• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 Manual transmission wont go into gear

Hello,

I've searched and can't find anything so I'm looking for some help.  My 2001 5 speed will no longer shift into gear.  The last few days while driving down the road, when in fourth or fifth gear, speeding up to lane change or for whatever reason the RPMs would jump 500 and then back to normal.  Didn't seem like clutch was slipping or anything.  Long story short it started doing it consistently more the other day on the way home, and now it won't shift into gear with the truck running.  I can turn the truck off and it will shift into gear fine.  The minute I fire it up it won't go into gear at all.  I checked the fluid and its full.  Truck has 260K on it.  I have never touched the clutch/tranny and not sure if the PO did.  All I've found researching is that possibly the pilot bearing went out?  Any other tests?

And to muddy the waters a little more... I have the edge juice with attitude.  On the way home I would put it in stock , tow and mileage mode and the revving wouldn't happen, put the edge in 3, race or hot extreme mode and the revving would happen every time. 

Thanks!

Edited by rockcrawler69

It does sound like the clutch is going away. When you put the edge on level 3 it is just to much power for it to handle. If you leave it in the stock setting you can buy yourself some time. Your hydraulics might be failing too since you cant get it into gear with the engine running. 

one recent result was the bolts in the pressure plate had backed out and caused this issue as well. If I pulled it apart I would just replace the whole thing. This includes clutch plate, pressure plate and throw out.

Edited by eddielee