• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Purchasing my first Travel Trailer need advice

Thanks guys I will leave it stock. Ok so we went looking today. So after looking at few 27 ft'rs my wife fell in love with this a forest evo 2850 31.7ft long sticker was 32,547 "on sale" 25,688. When my wife said she liked it "I said well the guys on forum said go bigger than what you think" it has plenty of room for all of us to sit and relax. it holds 57 gal fresh Gray is 75 and black is 40 gross weight is 7786. So tuesday I think we may go and pull the trigger.

dont_copy (14).jpg

dont_copy (13).jpg

dont_copy (11).jpg

dont_copy (12).jpg

dont_copy (15).jpg

• Like 1

• Staff

If the wife likes it you're half way there.  She's the one, at lest in my trailer, who does the cooking and organizing and bed making for the kids.  If she likes the layout and feels she can function smoothly with little or no trouble than get it.  It's a nice looking rig with lots of liquid capacity, not to heavy.  One thought, what ever you get the first thing you have to add to it is a thing that sprays in the black water tank to flush it with.  I installed on in mine before the tank was used and have been very happy with it ever since. 

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-Tornado-Rotary-Rinser/dp/B000BUU5TU     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfTd0Slt_cU

4 hours ago, IBMobile said:

If the wife likes it you're half way there.  She's the one, at lest in my trailer, who does the cooking and organizing and bed making for the kids.  If she likes the layout and feels she can function smoothly with little or no trouble than get it.  It's a nice looking rig with lots of liquid capacity, not to heavy.  One thought, what ever you get the first thing you have to add to it is a thing that sprays in the black water tank to flush it with.  I installed on in mine before the tank was used and have been very happy with it ever since. 

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-Tornado-Rotary-Rinser/dp/B000BUU5TU     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfTd0Slt_cU

what does it take to install this?

I would look at nothing but Fiberglass shells as well, heavier but a lot more durable and will be less issues down the road, here in the north land where we have weekly hail storms aluminum is all but a thing of the past except for all the hail damaged ones that leak all over and sell for really cheap.

6 hours ago, ADawg said:

Would a black tank flush be the same thing?

My had this oe. It sounds like this one does too. I am assuming it comes with the black tank flush you mention. They are great dump the tank and flush it at the same time.

• Owner

Black flush... :clap:

Never had one nor will I need on. It so simple to prevent any problems. First before I leave on a trip I'll pour one 5 gallon bucket down the toilet to pre-start the black tank. NEVER start a boondock trip with a empty black tank. Also the fact boondocking water is precious so long flushing of water is very wasteful. So if you pee just flush without running a bunch of water most times I can just leave the pump off and just the prssure in the line is enough to refill the bowl slightly. As for dumping the black tank don't dump till full. So if I return home and the tank isn't full I will dump then grab a 5 gallon bucket of water and quickly pour it down the toilet the sudden rush typically is enough to flush the tank out faster than any black flushing wand or flush kit. Since the tank was pre started with 5 gallons less likely that waste will stick to the bottom of the tank and create the "poo pyramid". The other secret I store my RV with the knife valves OPEN. This allows the tank to dry out and the sensors always work next trip.

• Staff
7 hours ago, ADawg said:

Would a black tank flush be the same thing?

Yes, it's installed in the black water tank. 

1 hour ago, dripley said:

They are great dump the tank and flush it at the same time

When I have hook-ups I dump the black water tank, refill and repeat once or twice then dump the gray water.  A lot more stuff comes out on the second flush.  

3 hours ago, Hawkez said:

what does it take to install this?

You need a drill motor, philips head screw driver, ~ ⅛" drill bit, a hole saw (the size I don't remember), and clear RTV sealer.  I installed mine halve way up and in the middle of the side of the tank.  Pick a spot that is flat so when the sprayer is installed it will fit flush.  With the hole saw cut into the tank where you want the sprayer to enter and remove cut plastic.  Insert the sprayer and mark where the four smaller holes need to be drilled.  Remove the sprayer then drill the smaller holes.  Install the supplied hose on the sprayer, apply the RTV and install.  Install the other end of hose to the hose fitting and bracket and attach it to the trailer.  I put mine by the dump handles.  It took less than a halve hour. 

35 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Also the fact boondocking water is precious so long flushing of water is very wasteful. 

This sprayer is good when you have an unlimited supply of water IE: trailer park or at home.  I installed my own dump station at my house.

• Like 1

• Staff
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The other secret I store my RV with the knife valves OPEN. This allows the tank to dry out and the sensors always work next trip.

Isn't that bad for the rubber gaskets on the valves causing them to dry out? I usually close them and add some rv antifreeze to keep the valves covered. I also make sure the rv antifreeze is not the alcohol base stuff that dries them out, but is the good stuff.

14 hours ago, Killer223 said:

Boats, RV's, ATV's, UTV's they are all the same. a big hole you through money.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

I keep my valves closed and add a mixture of; 2gal hot water, 4oz bleach, 4oz laundry soap and 1cup water softener (Calgon).  The bleach is to kill bacteria, the soap is for cleaning, and the water softener help make thing slick in the tank so the nasties slid of the walls and on out. I also add some to the gray water tank for odor control.  I have never had a problem with odor, cleaning or valves sticking/leaking.  This is a lot cheaper than buying the chemicals for the tank.  By the way it doesn't freeze where I live so you may want to add some of that RV antifreeze  like JAG1 uses.

After you buy your 'new' trailer your still have to get things like sewer hose and fittings, water hose, water pressure reducer, water filter, 90° fitting, etc. etc..  See if you can get the dealer to sweeten the deal by adding in some of the things your going to need to get started. 

• Staff

I cannot imagine living somewhere it never freezes. Seems very comical to me. Does that mean the ladies around very scantily clad? :whistle:

I have read that a few ounces of Johnsons baby oil is best for valve seals.

He did say they give you hoses but to buy a better "black" one with a clear elbow to see when it is clean. He said he was going to talk to his boss about getting a power jack which is not that big of a deal to me but hey if he gets it no complaints here. He also said he will try and get a check made out to us for a TV we can install our selves. 

It does not freeze where I live so I should be good right? Well I guess when it gets below freezing in the winter. Is there an online list of things that are a must? I guess I could ask them since it would be more money they can make off me.

Edited by ADawg

• Owner
On 3/3/2016 at 9:40 AM, ADawg said:

Do any of you use a spare tank to fill your fresh water up? 

Just use the 5 gallon water containers. I cheat. I added extra tubing to my anti-freeze line so I can just dip the tube in the jug and still use the water pump. I don't have to try and pour the water in the tank. Another way just lay the cube on the container and use its own valve.

On 3/3/2016 at 9:40 AM, ADawg said:

Now if I pull the trigger will the rv place offer a warranty? Should I get it?

I would. New RVs typically will have a few runs back to the dealer for repairs for warranty work.

Well its official I get to pick up my trailer on Monday I think my kids are more excited than me Lol! Are there any little things I need to get? I have wheel chalks, they are giving me hoses but I do not know what quality they are. Do I need some kind of level? Anything else?

Congrats!!!

i have a 3 foot level i keep in my trailer, they'll try and sell you a fancy electric one. but i've never had one be accurate. i have several 2x6's for leveling the trailer as well. you'll want some black water tank stuff. (my brain just stopped) to treat the black water. a drain hose with clean out elbow. it's where you attach a hose to flush the tank and hose out.

we have a patio mat. it's nice and we have indoor carpet runners for the floor so help keep the dirt down.

i also have a charcoal water filter for filling my fresh water tank. goes on end of hose. make sure hose is white. and rated for drinking water.

as for winterizing it. we get RV antifreeze in our sinks P-trap, then open the drain valves for the water tanks and lines everything will drain,

get the propane tanks filled. we have a gauge on our tanks to tell us how full they are.

as for a TV, we use 2 element TV's from Walmart, one for the main room and one for our bedroom. They are 99$ a piece, and are a 12V tv but come as a 115V. you can cut and make an adapter to 12V lighter adapter,

towels, dishes, silverware organizer, time to go use it,

Make some memories.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2016 at 10:37 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Never had one nor will I need on. It so simple to prevent any problems. First before I leave on a trip I'll pour one 5 gallon bucket down the toilet to pre-start the black tank. NEVER start a boondock trip with a empty black tank. Also the fact boondocking water is precious so long flushing of water is very wasteful. So if you pee just flush without running a bunch of water most times I can just leave the pump off and just the prssure in the line is enough to refill the bowl slightly. As for dumping the black tank don't dump till full. So if I return home and the tank isn't full I will dump then grab a 5 gallon bucket of water and quickly pour it down the toilet the sudden rush typically is enough to flush the tank out faster than any black flushing wand or flush kit. Since the tank was pre started with 5 gallons less likely that waste will stick to the bottom of the tank and create the "poo pyramid". The other secret I store my RV with the knife valves OPEN. This allows the tank to dry out and the sensors always work next trip.

The sewer hoses they give you are usually junk and wont last long. When you replace them just get the thickest ones you can find. They can be pricey but worth it. You just dont want to be messing with &^%$ any more that necessary. They also ought to fill your propane tanks for free when you drive off with it. A lot of the other stuff you need is kind of dependent on your family. Only you can know that. And as IBMobile says. "make some memories".

• Owner

Funny Dripley would say that. I've got a generic hose that is over 15 years old from my previous RV. The only thing different is the ends are screw-on and removable. So I can buy another generic hose and reuse my ends. No hose clamps. Also have the dump flange that fils the void so you don't have to smell the nasties while dumping.

13 hours ago, dripley said:

"make some memories"

Absolutely... :smart: Take a camera and get some photos of your trips its always funny to share experiences.

I think i coined the phrase "make some memories" first. as i had it on the back of my boat once. "Makin Memories"

and then my older RV had Memory Maker. on it.

my old Jeep had "take off ur top" painted on the tailgate. worked like a charm by the way.