once again..

Last night, was driving around doing errands and suddenly a voice told me look at your fuel pressure. Pressure was at 12psi and kept an eye on it. Would stay steady at this pressure driving around but was ready to shut her down If needed. Guess the filter replacement didn't Fox my problem.

Got home waited to clear the ecu and bump stated it. Pump sounded like it was dying!

Guess I'm going to be calling airdog in the morning for a replacement! Shoot, first one went 9 months, this time almost 3 years...

Ya. You get to the point of replacing a pump at least yearly. No matter how many free pumps they give you, you are still going to have to change it out in another year. There are a few of us that have actually torn down our pumps to see what fails inside. They are surprisingly simple and easy to get parts for once you get it apart. Couple bearings, the seal, not much else. There should be a thread going about it somewhere...

There are a couple of issues that have plagued the airdogs in the past.

1. seal leaking causing diesel in motor.

2. machining issues the regulator housing that causes small cuts in the oring.  ( causing unreliable pressure)

3. very poor customer service. :lmao:

....sigh. I'll do my best to repeat this verbatim.

Got a hold of them and dude told me, "we expect these pumps to have an average service life of about 4 years"

What? He said this is why they have lifetime warranty. He said 4years was pretty hard wear and tear on a pump.

Gave me the shpiel about other companies not comparing to them and not as good d they are about warranty.

He said he wouldn't give me the new g4 design but he swears up and down that the motor I'll be getting will be good since they no longer use the manufacturer that gave them the bad batch of motors that caused them such a headache..

Hmmm.... I think i might do a little experiment this time. I think i might crack both pumps open side by side when i get it and see if that really is true.

Won't get my pump until Wednesday or so.. Said i could pay overnight shipping but wouldn't get it until Monday anyways.

Great, so i get to figure out wtf to do for transportation... Telling him that i couldn't rely on the pump didn't really seem to bother him. It's what they've come too expect. That's frustrating. Why do we live in the world of warranties instead of just making it right the first time!

As far as lift pumps go, wife had the idea of getting the new pump and selling the while shebang and buying a different one. Except i really dunno who to trust and go with. I'm tired of playing games. I just want a freaking pump that i don't need to worry about again!

What's the consensus on the mechanical pumps. I always told myself that if i did it again i would go mechanical. But, IIRC, something was going on with them too,right?

• Owner
Got a hold of them and dude told me, "we expect these pumps to have an average service life of about 4 years"

Hmmm... Maybe if Charlie (Original Owner) still ran the show the pump would last as long as mine I'm on my home stretch for 10 years. I purchased my AirDog 150 from GOS Performance in 2006.

Maybe if AirDog would listen to the customer base and suggestion maybe it would still be the same long lasting pumps.

I have the fuel boss and I have had zero issues with it.  Pressure rides steady at 16-17 PSI whether it is hot, cold, idle, or WOT.  Installation was a breeze and Richard at GDP was great to work with.  I installed mine a year ago and that is only about 7k miles so I guess I really don't have as much time as others have had with their elec pumps.  I have no regrets and would do it again.

• Like 2

Do not get a DTT Assasin. So many problems that I have witnessed in person as of now. I would really look at the FASS option. Your truck is already plumbed for an electric pump anyway. It would be easy to just throw the FASS up there and hook everything back up, theoretically. I still have a FASS that was over 8 years old and still pumped!! Sounded like a bearing was out and that is the only reason I switched to the raptor. I must have gotten the raptor before they made the manufacturing changes because its about 2 years old now and about 30k miles on it. Still holding pressure steady. :pray:  :pray: :pray:  

• Like 1

I wish I still had Charlies number.  He made ALOT of claims about stuff changing, for the better, last year with airdog and I don't see it.  There customer service is still some of the worst I have ever dealt with. 

4 year life span??? really???  If they are going to lie they should at least give a good number.

Now,here's something to poke a stick at.. Been thinking, the fuel boss doesn't come with a filtration system.that was a big selling point for me with the air dog.

What if i tried to supplement the mechanical with the air dog. Would the air dog be too restrictive on flow if i only had it there to utilize for priming?

It would only run when the Hobbs switch doesn't see pressure.

It's either that or i use it as a bypass system and get it to prime for me when needed and its there to use if the mechanical died on me.

I'd still have to get a filter block for the mechanical system,though..

Anyone wanna buy an air dog system, lol!

Hmmm... Maybe if Charlie (Original Owner) still ran the show the pump would last as long as mine I'm on my home stretch for 10 years. I purchased my AirDog 150 from GOS Performance in 2006.

Maybe if AirDog would listen to the customer base and suggestion maybe it would still be the same long lasting pumps.

Had my GDP Walbro set up about as long!! :thumb1:  :hyper:

If you used your AD for priming only it would DEF be a restriction.  The bypass port ( don't remember exactly)  was enough to allow the injection pump to suck "enough" fuel to get you home.

Start sarcasm,

You could just install some camper jacks in the bed of the truck and jack the tail of the truck up to 30* to have gravity prime your system????  Gravity is about as reliable as a BMW m30 running forever, or I guess a ford 300 for you domestic guys.

At this point, i dunno if i could resell the system to anyone even with a 0hr replacement pump. I'd even feel bad about doing it too.

Just got off the phone with fass. Not sure I'm hot on them either. Lady told me that their expected service life was the equivalent of 2.5years.

Sounds like I'm going to need too jump ship on the electric pumps...