• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tie rod rubbing front diff cover?

8 minutes ago, joecool911 said:

The use of some aftermarket track bar bushings require popping a dimple in the diff cover for clearance. Might be your issue.

I believe he's talking about the steering linkage?? Maybe I read it wrong though.

Turned at full lock to the left,  my tie rod would hit the diff cover. I am guessing that's what the OP was talking about, but I've been wrong before! If the track bar hits, it usually hits near the top left of the cover. OP, if you could post a picture that would help us help you.

image_zpsxq4b3hzg.jpeg

there is a pic for you all. You are correct TFaoro. That spot was covered with oil from my vacuum pump leak when I first saw it lol thank you all for the help! It's kind of weird though because I replaced the fluid in the front diff this summer and I don't think it was like that then. I wonder if it was caused by going over some rough road or railroad tracks or something. The tie rod does twist and flex on the ends as it should but it doesn't hit the diff when the wheels are straight. It gets pretty close though my finger doesn't fit too easily.

Edited by leathermaneod

• Owner

I know in the old school Dodge trucks (1970's) there was a adjustment on the knuckles for stop points. Our trucks there isn't any stop point. So I would be inspecting all the linkage for loose ends or damaged ball joints. Something is wore out and allowing that tie rod to hit the differential which is not normal.

I am not sure I want to know. Mine is doing it also, just slightly. I am thinking he means the axle tubes are not aligned and the causing the pumpkin to be forward slightly. My track bar is shot and I am hoping that has something to do with mine hitting. This just started very recently on mine. I have a new track bar and should get it on next week around Christmas. supposed to be around 70 here

Wow that would suck. Hopefully that's not it. I've had quite a few people say theirs is the same way. Seems unlikely that such a heavy duty axle would be that prone to failure...thanks for the tip

That's interesting because I think mine has only just started doing it as well. How do you know if your track bar is shot? And which one is the track bar? 

I also recently had the left side axle seal replaced. i wonder if they didn't get something back together right and that is causing it somehow...

Edited by leathermaneod

The track bar mounts to the axle on the passenger side, comes over towards the drivers side up and around the diff and bolts to the frame above the axle. It is not connected to any of the steering. The ball stud at the frame connection is shot and is popping around in the socket. Mine is clearly audible. If you get under the truck and have some move your steering wheel back and forth and that joint is moving, it is time for a new one.  

One end has a bushing and the other a ball stud, not much different than a tie rod end. The bushing could be worn out, but on these trucks I doubt the bushing would go before the ball stud. Mine is definitely the the ball.

I think when I change the track bar I will get a straight edge and see if the axle is warped. 

There's a very slight bend in the bar .... at least in most aftermarket ones been a while since I had oem. Make sure the bend on the steering link is rotated tp give max clearance.

I wouldn't worry about a little rub..... but yours does seem a little more than that.