• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Performance Tuners

Hello guys, haven't been on in a while but now that the house repairs are done for a few months I thought I would do some things to my 2000 CTD

I am thinking of getting a performance tuner and this will hopefully not open a big can of worms and arguments, not my intention.  I have a 2000 Dodge CTD that is stock with the exception of a 4 inch exhaust.  Thinking about installing a exhaust brake for towing our travel trailer.  I am also thinking about installing an engine tuner and am looking for ideas and suggestions on which one to get.  I'm looking at the Edge tuners.  Any thoughts?  I don't want to install any high flow injectors or a high performance Injector pumps as we have to smog these trucks here in California.

Thanks, Wes.

• Owner

Personally I like Edge Products I've got no issues with them except for the Juice series. There is a old saying "Don't put all your eggs in one basket." This is what the Juice series does so if the module fails you lose the gauges as well. I would suggest that you look at the Edge Comp which is cheaper in price but you required to have your own gauges. But if you rather do the All In One Solution that fine too. The software is the same for the most part between the Edge Comp and the Edge Juice. Now with the Edge Comp it can be removed very quickly for smog testing and no one would know. But Edge Juice is a bit difficult to get rid of being the gauges and module etc to make disappear.Both Comp and Juice are 120 HP modules.

Smarty is a OK programmer for your purpose (+60 HP) but you'll still need to have gauges. But the Smarty has the option of 50% power so you'll easily pass smog testing that way.

I would suggest for injectors anything between +50HP to 100HP is fine. But smaller is better for economy sake and less smokey. But for smog reasons I would keep you stock injectors or maybe a RV275 (+40 HP) so the smoke is controlled.

I will not even suggest a modified injection pump. Hot Rod or Blue Chip Special X will not work with a module they are only for standalone fuel systems. So you best of keeping the stock injection pump for smog reasons.

I agree with Mike my Edge comp by itself is a great chip. I also run the Smarty and it's a great programmer. They are very different and perform very differently on my truck. When I was running the Smarty on my stock setup it was pretty amazing and with your emissions standards that may be the better way to go for you.

Thanks Mike and Mike,  I was looking at the Juice line.  I've got the factory gauges with after market additions of a boost gage and a fuel pressure gauge for tha FASS lift pump.  I dumped the factory lift pump before it failed just to be safe.  I don't plan on installing any high performance injectors or injection pump.  I just want to get  little more out of what is there when towing our travel trailer.

Edited by WesHawkins

Nick

Ya know I'm not really sure how much more I need.  I don't want to push the factory drivetrain to much but want to make sure I get enough.  The trailer is 6000lbs empty and 7700lbs gross and I live in Northern Cal and pull mountain passes and long grades. 

I have the edge juice with attitude and I love it. I ran it solo for a while and then I stacked a smarty with it and the difference was amazing. I also now have a hotrod pump and you can definitely tell the difference when the edge kicks on. The Hotrod and the smarty alone run much higher egts than they do with the edge. I don't know why but that's how its panned out. before I could tow with my edge all the way up same with smarty and never break 950 egts even in over drive. with the hotrod it likes to run about 1100-1200 in over drive unless I'm running 80... the nice thing about the hotrod pump is it will let you turn 4k rpm all day long

I run a comp and smarty. I prefer the smarty alone unless I am going to hot rod. It isn't just 60hp depending on the turbo and injectors.

If only you knew how great the smarty / TST was.... Smarty's timing curves are way better than edges for performance!

• Like 1

... but Edge timing curves are better for efficiency and MPG numbers.

That is something that drives me crazy not being able to see timing on these engines. :ahhh:

I don't believe that one bit. I have always gotten better mileage with my smarty on #1 than I did with the edge. I drove both of them the same too. Edge on 5x4 driving like a baby Smarty on 1 driving like a baby.

• Owner

Strange... You might want to help out Pepsi71Ocean on how to get better than 16 MPG with Smarty. He calls here now and then and the same story poor fuel mileage with that Smarty no matter what setting he using.

Just rolled home after a 100 mile trip today and made 21 MPG so far cruise set for 60 MPH most of it.

He might have an older software version?? They are really easy to update. If nothing else he could have a sticking timing piston, oversize tires and not using gps, dragging brakes ect.

I average 23 on my trips to and from school. 30 miles at 65, 15 miles at 70, 50-60 miles at 75-80, and 20 miles at 65??