• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Teardown and Rebuild

hardness can matter depending on the type of scale it forms and its reactivity with everything.  you are fortunate with your mountain water... distilled is cheaper than parts for me with city water.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'll agree city water and chemicals that treat the water can be problematic.

Water issues are going to keep me from flushing with the hose even back home. It seems I don't really have a choice but to do a few drain and fill cycles with distilled water....or get a shop to do it 

I've never used distilled water, and I've never had a problem. Maybe Penrose just has really clean water.

On a side note I filled up after 2 days of driving to work (100 miles per day). I drove it as gently as I could and had the cruise set dead on at 65. 22.4mpg :cool:

• Like 1

• Staff

For the cheap cost of distilled water it's just not worth it, IMHO

If you don't have your water tested it's really a crap-shoot. 

There are certainly going to be locations that have tap water than can be used but it's cheaper to use distilled water than to test the tap water. 

This is one of those things that just because it works well on one or two hoses that you cannot recommenced as standard practice. How do you know what the source water will be like for whoever takes the recommendation. 

No different than drinking creek water without treatment or filtration. I drink out of several creeks and don't worry about it, but that doesn't mean that I can tell you to drink out of your local creek. I have no clue what is in your local creek and the fact that mine is potable doesn't mean yours is. 

Taking a guess...but I would wager than the vast majority of tap water found in the US and around the world should not be used inside engines. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Me78569 said:

I suppose I should edit the above statement of mine, I don't use distilled water, never have.  I am willing to take the risk, doesn't mean anyone else should.  

yup.  

i wouldnt even consider well water.  the mountain runoff many of us drink in the Rockies is pretty clean.  i dont mind drinking water above treeline either.

• Like 1

Did a little towing this weekend. Nothing too heavy, 10-11K. Tows like a dream and stays nice and cool. The G56 makes a world of difference while towing! Couldn't get over 1150 on the pyro at 52 psi of boost. Engine temp on the other hand hasn't been good. Temps pulled all the way up to 206 on a couple hills. I'm hoping changing out the coolant will help with that, but I'm not sure. 

4 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

For a 190° thermostat? 

That's 100% normal. The 190° thermostats aren't full open until 207° and have a max allowable temp of 225° (per Cummins, not Dodge). I generally see 213-215° when pulling hard. 

That I would get, but these were small short hills. The one longer one I only had it pinned for 15 seconds or so. The rest of the  time is was maybe 50% throttle.

I feel like if it was a long hard pull the temps would have easily kept climbing, even though the fan kicked on at 197 (seems low for the fan to be on????)

• Owner
9 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Does it sound like the fan clutch is taking a dump then?

Normally my fan is locked by about 205 to 208*F. So if its rising more double check the thermostatic cool for oil leaking or packed with dust. This will impact clutch performance. If leaking oil it needs to be replaced.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Normally my fan is locked by about 205 to 208*F. So if its rising more double check the thermostatic cool for oil leaking or packed with dust. This will impact clutch performance. If leaking oil it needs to be replaced.

I will check it asap. I didn't think it should be engaging at 197. When the A/C is on it will lock up as low at 195, which I see quite often.

20 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Be careful of what you thunk is locked. It should sound like turbo prop throttled up going down the runway. Partially locked will turn the fan but not at full force.

It sounds like a big rig pulling up a pass at 2000RPM.

When it drowns out a 75mm turbo pulling 20psi you know it's loud and locked!

• Like 1