• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

On the Hunt for a Slide in Popup camper

Alright solar panel nerds.....Cough Mike or anyone else that knows.......  I am an "expert" in far to many things in my life and I don't care to be one for solar panels.

I have a big group 31 deep cycle battery, 100 ish amp hours, I want to add a solar panel to assist / prolong the amount of power I can use.  It does not need to be able to recharge the battery in 1 day, but I would like to be able to add %25 / %50 time untilt he battery is dead. 

IE, if it is sunny I want to be able to have power in the camper for 4 days instead of 2 or 3 days.

So,

bat: 100 amp hours

2 - 2w leds inside 3 or 4 hours a night

1 - 10w led for light maybe 1 hours a night ( external spot light)

1 - radio say 3 to 5 amps.

charge 2 cell phones 

Right now I can get 2 full days of camping without plugging into the trailer plug on the truck to charge.  If I NEED power I can always just plug in the 7pin plug and start the truck.

How big of a panel do I need to get? 

50w should  = ~ 30 amp hours per day if I get 8 hours of sun?

• Owner

If I had the cash for bigger panel...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar-265-Watt-Polycrystalline-Solar-Panel-GS-P60-265-Fab2/206365796

That would handle all my electrical needs easy and still be charging. Even my current 45w Harbor freight setup is still more than enough to hold the batteries at 13.2 volts while watching TV all day long. Also powering the fridge, water heater, and water pump when it does cycle on. I would like a bit more charging power but even with the 45w still no problem. Last trip out I was completely boondocking with no hookup just the solar panel.

DSCF3729.JPG

Just remember I've only got 400w (eight 50w panels) on a entire two story house with 4,000w of inverter and been living this way for more than 20 years now. So it comes down to how much storage do you have and how much money you want to put on solar panels.

DSCF3676.JPG

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Staff
1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

so really 50w should be PLENTY for my needs?  I likely could get away with 25w?

50w would likely be the minimum I would get.

I have a 10W panel now and it's not even enough to get me to ±0.0A with full sun and nothing on but the standard draws such as fridge, clock on the radio, etc. I draw about 1.1-1.4A with just the minimum stuff powered, no lights, etc. 

25W can charge at 1.73AH at 14.4V. That means I would need to get a good charge for 19.4 hours a day to just break even and not use a heater, lights, etc. 

With 100W I need a minimum of 4.8 hours of good sunlight and even being flat on the roof I will get that most times of the year. It may not completely recharge me but it will greatly slow my depletion which is what I am after. 

If it's that hot out and I am completely parked in the shade there is a good chance I will run the A/C before putting the kids to bed. An hour of A/C will put up to 55AH back into the batteries and I am good to go again. 

So it all depends on how you use your camper, but 50W is the bare minimum I would look into installing. 

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

so in theory you should see 60 amp hours in a perfect world?  

8 hours would be closer to 55AH because they charge at ±14.4V.

So I did the math, ugh sometimes I hate being informed.....

If everything I have power wise is running at 125% rated W at the same time I pull less than 4 amps total.

So 8 hours per day , which again is longer than I need, is 32 amp hr to run everything at 125%.

So in theory on a good day a 50w panel should be able to keep up plus some, correct?  

Yep, but I don't see a need.  I can currently do 2 days and still be good battery wise.  Throw in a solar panel and extend that to 3 or 4 and I am happy.

And again if I get in a tight spot I can just flip the switch that allows me to charge via the 7 pin connector.

I suppose I technically have 3 group 31's that I am able to run off of right now

Edited by Me78569

Pictures of the campsite

3 days of power use, lights, radio, water pump, and charge cell phones.   left the site with 12.4v on the group 31 that runs the camper.  I filled the propane at the start of the trip, 

last trip was near 0 outside 2 days heater running the whole time used 1 gallon of propane.  

Very happy with how the camper worked.

IMG_20160529_140917.jpg

IMG_20160529_141354.jpg

IMG_20160529_141414.jpg

IMG_20160529_141423.jpg

And the dogs in their spots.  

IMG_20160529_160346.jpg

Little small, but you get used to it.  I never did like tent camping ( always slept under the stars) but I could never go back now haha.

All I can say is, I can make coffee in the morning without starting a fire. 

• Like 4

It's beautiful up that way. Did you go up Berthoud or up through silver thorn? I dropped my mom off at my sisters in steamboat Wednesday, worked in Silverthorn and around Blackhawk until Sunday. Did you get any snow? I had a dusting Thursday night north of Blackhawk 

• Staff

Nothing like having a nice truck to go with it. Looks nice for sure.

Now you are ready to meet up with all the rest of us at the 2017 full eclipse in western Idaho, Right?

Enough treats and the dogs will like any hole you put them in.  

We found that due to the limited amount of floor space we needed to have them tucked away so we ditched the storage, rearranged, and shoved the dogs in there with treats.

That plus in the winter I am sure they will like  being tucked in there with blankets.