• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

12 volt air compressor

I'm thinking about getting this air compressor and plumb it in to my rear bumper for an aux tank, http://www.amazon.com/Viair-45040-450C-Air-Compressor/dp/B000FQ78VI  Anyone else done this and maybe a good place to put it in? I'm thinking under bed where spear tire used to be, or under hood but not much room there. I think it would be nice to have for air bags and if pulling trailer you can always fix a flat and air it up. I know I could buy a cheap one that plugs in cigarette lighter but I would rather go this way.

I would attempt to mount that compressor some where dry and low dust levels. Sure would suck to ruin a compressor drowning it with lots of road water or lots of dust to ruin the piston.

That's what I was thinking too, maybe it will fit under back seat, might be noisy a bit but only temporary. Also maybe tool box but sometimes I remove it for more space. I don't think there is good place under hood but I'll look when I get it. If I come up with something good I'll take a few pic. and post them.

Thank you very much! that helped. Have you had any problems with parts? And that relay with pressure switch working good? I just ordered the one I posted link to and I don't think it comes with anything, so I'll have to get a pressure switch and relay too, not sure if I can find one locally or just get the one from viair I'm thinking 90 to 120 should be all I need. Edited by Dieselfuture

I used Viair parts but bought them on Amazon rather that from Viair.  Less money and free shipping.

There are two different styles of pressure switches with various pressure ratings to match your needs and the relay if you need it was like 6 bux.

If you decide to do on-board-air then I would recommend you mount the compressor somewhere that will allow you to keep the inlet filter in a dry and relative dust free area.

I found 3 of those type of locations on my truck.  Inlet filter mounted up high between the cab and front pickup bed, inlet filter in the engine compartment or inlet filter inside the cab someplace.

As you can see I have the compressor mounted under the truck between the frame rail and the outside body of the truck.  I built a splash guard to help keep heavy water and snow off the compressor and tank and electrical connections.

You can't ford any deep creeks or water with it mounted under the truck but I have not had a spec of problems with my setup. Everything (including electrical connections) has worked fine for over the last year and half that I had installed it.

The setup operates my pacbrake, my air horn and allows me to air up tires, tubes, floats etc.

Any one has pictures of rear air bags set up, and part #s ? i looked at few and would like to go with the ones that mount to axle and frame and replaces bottom out blocks, instead of the ones that mount to leaf spring. Plus I got goose neck plates that run along the frame on the out side, so I don't want to mess with that part. I can't seem to find a good description of how they mount.   

• Staff

I have a Viair 480C installed in my tool box, it's very handy and was an easy install. 

If I didn't have a tool box, or room inside the cab, my next choice would be between the bed and bedside foreward of the rear tire basically opposite the fuel filler neck. I would mount the pump in a box that didn't have a top, with a drain hole, and mount the box to the bed. I would then use the remote intake filter and move it somewhere I felt was cleaner. If you crawl up under the truck and look up you will see that part doesn't get much direct abuse. 

War Eagle some day I'm going to have to call you when I'm down in the Boise area and take a peek at your setup.

Sure, give me a call and we can meet up.  We can meet some where for lunch if you would like.  See my offer below.

Did you say lunch at Twin Peaks?

Don't go into Boise much and Twin Peaks is probably more rowdy and loud than I would choose but hey I would be glad to spot lunch for you all at a good lunch buffet or pizza joint.  Someone cover the liquid refreshments and I'll cover the food!

I'd meet you from Oregon if lunch is there

You would be welcome to join in! See above offer.

• Like 2

I got a York 210R direct coupled to a winch motor running to an old 14 gal propane tank.  There are ½" lines running to each bumper.  The pressure switch is set for 110/140#.  I use the system mostly for my Nathan K3HA.  Everything is mounted where the spare tire used to go.  I'll post pictures later of the setup.

• Like 1

Being winch motors are designed as intermittent duty, how long can you run that system before you have to allow it to cool down? I'm sure the load is substantially less but I imagine being direct coupled (vs gear reduction on a winch) there is some work involved. I know my 12k pounder is plenty warm after 2-3 minutes of a good pull. Sounds like you have plenty of capacity, it sounds like a good system.

Actually this is a 100% duty motor, but it runs for about 90secs to fill the tank.  It just pulls a mass of amps when it breaks over 110psig.  it will drive the alternator VR offline on low volts.  I am going to change my setup to include a 30amp self reset breaker to split the batteries out.  When running a ½" impact, the compressor cycles a lot since it puts out more air than the wrench can use.  I normally just leave it off until the wrench calls for more air.  Can usually get all but one lug nut off with just the tank.

Not the best picture, but you get the idea.  

BbMHgM.jpg

• Like 1

Anyhow this is what I did, and still thinking about plumbing air inlet of compressor to air filter of the truck. I ran a piece of 1/2" pex as conduit to run all of my wires and have a few extra for future. Ashtray is where I used an old plate number to put a gage and switch in, and have extra room for more. I wanted to put it all inside of ashtray and hide it but there isn't much room that way. The compressor is sitting on 1/8 " stainless steel window brackets for commercial windows(got a friend that installs them) and an old aluminum sign for heat shield and that's where I mounted pressure switch, that is 90-120 psi. seemed like that was a good place for it all.

post-1102-0-55725600-1428243094_thumb.jp

post-1102-0-82058200-1428243108_thumb.jp

post-1102-0-21286000-1428243121_thumb.jp