• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Factory Battery Hold Down Mods/Repairs

Hello Everyone,

The factory battery hold-downs had become dilapidated, so in lieu so spending $60/side my friend & I modded/cleaned up the factor set. The steps/repairs we performed are listed below along with the attached photos of the before/after. Total time invested was about two hours and all of the parts/equipment we already had in the shop. I know the paint job will get some comments, so to head those off – we ran out of black so to avoid surface rusting we used brown. Once the weather warms or I build a small paint cure box, I plan to wire wheel to repaint black.

Hold Down Bolt Repair/Mods – Stock had rounded bolt heads

• Cleaned up/ground all stock bolts down

• Fitted each with (N) washers

• Fitted each with (N) bolts – 9/16”

• Welded (N) washers & bolts to stock bolts

• Sandblasted & painted

Hold Down Bracket Repair/Mods – Stock had deteriorated rubber/surface rust/mismatched paint

• Removed all stock rubber coating (heat/scrapper)

• Sandblasted clean & painted

IMG_5579.JPG

IMG_5580.JPG

IMG_5581.JPG

IMG_5582.JPG

IMG_5583.JPG

IMG_5584.JPG

IMG_5585.JPG

IMG_5586.JPG

IMG_5587.JPG

IMG_5588.JPG

• Owner

Not bad... One way to bring life back to old battery hold down hardware. Nice how you fab'ed the nuts on top to allow you reuse you old bolts.

I will highly suggest you keep a light coating of engine oil on everything and then they will never rot again. I still surprise most folks that look at my truck at how my battery terminal and hold down hardware is still working fine. It all about keeping that oily coating on the metal parts and the acid won't touch them.

14 hours ago, JAG1 said:

I like the advice.... only trouble is I can get that pic of the Vise out of my head!

That's a nice bench vise

The bench/vise combo was found in the metal salvage yard, total cost was $120 to buy it back out from the scrap heap by my friend.  The things people get rid of never ceases to amaze me.

Edited by NightHawk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2016 at 11:31 PM, notlimah said:

Man looks nice! So when are you going to start accepting orders?!

Well strangely enough, my friend/coworker who helped on this "side" project told me this week we can do better then just "band-aiding" the original ones.  So we're actually in the process of designing/fabricating new hold downs & bolts that will work with the factory trays.  The equipment/material is available to us, just need to set aside time after work/weekends so why not see what we can do.

I will post pictures of the final version (prob couple weeks out) to see what everyone thinks.

• Like 1

• Staff
3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Actually, you'll have to arrange that with JAG1 he's the one with the connection for the laser cutter. :wink:

Yes the guy that does it reasonable is just up the road. Ship them to me and I'll get it done for you :)

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:57 AM, Me78569 said:

that's what I say about my 1x4 piece of wood holding my batts down haha.  

What happens when the highway safety commission come up your driveway and inspects under the hood?

Edited by JAG1