• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

It sounds like it was hit and miss. I don't think it got completely remedied until '02?

Pretty much the only guarantee to know you won't have a problem is to open up any 2nd gen you have to be sure. Once the 3rd gens came along it was not a problem.

• Owner

Mine got a big shouldered piece of case metal over the pin.

2001 was basically the end of KDP problem with mixed bag of having the pin or not. There is only one report of 2002 that I've seen with a KDP failure. I seen the dealer invoice for it too.

Mine got a big shouldered piece of case metal over the pin.

2001 was basically the end of KDP problem with mixed bag of having the pin or not. There is only one report of 2002 that I've seen with a KDP failure. I seen the dealer invoice for it too.

1 hour ago, notlimah said:

Bah!! Well this is definitely not what I was hoping to hear! 

Ive seen the article on it, is it that tough a fix? I'm not the worlds best mechanic but I'm fairly inclined. 

I did it on a 12 valve I had, and I thought it was pretty easy, a bit time consuming. This is also a good time to pull radiator and power wash it and everything else. New thermostat and coolant flush. Plus do crank case vent mod that Mike came up with. All of this for less than $20 and some time. Well except for coolant and thermostat. 

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Like 1

You can pay the outrageous price for the kit or do like allot of people do and fab one up. it's really easy. Open her up and assess the situation, then you could do like me and get a large fender washer and grind it down till it covers the pin. Loctite the bolt you use to hold the washer in place.

• Like 1

It really isn't too difficult.  I did mine without pulling the radiator, but I wouldn't recommend that.  I was trying to keep it simpler and cheaper.  I spent more time trying to remove the fan with the radiator in than I should have.  Even worse, I had to pull the radiator a few months later because it was dirty and no cooling.  I could have seen that months earlier.  It comes our way to easy to fight with it still installed.

I also fab'd one up, didn't want to pay the money for something I could make.

• Like 1

Royal Squire, that'd be awesome if you did! Let me know!

Hex, I currently have a 24v that I'm just trying to tie up any loose ends that could cause potential problems. In the vast amount of research I've done on these trucks I always thought the KDP was only related to the 12v, don't know how I missed that :doh:

6 hours ago, notlimah said:

Royal Squire, that'd be awesome if you did! Let me know!

Hex, I currently have a 24v that I'm just trying to tie up any loose ends that could cause potential problems. In the vast amount of research I've done on these trucks I always thought the KDP was only related to the 12v, don't know how I missed that :doh:

Sorry, I can't find that tab, but as everyone else has said, they are easy to make. I like the fender washer idea. 

• Like 1