• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil Filter

So I take it this could be used pre oe oil filter to see what kind of crap it is catching and to keep the bigger crud out of the filter for possible extended filter life. Can it handle all the oil the Cummins will put thru it versus a bike or an atv. I cant help but think if NASCAR uses this they are a little bigger. Cost??? It does look interesting but more info for our use would be nice.

I guess you can tell the new worked.

8 hours ago, dripley said:

So I take it this could be used pre oe oil filter to see what kind of crap it is catching and to keep the bigger crud out of the filter for possible extended filter life. Can it handle all the oil the Cummins will put thru it versus a bike or an atv. I cant help but think if NASCAR uses this they are a little bigger. Cost??? It does look interesting but more info for our use would be nice.

I guess you can tell the new worked.

Okay, click on Mike's link, then click "products" at the top of the page, then scroll about 3/4 of the way down and you'll see "oil filters - Diesel." They make a filter specifically for Cummins trucks, but for some reason I can't link it.

Here's the description:

Dodge/RAM Cummins 5.9L - 6.7L Diesel '89-13 / Stainless Filter: Consistent filtering across entire filter surface

Superior ASTMF316 filtration performance

7 times the flow of comparable paper oil filters

Magnetic Prefiltering

Billet aluminum filter case doubles as an oil cooler

Progressive rate bypass combined with high flow characteristics of the filter media avoids unfiltered oil bypassing the filter during cold startup and high rpm

No more cutting apart messy paper filters for trapped debris inspection

Proven in Motorsports, Military and Aerospace applications for years

No more oily paper filters to the landfills

May be the last oil filter you will ever buy!
1489sm.jpg
Click for Full Size Photo
Dodge/RAM Cummins 5.9L - 6.7L Diesel '89-13 / Stainless Filter $289.00

• Owner

Same reason I won't touch a washable air filter. Too many things to go wrong during washing of the filter. Typically all washable filters do not filter down to the same level like a paper element. Too many people will accept the poor filtering quality because they can wash it over and over. Even through the engine is wore out faster. Look back at the track record of washable air filters. I've seen my fair share of engine damage here local from washable filters this is both gas and diesel both. 

I can also see some losing the seal and losing the oil on this after taken it apart several times to wash it. I can see violent oil leaks occurring from re-using o-rings or not latching the housing. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I does look interesting but for that kind of money I can buy 7 to 8 years of filters and thats if I keep packing on 25k a year even after I retire. I already have 2 years worth of filters on the shelf at home. But I do believe this filter is only as good as the person who has it on their truck. It does appear to be hard to damage but some clown is going to attack it with a power tool and f it up then blame the filter.

All this from a guy that ran a K&N for 8 years in his truck. 

Here's my thought. Your kinda defeating the point of an oil filter if you can't throw it away. So you can clean it with a bunch of chemicals for the 12 dollars that a new fleetguard cost.  Secondly the filtration for that stainless steel that really isn't that great. Fleetguard gets down to right around two micros carbon black and provides excellent oil flow in cold temp. It's like moparman said I won't touch it. Your dealing with a k and n filter that you can see through vs a paper that actually does it's job. My thought unless more trouble than it's worth. Stick with fleetguard can't go wrong. 

• Staff
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 9:23 AM, dripley said:

All this from a guy that ran a K&N for 8 years in his truck. 

Dripley, did you stomp on in at your dusty jobsites too?

Edited by JAG1

Nope. Only when it is muddy. While some of my job sites can get very dusty I am not working the truck once I get there. Most sites for a CFA are only an acre and there is no need to drive around it. Now the Love's I just built was on 24 acres I did drive around it quite a bit. 

I dont seem to have suffered any ill consequences from the K&N other than an oily turbo. I only cleaned 3 maybe 4 times the whole time I had it. When I cleaned it I just used a pan full of cleaner and rinsed it with a garden hose without a nozzle on it. The media is pretty delicate. My wifes 1st Dakota came with one. She got on oil change on the road once and the place did her a favor and cleaned it. They washed it and then used compressed air to dry it. That was the last one she ever had. The filter media does not stand up to compressed air.

Dont get me wrong I will never run one again, but dont really have any regrets. Only time will tell.

• Owner

micron_graphic.jpg

Give perspective to micron sizes so other will understand.  

35 micron (or 0.00137795 inches). Just a bit bigger than white blood cell. Just think of it, we run 3 micron (or 0.00011811 inch) fuel filters which is smaller than a red blood cell.

As for the washable filter. Still not too happy with the idea. Just way too much that could go wrong during washing and reassembly. We've had all those problems in the early years with Fram filter and other name filters letting go and plugging a oil jets, or doing engine damage. Now here we are talking about a filter and taking a risk with a washable filter that you don't ever get anything on the wrong side and its passed on to the bearings or oil jets. It would spell disaster for the engine. 

• Like 3