• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mountain towing

I'm moving to Eastern Idaho  in the very near future and was wanting to upgrade my stock injectors for a little more "I think I can" power, for the Teton mountain range. I talked to a fellow at DAP about some 7x0.0085VCO injectors and he said I would be fine with stock HX35. But if I wanted to upgrade the turbo he suggested a Screaming Eagle 62/68/12 turbo. I've done a few web searches and all hands back his statement that I'd be fine, even running my smarty.  For those of you who live in the mountains what are your opinions? I'm open to suggestions, as long as its not BD parts. I don't anticipate towing much over 8000 pounds.

• Owner

I'm towing close to 8,000 pound typically. I'm just a small +50 HP injector still running HX35W turbo with no EGT's issues even with 3" straight pipe exhaust (muffled). Take your pick.... I'm just on the west side of the state. Normal forestry grades can be 16% or so. No issues.

14j6lj8.jpg

2cqfx9w.jpg

• Like 1

I tow with the Industrial Injection 62/12 and DAP 125 SAC injectors.  I use a smarty as a towing programmer.  All in all I really like the combo.  If you have a normal stall torque converter it should tow good.  The 2-3 shift is kinda wide for the turbo though, and it will bark on occasion.  Not much you can do about that other than add fuel and live with some haze across that shift. 

The combo will really wake up with additional fuel.  With the smarty/tst stack it is pretty fast for an old truck.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

The vgt likes the mountains.  No issues with my 7x.oo9s. And quad

For all around,  you probably have the sweetest setup.  

9 hours ago, Me78569 said:

If I only had a triple disc and billet input....he451ve would be on my list.

It is running really well now though, couldn't be happier.

What are the dimensions of the 451?

3 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Comp

64 inducer

93 exducer

turbine

76 inducer

67 exducer

Only thing I don't know is if the exhaust side can close down enough to act as an EB on our trucks.

So other then the possibility of an EB not working, the 451 is a straight drop in??

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

No you need the right exhaust manifold and downpipe.

for me it would be drop in because I already have a he351ve. 

Ok, dumb questions...

1. 6.7 manifold drop in for a 5.9 truck?  
  2. What are 451s going for these days?

After seeing your adrunio controller the other day, I really wish I had done this rather than my 62.  For my dad's 3rd gen Rams, that adrunio controller and a 451 would be SICK!  

A he431ve would be comparable to your 62.........

a he451ve on a cr truck would be freaking awesome.

you can use a 6.7 exhaust manifold and just block the egr stuff.  it will bolt to a 5.9 engine. 

Auto trucks would have to have the tranny heat exchanger moved as the cr exhaust manifolds place the turbo right where our trucks heat exchangers sit.