• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

4wd System Refresh np241DHD rebuild.

Doesn't matter,

the roaster comb controls how much throw is in the collar.

20160224_192933_resized.jpg.251a0431af70

I think I have it figured out.  Not sure if I am doing it right, but you can set the main shaft depth by part #7 on page 556

https://mopar1973man.com/external-media/pdf/2000Ramparts.pdf#view=FitB&page=556

20160224_192637_resized.jpg.f93efe925b6e

The main shaft bottoms out on it.

How my shaft sits now

20160224_192304_resized.jpg.985b6e41a9e6

I dunno if you are supposed to set it there, but that's the only place I could find.

Edited by Me78569

Me,

Wow, that isn't close.  Could it be the input bearing being in backwards?  (does this one not use the C-clip on the od to set its position?)  If it got flipped, it would pull the main shaft forward....  But there should not be enough room in the front retainer to let you get away with it.....

Good luck finding it!  I really think the true location of the input shaft is off the input bearing and front retainer.  The output shaft kind of floats, and is only limited in its movement by the output bearing.

There were two input bearing widths on the 241.  about 0.3" difference.  Is that possible?

Hag

The issue was there when I pulled the Transfercase apart, so I have to assume something wore out, or moved etc.  

The input bearing is correct, or at least it matches the bearing I pulled out of the case and it does use a c clip to set position.  It is seated flush and everything is happy for the bearing.  

I agree %100 that the mainshaft depth is controlled by the input bearing, but there is nothing between the input flange and the input bearing to allow you to set depth.  The only thing that is on the mean shaft assembly that can set depth is that bearing assembly that the main shaft sits in.

I set that bearing so that I now have no grinding.  I really don't think this is the correct thing to do, but it works and there is 0 chance of it coming out due to the 1/16" position movement compared to be bottomed out. 

The above picture is with the trans in 2wd so it's position is correct.  

Edited by Me78569

Edit:

big thanks to Dynamic, He pointed out that the main shaft position is held by the rear bearing and the snap ring on it in the output snout.    

I am gonna tear her down again and ensure that I put the bearing back fully seated, then ensure the output bearing is setting position correctly.

Big thanks to dynamic and his advice

The main shaft position is set by the rear main bearing in the transfer case.

We are back together and ready to be stabbed back into the truck.  No more grinding and I now can shift to n and 4 low again.

56d12027115b8_2016-02-2621.03.04.jpg.9d4

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Big thanks to dynamic and his advice

The main shaft position is set by the rear main bearing in the transfer case.

We are back together and ready to be stabbed back into the truck.  No more grinding and I now can shift to n and 4 low again.

56d12027115b8_2016-02-2621.03.04.jpg.9d4

I'm still a little salty that you have the DHD :shifty: 

37 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

Is there a vent on TC. If so where is it located. Case is oily on outside but can't tell where it's leaking. Thought maybe vent was plugged. Any thoughts?  Would it matter that I park with front pointed down hill? 

Where is it leaking from?

4 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

It is wet from where halves bolt together back to output shaft seal. Kinda the whole back half is wet. 

Probably time for a reseal then... Once they start leaking at the mating point they don't stop. 

To answer your question though, yes they do have a vent. Where vacuum lines plug into the top of the Tcase, one of those lines is a vent that runs up to the firewall. Just find the two lines that run up there. One is vacuum, and one is a vent :thumbup2: 

Tyler, 

Glad some thing on my truck makes you jealous haha.

I was turning that pto gear with pride when I was testing the shifting.

Royal,

Time for a rebuild.  It's very easy and you should have a nice writeup to go by soon.

• Like 1