• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Adrenaline V2 Testing

TFaoro

6 hours ago, Carbur8tr said:

Just throwing these ideas out there because I know some will be looking for mounting options etc.

I'm using an IPad with a cup holder mount and it could be a little higher but overall it's sturdy and out of the way of the stick.

038DC1FC-BA59-4C90-BC2E-2F7D1AB719E3_zps

Fit an finish, needless to say below took a little bit of time but I'm much happier with everything being in the truck and not having to open the hood every time I want to run a new flash. Also something to note, I do not have this connected to the battery at all.  I wish that Quad would rethink this whole hooking a module straight to the battery without a fuse....  Maybe they will listen but then again I know that this is probably sourced somewhere else and not in house.  @Me78569  if that was your idea then no hard feelings lol.

I cleaned up and extended the harness by 2.5 to 3 feet depending on what plug it was.

D078A682-A2B3-4918-BFF9-31790826C0A5_zps

And the final result

9CA27536-C803-40EC-B5F7-CC97B981ED67_zps

22115203-6DF1-42DA-8EF1-962BEAAD60AA_zps

A little off topic but i cant resist. @Carbur8tr I cant help but notice your shift pattern on the knob in the first picture. I have 6 speed also and mine is on about the 7th or 8th revolution. How bout yours?

6 hours ago, dripley said:

A little off topic but i cant resist. @Carbur8tr I cant help but notice your shift pattern on the knob in the first picture. I have 6 speed also and mine is on about the 7th or 8th revolution. How bout yours?

Totally off topic again haha but my brother's 05 has the 5600 and if you put your palm flat on the top of the shift knob and rotate it'll rotate the pattern. No other way to move it!

6 hours ago, dripley said:

Haha well lets see, this is the 4th clutch I've put in the truck so that might be part of it, but it seems to keep moving through the years regardless of what I do or where I put it.  It's funny to watch people try to read the pattern though especially if it's their first time driving the truck or one like it hardly (ever happens though and not many I trust to drive it.)

4 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Totally off topic again haha but my brother's 05 has the 5600 and if you put your palm flat on the top of the shift knob and rotate it'll rotate the pattern. No other way to move it!

I use to be able to do that but haven't since this last clutch.  Must have put it one there right lol.

• Like 1

So... back on track. 

With the quad on lvl 3 with can-bus at 110% I'm able to keep egts at 1,100*. Should be right around 500hp, and I'm not sure exactly how much fueling it was getting but the data log was showing a 4095 for can-bus. Should mean it's maxed right @Me78569?

1 hour ago, xxTJRocksxx said:

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum, but after reading the last 9 pages on the quad I knew this was the forum to join.

I am waiting for my Quad to get delivered, along with my compound kit, and hopefully I can start tuning and data logging as well.

Welcome to the forum!! Always glad to welcome some new members. :thumbup2: 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I just made a trip down to Boise Idaho hauling a Cummins engine. Made 21.7 MPG. My trip started out with temperatures at 19 to 21*F. Still did good, timing floating 19 to 20*. Still running strictly speed limit even 80 MPH on I84. No complaints here.

Holy smokes! Slow down to 55 and you'll get up into the 25+ easily! 

I need to get my tires aired up...I think it's taking my mileage down

I finally fixed my manual vane control on my vgt turbo.  This enabled me to do some testing on boost pressure at cruise vs egt's vs canbusfuel, and timing. 

Cruising timing doesn't really change anymore since the cruise timing change as of a week or so ago. 

What I did notice is,

Vanes wide open ( 0 psi boost and 0 psi drive)

egt's 750 ( expected as there was no boost)

canbus message ~1250 ( not as expected as I figured psi would bring up fueling, but I guess TPS position bumped it up)

vanes closed down into performance mode. ( 3 psi boost and 5 psi drive)

egt's 650

canbus message ~1100

This mirrors what I found on my last road trip when I tested 1 tank while keeping vanes at a given position.  My best MPG came with vanes set so boost was up while at cruise.  

When I get some time I am going to mess with turbo spooling vs low end timing.  I will set the vanes wide open, then try to spool the turbo from 30 mph in 3rd locked up with 0 * timing reduction.  I will then do the same thing with the timing reduction set at 3*. 

I will overlay the graphs and see if spool is any better or worse between the two.

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

I finally fixed my manual vane control on my vgt turbo.  This enabled me to do some testing on boost pressure at cruise vs egt's vs canbusfuel, and timing. 

Cruising timing doesn't really change anymore since the cruise timing change as of a week or so ago. 

What I did notice is,

Vanes wide open ( 0 psi boost and 0 psi drive)

egt's 750 ( expected as there was no boost)

canbus message ~1250 ( not as expected as I figured psi would bring up fueling, but I guess TPS position bumped it up)

vanes closed down into performance mode. ( 3 psi boost and 5 psi drive)

egt's 650

canbus message ~1100

This mirrors what I found on my last road trip when I tested 1 tank while keeping vanes at a given position.  My best MPG came with vanes set so boost was up while at cruise.  

When I get some time I am going to mess with turbo spooling vs low end timing.  I will set the vanes wide open, then try to spool the turbo from 30 mph in 3rd locked up with 0 * timing reduction.  I will then do the same thing with the timing reduction set at 3*. 

I will overlay the graphs and see if spool is any better or worse between the two.

That'll definitely show if the timing reduction works! The theory is there, but this will put the proof behind it if it works. BTW I bet your truck hates you....

Welp,

Here is a back to back run, same conditions with the turbo set to slu gmode ( 25cm housing)

Both runs are aligned to when I went WOT.   Starting speed was ~30 mph and grossly underfueled for the housing size

compare at 25cm.PNG

You can see the important things are the grey vs blue, grey being the run with timing reductions, and the light blue to the blue down at the bottom, light blue being timing reduction run. 

It seems to show that pulling timing shows better spool.

I need to run a more aggressive tune as the above could hardly spool the turbo.  I honestly could not tell a difference between the two runs hahaha. . 

So heres a run with the turbo held at 16cm

Starting speed was ~30 mph and grossly underfueled for the housing size

compare at 16cm.PNG

It shows pretty much the exact opposite, the timing reduction tune slooped slower than the none reduction tune hahaha.  :doh:

So what does it mean?  More testing / data logging is needed.    I need to find a good flat road without traffic and run again.  I really do need to add a touch more fuel to the tune I was running these tests on.   A lishgt breeze would have made the results screwed.  Took way to long to build any boost.

What did I learn?  I love my VGT, hahahah,  even on canbus fuel only it spools like nuts provided I am not holding the vanes wide open.  I haven't driven around much lately without the turbo held at a position, but man it is a turd when you are not adjusting the vanes.

Edited by Me78569

• Owner

I've got my trip report after 422 miles. I hauled a Cummins CR engine down to Caldwell, ID. Then went over and spent the weekend with MoparMom. Needless to say I only did a few mild tweaks to the tune with @Me78569 help. Then added my winter fronts being the winter cold is setting in. When I left it was only 19-21*F in New Meadows, ID. Mild 50-55*F in Boise, ID. The winter front bumped my IAT temps up to 100-120 range back in my optimal area. As for the boost I'm never above 10 PSI unless climbing a grade. Even at 80 MPH it floats 8-10 PSI and about 700-750*F EGT's. Then at 65 MPH is more like 2-3 PSI and 550-600*F EGT's.

Net results of this....

Trip across I84... Take note of the speed, Instant MPG and Total MPG.

Screenshot_2016-11-06-12-33-12.png

Back to US95 heading north.

Screenshot_2016-11-06-13-31-29.png

Then when I parked in the driveway...

Screenshot_2016-11-06-15-33-57.png

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

I think if I got back into my hypermiling phase again I could easily pass the old 27.2 MPG high mark. Being a daily driver the IAT temperatures are starting to fall being the boost pressure and power created is much cooler. So adding some heat to the intake improved my MPG number on this trip even though I was about 1,100 pounds heavier with the engine for the trip down (Nov. 5) Then spent a day driving in city traffic and then leaving Boise, ID without the load of the engine in the back and continued to gain MPG's on the way home (Nov. 6). 

Screenshot_2016-11-06-18-38-28.png

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1