• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

need help with my torque converter not locking.... at all

well... i just dumped $1500 in front suspension..... put in 100hp injectors ran fine lots of power.  running out of funds to dump in this truck.   Now that i had her running the way i want, i lost torque converter lockup.   Im not the greatest when it comes to transmission department.  but i dont feel the kick any more after 40 mph.  and at highway speeds i have very little power on my 5x5 setting .   i thought maybe my air filter (AFE pro dry) could be restricting becasue i noticed it has a few kinks in it like it imploded.   washed it out and dont feel any difference.     I have had locking/unlocking issues before and was advised by moparman to remove the noise filter......  well i had planned to but havent done that yet.  before i go installing a TC lockup switch i would like to know what im up against.   I have read many threads and not gathered what im looking for.   Does this mean my trans is shot?   it shifts through the gears fine i can get up to 80mph on level ground... rpms seem a little lower than usual.  trans temps seem to get hotter quicker 210 last time around traffic on a hot day (90deg)       thanks fellas  

fuel pressure is good 14psi 

filters are good

timbo apps new

batteries new

alternator is atleast 2 - 3yrs old

Edited by freedomisntfree

well there are a couple things that could be wrong

-The tc clutch could be completely shot.

-The lockup solenoid could be shot

-The vss is doing something wacky.

-wiring issue

-your pcm( i think that is what commands lockup) is shot

To troubleshoot I would do a lockup switch.  if it will lock with the switch you can rule out the tc, the solenoid, wiring.

just installed my lockup switch.   im confused on how to properly use it.  my first trip around the block it wanted to stall at a stop, so i switched it to the ON position (UP),  and i was back to normal.   took it out on the highway and yeah i guess its working, its hard to find a good spot to really get on it or play around because so much traffic here.  After playing around with it, and coming to a stop it wouldnt stall in any position on or off anymore.   .   so this has me really confused., truck should stall if it engaged right? when do i engage it and disengage..  ....   I need a Barney style explanation on this switch.   my main objective here is to understand how this TC switch works so i can find my issue..  thnx for any help

• Like 1

So a stock 47re will onyl lock in 3rd and 4th.  

IF you come to a stop with the lockup switch engaged, grounding out the lockup wire,  then the truck should stall, provided the tranny hasn't downshifted on it's own yet.  

Now remember locked shifts are VERY hard on a tranny so keep that in mind.  

To test you tc, drive from 0-30 at low throttle and count the shifts.  You should shift into 3rd around 25-30 mph.  engage the lockup at 30mph if you are in 3rd and see if you rpms drop.

• Like 1

just installed my lockup switch.   im confused on how to properly use it.  my first trip around the block it wanted to stall at a stop, so i switched it to the ON position (UP),  and i was back to normal.   took it out on the highway and yeah i guess its working, its hard to find a good spot to really get on it or play around because so much traffic here.  After playing around with it, and coming to a stop it wouldnt stall in any position on or off anymore.   .   so this has me really confused., truck should stall if it engaged right? when do i engage it and disengage..  ....   I need a Barney style explanation on this switch.   my main objective here is to understand how this TC switch works so i can find my issue..  thnx for any help

That's a gooden right there. I need Barney style my self on occasions.

• Like 1

• Owner

You need to get up in the lockup gears of 3rd or 4th and it should lock up. Then with the switch ON it should stall if you come to a stop. So fine a piece of highway and get up to 45-55 MPH. Then you should be able to toggle the switch and see the tach jump up in the OFF position and when you flip ON it should lock and drop RPM's. Then once its locked if you come to a stop it should stall.

• Like 1

So a stock 47re will onyl lock in 3rd and 4th.  

IF you come to a stop with the lockup switch engaged, grounding out the lockup wire,  then the truck should stall, provided the tranny hasn't downshifted on it's own yet.  

Now remember locked shifts are VERY hard on a tranny so keep that in mind.  

To test you tc, drive from 0-30 at low throttle and count the shifts.  You should shift into 3rd around 25-30 mph.  engage the lockup at 30mph if you are in 3rd and see if you rpms drop.

gonna head out and find me a piece of road after rush hour....   thanks a lot for the info

You need to get up in the lockup gears of 3rd or 4th and it should lock up. Then with the switch ON it should stall if you come to a stop. So fine a piece of highway and get up to 45-55 MPH. Then you should be able to toggle the switch and see the tach jump up in the OFF position and when you flip ON it should lock and drop RPM's. Then once its locked if you come to a stop it should stall.

the part im still confused is do i start of with the switch off or in the ON position....

edit.... ok i think i understand after reading a few more times ... i will post back in few hours ... thnx guys

Confused ----- you just jump the wiring in the PDC where the trans relay is.

If its ON (engaged and grounded) you will be locked up at whatever gear your in (depending on VB setup).

If you come to a halt ..... you engine will want to stall as your still locked up ........

basically all there is to it ........

but easiest way to tell if your locked up is

1) OD OFF. You will hit around 30-35 and you you will see your RPM drop (like it went to another gear).

2) When you apply accelerator - the RPM and the SPEEDO go up together in unison. If they dont - your not locked

glad u guys helped out with this.....   i been messing with it for a few hours now that Las vegas goers are gone.   I have to say i like it.   I can confirm my coverter is working ok.  Seems like the trans downshifts on its own more than it wants to stall if i leave TC locked.   I was cruising on a main street 40mph at 900 rpm...    i like that manual trans feel.    Ok, now that i know the TC locks up with the switch, what next?   is my problem the PCM  .  

another thing....  Although i like  the switch, and i would like to keep it..   i want the best of both worlds, or back to stock mode.  i read somewhere about a 3 way switch.... stock, locked ,unlocked...   ????  still need to find the problem  .... thnx

Well went to San Diego 100 mi drive. Started my truck noticed my RPM gauge not working. Shut off the engine .. when I restarted it came up with check engine light and some codes I'm assuming have to do with TC switch.  codes my dash came up with... Pcm 0622 0743 1765 1694 1693 ECM 1690 1693 .... i need to know if my truck gonna stall on me. Thnx.

• Owner

well guys.....  i havent been able to diagnose the problem with my TC issues..   i took my truck out after letting it sit for most of the week and check engine light was gone.. Truck drove like normal.    no issues.  Im sure check engine will come back. Just wondering what the problem could be.   I did notice every now and then shifting a little rougher than usual.   Speed sensor maybe??