• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I'm getting 9 drive back and forth 2.5 miles to work. Dash shows 14 mpg highway on 2 shorter trips. These 4.30 gears are supposed to actually help the mpg on the v10. So far the best part is sneaking home. Scared the hell out of my wife a week ago when I was working night shift and came home early. Try that with a 24v

What part of Alabama did you find it for $2.35? Im paying $2.99 for mine right now. But there are some other local places as low as $2.50's-2.60's

Muscle Shoals. You must be in the most expensive part of Alabama. It is only about $2.60 in NC.

• Owner

I'm getting 9 drive back and forth 2.5 miles to work. Dash shows 14 mpg highway on 2 shorter trips. These 4.30 gears are supposed to actually help the mpg on the v10. So far the best part is sneaking home. Scared the hell out of my wife a week ago when I was working night shift and came home early. Try that with a 24v

Now with diesel prices sinking down well below gasoline price that got to be hurting the pocket book now. :spend:

$2.809 diesel - $ 3.039 unleaded.

• 2 weeks later...

It's coming down that's for sure. Only issue is this oil glut is hurting my pocket book big time.

Are you in the oil industry? Chinese steel dumping is getting dangerously close to getting me laid off. Maybe you could convince your purchasing department to buy some made in USA pipe??

Are you in the oil industry? Chinese steel dumping is getting dangerously close to getting me laid off. Maybe you could convince your purchasing department to buy some made in USA pipe??

I an but I'm a Mechanical Commissioning Tech. We don't purchase components per say.

Last project used a lot of USA pipe, Russian pipe and plenty of valves and components from various countries including the US. The US us setting oil prices were trying to bankrupt the OPEC nations. It's hurting every one in the process. Even rare metals and precious stones are down.

Good to hear, I'd rather give money to Russia than China right now. Don't mean to de-rail this thread but the USA steel industry along with any other type of mining is looking pretty dismal right now. Federal government seems to be going to war with the blue collar worker.

I agree definitely a major problem that needs to be addressed. I whole heartedly agree with you on rather buying from Russia than China. Not just on the cost side but the quality is substantially better.

I've replaced 30 year old domestic pipe with foreign pipe and guess what had a hole worn in it within 2 years...

Not surprised. Granted the metallurgical specs may have not matched the requirements for the system. Someone could have ordered the pipe with the wrong specs and rather than getting the correct pipe they may have said use it.

The last time I filled up in Savannah at Walmart, the price of diesel was $2.25 a gallon.  I had to do a double take on that. 

With respect to the noise issue, my truck can be loud but when cruising with zero boost, the noise level is not bad.  I personally would have just installed a LARGE and very quiet muffler and removed the Edge EZ.  The Edge EZ does notably increase the combustion noise level of these engines. 

I have found that the 5" turbo back straight pipe exhaust has proven to have a practical utility as of late.  I am not sure what is the matter with people.  I always keep a following distance of 1 car length per 10 mph, I do NOT tailgate.  I am pretty patient about bidding my time and patiently waiting when I get behind a slow poke.  Apparently it seems a new national driving past time is all the rage.........when someone attempts to pass you........you firewall the throttle and make every attempt to block them out of the lane and get back behind them.  My wife and I watch this and make bets on it when we watch vehicle in front of us attempt to pass on whether the vehicle being passed will speed up when a passing zone comes up.  It is amazing to watch and it is also a pathetic and immoral/dangerous game to play.  I have had it done to me a few times and that 5" turbo back straight pipe exhaust can roar when under FULL boost which makes the idiots who play this dangerous game think again.  I am dead against making a lot of smoke and noise, but when road idiots play dangerous games, I have NO compunction about unleashing LOTS of BOTH.  It's getting so I hate to go anywhere.  Driving should be about SAFE transportation..........NOT trying to avoid or deal with idiots. 

On that Ford V-10, good luck with spark plugs blowing out of the head, stripped threads, changing spark plugs, be sure to regularly inspect the oil pan for leaks (Ford had a lot of bad oil pans that needed to be replaced) .  Hopefully they have been changed and properly reinstalled so you can remove them again.  There are steel thread insert kits that address this issue.  The oil pan issues affected other Ford engines as well.  If these issues have been addressed it should be a fairly reliable engine but a gas toilet. 

Gas is down to 2.49 here and diesel is around 2.69, I love the savings but hate the idea of the Saudis trying to put our shale drillers out of biz.

The v10 had been great so far, and I feel more confident with my wife driving a newer and more reliable vehicle. As far as spark plugs and oil leaks, all vehicles have issues and the 2nd gen Cummins have far more issues than I could have ever imagined- which is why we obviously all joined. I hope everyone here is doing well.