• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Exaust 4 or 5 inch

So I got 4 inch dp to back of cab then up to a stack I want to put an exaust on it with a muffler the drone is crazy:doh: so opinions on 4 or 5 and diamand eye mbrp farm boy diesel what one I'm up in the air I take the truck on every long trip so it has to be able to sneak under the radar so to speak :smart: all abiding laws aside 

I put the 4 inch diamond eye on last year and I really like it.  I had stock down pipe adapted to 5 inch straight pipe and the drone was to much on trips with the camper.  The sound is still nice but much quieter in the cab.  Also noticed a slight decrease in EGT with the bigger down pipe.

• Owner

There is no reason for a 5" unless you like it loud and lots of drone. For most of use that are daily drivers like myself there isn't much of a gain going even to 4" pipe. I'm still very capable of turning 20's in MPG with stock 3" and straight pipe setup with a flow through muffler (NAPA).

Like myself I typically below 600*F EGT's for most driving and below 5 PSI of boost so there is no real back pressure issue.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

All sound preference. I swapped 4" for a 5" just for the sound. I blame it on the commonrail that lived on my road. Every week I could hear/feel that truck coming up the hill near my house. 5" is deeper sounding, more drone if you don't use a resonator. Youtube the sounds if that's a factor. Muffler and resonator if you want to avoid drone, without compromising sound.   

I currently have a 4in on one truck and stock on the other. I can't deny the stocker is nice just, but there's just something about that sound that I can't get over!

With that being said I will probably go with a 5in once it's time to get an exhaust. I don't do very many long trips, and even when I do, I've never really had a problem with drone. Also with bigger tires, my highway speeds are around 14-1600 rpm so typically drone isn't as bad at that range. I also figure if the drone really is that horrible I'll just add a resonator later.

On a side note, you guys runnin diamond eyes, did you put an exhaust tip on there or just run the pipe?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been debating this as well. I would really like the deeper note of the 5 in. At what speed/rpm do you guys experience drone? On my truck I never noticed anything until I got up around 75-80. I don't really drive that fast at all, much less for an extended period of time so it's not and issue. Any ideas where I'd get the drone with a 5 in? 

I am running a 4" with a 5" tip. I get some drone but empty I dont pay it any attention. Pulling the 5th wheel makes it worse but not unbearable. I am usually by myself when towing so I never have to talk over it so it might be worse than I think.

4 hours ago, dripley said:

I am running a 4" with a 5" tip. I get some drone but empty I dont pay it any attention. Pulling the 5th wheel makes it worse but not unbearable. I am usually by myself when towing so I never have to talk over it so it might be worse than I think.

At what speeds/rpms does drone come in for you? 

I wonder how 4" with a 6" tip would change things....

23 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

At what speeds/rpms does drone come in for you? 

I wonder how 4" with a 6" tip would change things....

What i hear is in the 1900 to 2000 rpm range and it mostly exhaust sound. I tend to hear from the rear of the truck and not thru the floor board. I am running a Banks with straight thru muffler and 5" tip.

I think 4/5in exhaust drone is a truck by truck basis. I've heard/read multiple different times that some trucks droned like mad with 4in and less with 5in, others are the opposite. Some used factory supplied clamps, others used band clamps. Some added extra support to the exhaust, others didn't. There's so many different variables besides just 'which drones more, 4in or 5in?'

I say if you want 5in then get it! If it drones like a mother, then add a resonator. If it still doesn't help then 4in it is and sell the 5in!

I have a 4in on my 99 and love it, but I will be putting a 5in on my 02 when I get one ordered. For now I'm just enjoying the quietness that is stock exhaust!