• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Teardown and Rebuild

Thanks Randy. Just another thing to watch out for with the pistons! MoparMan, when this is all over and I'm back at school I will attempt to consolidate this massive thread into an article.

Tappets that got lost in shipping will be here Thursday. Oil cooler gaskets showed up today and were free. Machine shop didn't know why they weren't in the kit.

Got these in tonight. 

IMG_20150623_221714_995_zpsgcdmo0pk.jpg

• Staff

the cr piston coolers actually spray into a orifice into the piston especially on the bottom end of the stroke and also have the cooler nozzles as the vp pistons so they get twice the cooling ability.

The CR's can use both style coolers but there are blue plugs for the older style piston coolers so only the J-jets are used in stock form. 

There are some people that use both for race motors and some that think it drops pressure to the nozzles too much and just use the J-jets on CR motors. 

Is that a photo of the billet cooler jets?

Sure are! Almost 60 bucks for those little pieces of aluminum...

ARE THERE ANY PICTURES ANYONE WOULD LIKE BEFORE I START ASSEMBLING THIS MOTOR?? Let me know and I'll see what I can do. I'm hoping to start this weekend.

Finally got some time to work on the truck tonight. Been doing hay for the last week and haven't even touched it.

Painted the manifold, turbo exhaust housing. turbo cartridge, and manifold bolts. I was very pleased with the way everything turned out! The manifold almost doesn't look like the stocker.

IMG_20150701_223219_789_zpswl8osket.jpg

IMG_20150701_223311_670_zpsti5okeyh.jpg

IMG_20150701_223344_953_zpsharfwonw.jpg

IMG_20150701_223607_046_zpslwelbbci.jpg

IMG_20150701_223829_317_zpspgnr29qm.jpg

IMG_20150701_224110_930_zpsudj8jjbr.jpg

I also got the 104# high lift springs in tonight. From the side they don't look much different than the stock springs, but they are WAY harder to squeeze. They also have a larger diameter.

IMG_20150701_232924_199_zpsffxza2lb.jpg

IMG_20150701_233005_660_zpsacktmpqj.jpg

Few random pics of installing springs

IMG_20150701_233303_704_zpsz58h6usx.jpg

IMG_20150701_232902_736_zpsflofisr5.jpg

One day I'll have to the valve seals in my beast that doesn't look too hard to do. Curious who's valve spring tool is that it not Torky Tekonologies.

No it's not bad once you have the springs off. Even easier with the head off and no oil in it! The tool is from CPP diesel. It came with my brothers valve springs (bought last Thanksgiving.) If you'd like to borrow it just let me know it's all yours.

I'd say upgrade to a 3 piece manifold while you have it off, but I installed an ATS one this winter, and it didn't do a darn thing power/flow rise, at least not noticeable. 

attachicon.gif008 (7).JPG

It'll get a manifold when I go twins. I don't want to drill the top side of a new manifold only to flip it over and drill two more holes. And like you said I don't think the performance gains constitute buying one at this time.

I think this absolutely needs to be done differently than previous Articles, Justice would not be done to the WEALTH of great information housed in this thread.

I think a lot of information will get lost in the Basic Traditional format, you no" trying to summarize it". I would go with A layout such as chapter and page's with using attached links to each segment of the rebuild

Like maybe the TITLE would be      "5.9 Cummins Bullet Proof Rebuild"    This would be the  Pinned Article page 

Then the link or icon WHICH REFERS to attached article segments stored in Photo bucket, iCloud ,etc..for each segment "Chapter of the rebuild like

1. REMOVAL FROM TRUCK

2. ENGINE BLOCK DISSEMBLED  

​                                                      3.  "STARTING BACK TOGETHER" ENGINE BLOCK REBUILD

• Reinstall RODS AND MAINS Bearings, and CRANK
  • REINSTALL CAM bearings And cam
  • Reinstall Tappet covers
  • reINSTALL front timing and accessory Gears
  • reinstall fnt timing gear case assembly 
  • List of UPGRADED Parts and vendors used
  • Discussion

4. ​​CYLINDER HEAD REBUILD​​

• Dissembled from block
  • Machine work
  • Valves Reinstalled
  • List of upgraded parts and vendor used
  • Discussion

5.   FINAL ASSEMBLY  

• Mating Cyl. head back to block
  • reinstall exh. manifold
  • Intake cover
  • turbo 
  • ALT
  • P/S Vacuum pump
  • ECM
  • VP PUMP
  • Fuel injectors crossover tubes
  • fuelines
  • front gear case cover
  • Thermostat housing assem
  • waterpump 
  • FAN

6. ENGINE REINSTALLED BACK INT TRUCK

**note**some Discussion and explanation of upgraded parts used like why you choose them over other choices and maybe a few reply's and post from members,...in regards"only to the topic of the discussion of that "SEGMENT.

Edited by rburks
  • Like 1

I'd say upgrade to a 3 piece manifold while you have it off, but I installed an ATS one this winter, and it didn't do a darn thing power/flow rise, at least not noticeable. 

attachicon.gif008 (7).JPG

I HAVE an ATS Pulse flow 3 piece mnf too.  i installed it when i done my turbo so i never really doubted the hype cause there wasn't really no way for me to know for sure except to remove and reinstall my old one and i d$m sure wasn't gonna do that 

I'm going to keep posting everything in this thread until I have it rebuilt. When it comes time to do a writeup (When I head back to school) I will do just as you are saying. Great thinking rburks.

• Like 1

I'm going to keep posting everything in this thread until I have it rebuilt. When it comes time to do a writeup (When I head back to school) I will do just as you are saying. Great thinking rburks.

:thumb1:  KOOL"" Cant wait to see it  :popcorn:

Thanks rburks!

Shiny snail... How about the engine? I seen a lot of part pictures how about pictures with the parts assembling?

(Yes I'm picking on you!)

The engine hasn't been touched. Tonight will consist of cleaning all mating surfaces, checking ring gap (grinding if necessary), and prepping the garage to work. If I still have time I might start throwing parts on it.