• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Boost leak test/check

Umm.. my boost tester came with a valve stem. I changed it over to quick connect because based on my searching the pressure needs to be constant. I'll try again tomorrow. Is 20 PSI too much to test with. My compressor is difficult to regulate much below that....

Edited by dodgedieselnewbie

• Owner

If your jumping off the throttle and getting a whooshing noise that's called a "Turbo Bark". That when you got the turbo spun up tight and loaded with high boost then jump off the fuel and driven pressure fails. Now the compressed air is attempting to spin the compressor wheel backwards venting the pressure it just built. This can do damage to the turbo. So just ease out of the throttle just a bit before dropping it out right.

Okay.. thank you. I will check for boost leaks tomorrow. I didn't see any problems with the turbo compressor wheel... I spun it and there isn't noticeable play. I don't know if it's a characteristic of my turbo but it seems to whistle constantly. It was a little annoying on my 800 mile round trip last weekend.

• Owner

I don't know if it's a characteristic of my turbo but it seems to whistle constantly

Silencer ring is missing. That is normal. I reinstalled my silencer ring to tone that down gets rather old after awhile towing heavy through the mountains.

I don't know if it's a characteristic of my turbo but it seems to whistle constantly

Silencer ring is missing. That is normal. I reinstalled my silencer ring to tone that down gets rather old after awhile towing heavy through the mountains.

I just tested mine last week with a rubber cap from menards that I punched a hole in it to put my quick connect, cost me about $10. Put 20 psi to it and it was all it would hold before trying to blow off the turbo, because cap is slightly bigger. Then I used soap water and found few very small leaks, one on intake horn boot, one on intake bolt, and one by intercooler driver side boot itself had tiny bubbles pushing through rubber. Might be getting all new boots some day.  

Okay.. I have just a few boost leaks :-) So will all these tiny leaks effect what happens to boost under load at say 30 psi? Does effect anything lower? How about MPGs?

The intake bolts seem to be tight.. Do I need a new gasket? What is the plug and how do I fix that? 

I tightened the clamps under the turbo which seems to have taken care of that one. Both intercooler hoses leak. Will attempt to tighten those later as they are in a tight spot...

Edited by dodgedieselnewbie

Some of the bolt holes go all the way thru into the plenum and could be leaking around the threads. Not sure how many are like that. The one with the wires is most likely for your boost gauge. Mine is in that location using a hollow bolt. Mine is mechanical and has  tube instead of a wire. You might try tightening the clamps on the boots and see if that helps. I have heard of using hairspray on the the connections to help seal them. Never tried it my self. Once I get my clutch replaced I am going to tackle some leaks of my own.

Boost leaks will cause EGT issues, MPGS and performance, the truck is working x amount to spin the turbo and x amount to move, but the boost is going to waste, so more fuel = more EGT's = less MPGS  for the same amount of power to the ground.  

I dont know of an automotive product to use for sealing the boots. i have never tried to look for anything. I have some leaks to deal with but probably wont touch them until I can park the truck and pull some things off of it first. I hope the clamps just need some tightening. 

Well.. I only had time this morning to tighten the upper clamps this morning. The 2 bolts, boost plug and 2 lower intercooler still had those minor leaks. I decided to see if it changed anything.. Edge was set to 5/3

It reached around 41 psi. This is a first.  I read that this turbo was capable of 40. 

Then I tried it set to I think 4/4 and it did that "turbo bark?" noise I was telling you about. I didn't let off the pedal when it happened. Not sure why. It seemed like it happened when it was shifting.

I also have a question about the Edge and fueling. How do you know what to set the edge for fuel? How do you know when you have too much or too little?