• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Adrenaline V2 Testing

TFaoro

4 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I hate to brag more, but smoke output is even less now.  That run had 0 smoke even with wiretap turned all the way up. My truck will not smoke now, no matter what you do.  

Well, there goes your cool points!

J/k!

That's really impressive Nick, glad all the hard work and tinkering has payed off for you!

13 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Well, there goes your cool points!

J/k!

That's really impressive Nick, glad all the hard work and tinkering has payed off for you!

Thanks, I am trying my best to try and open up some of the mystery that goes along with the 2nd gen trucks.  The better we understand things like timing the better we can tune our trucks.  

There is no reason why a piggy back system like the Quadzilla shouldn't be able to offer a user friendly tuning process that allows for the end user to get %70 or %80 of what EFI Live or UDC  could do without having to pay someone an arm and a leg.  

I really need to do a dyno day now and record it haha.  Beat my HP / TQ without smoke lol  I am going to giggle when emissions come around again next year.

Edited by Me78569

On 10/15/2016 at 6:44 PM, 903Dodge said:

I have a dumb question.

How long will the quad data log? (5-10min)?

Honestly, it kind of depends on the device that you are using and how much free memory it has. I've done a 30minute data-log and had another one limited to around 5 minutes. I will do some more experiments today to figure it out. 

• Owner

Be aware too much timing can degrade your MPG numbers. I'm backed down the tow tune to 6 degrees from 8 degrees and jumped up 2 MPGs. Now working on my empty truck tune. Really powerful smoke free so far.

My MPG logs are...

11.5, 11.87, 11.30, 12.14, 11.21, 15.05, 11.81, 13.38... This was all towing the RV the 15 was some tow and empty.

Also scaled the truck. 2 passengers and 1 dog. Full tank of fuel.

Front axle: 4,520

Rear axle: 2,920

Total: 7,440

Edited by Mopar1973Man

OK, here is a super sneak preview of an app change that is coming to better support the V2 custom tuning. We are working on an "equalizer" like tuning setup for the V2 stuff because having to change the fuel added to each PSI is more than a little clunky. 

This image will change but here are some key features. Adjust with the slider bars, scroll left and right to get the whole range of tuning variables. Click on the number on the bottom to set it with a text keypad like previously. The red bars on top and bottom indicate levels that you may be able to set, but may not be the best setting and are in a "warning" area. 

Setting all of the levels to 100% will get you stock tuning out of the ECU, you can adjust up and down from there. 

Just know that this is an example and not the final solution. It will change from here, but it is a little something. 

One thing to ignore is the fact it jumps from 8 PSI to 22 PSI, I just needed a full 2 digit number in place to see what it looks like to  check the spacing and stuff. 

Example Equalizer Image.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Owner

Need to be able to export your tunes to memory of your device. It kind of suxs to have to rebuild if there is software crash requiring to uninstall and reinstall. Like changing vehicles wipes out your EGT limits and cool down settings as well as your fuel settings. It would be nice to  reimport your settings back without having to rebuild.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

So some more interesting info in terms of what the ECM reports for load,  apparently early trucks don't report load the same as late trucks. 

Here is load from my truck, stays at 0 unless you get on the throttle or when it shifts causing load to spike, then it drops back off to 0 without  changing any of the sensor input.

Nick Load.PNG

Here is load from tylers truck, it is a % that makes sense.

Tyler load.PNG

Very strange.

Both trucks have been flashed with a smarty to enable high idle so they should both have "most recent" flash for the ecm
I hate our trucks sometimes...

Edited by Me78569

So lets talk timing control.....and I don't mean "timing at a level"  I mean true control over timing.

I have been working through some changes to the code that allows for significantly more control over timing.  Since Quadzilla wrapping up some final things before release I have spent some time working through the issues.

So what has been changed.

1. Timing Scaling has been revamped, 
It used to simply be a % reduction of the overall timing max that was user define, IE: if the user sets 10* as max time, but have timing scaling set at %80 it is really the same as just putting 8* with %100 scaling.   This has been changed to actually allow the timing map to be based on the max time that the user defined, but limit top end time to the scaled %. Here is an excel spreadsheet of the old vs new calc and how it works.  this will allow the user to move more timing down low, but still have a limited timing up top. 

843.jpg

2. There is now a user define timing reduction amount for high TPS low boost situations.  Timing can be pulled down to ~8* if you set up the tune to do so, the user defined limit is 10* but the scaling feature will allow for a lot of user control for how much time gets pulled.  You can now set max timing reduction and reduction scaling for the reduction, which works in the same manner as the max timing scaling.  This is a mapped max value that is highest when TPS is at %100 and boost is at 0psi.  As PSI rises the effects of this value decrease. Reducing TPS also reduces the effect of this.

3. User define cruise timing advance has been added.  You can tune 0-5* of timing advancement when load and mph are that of cruise 50-75 mph with load between %15-35.  This again is map based.  There is no scaling feature for this setting.

You might ask why we need these new features?  

The old Quad tunes, and likely edge tunes just add timing to ramp up to the max faster than normal, which is fine in some situtations, but turbo spool should be significantly better by pulling timing down when load is high but boost is low.    The data logs showed timing at 15-17* at low boost high load situtations with the old quad tunes.  with the new tuning feature you can choose how much timing is right for you to get your turbo to spool.

Cruise timing is also a good thing to manage,  The old quad tunes did pretty good for cruise, but this was due to an aggressive timing map, so the downfall of this is what when not at cruise you might have too much timing when you are doing a lot of stop light to stop light driving.  This allows you to reduce overall timing but keep cruise timing where it needs to be, 17-19* depending on the truck.

• Owner

Now that Nick sent me a updated flash for my setup.... Huge change in the performance using my current tune. The MPG number is improved a bunch too. Been raining here and just wet pavement it can get stupid really quick with the Quadzilla turned up on MAX now. Still for the most part smoke free just a very light haze using my empty truck tune. The OBDLink is swinging much higher on the instant MPG numbers now floating 25-35 MPG. Just filled up and the RV is now put away for the season and no longer be towing it around. Now I can focus on empty truck numbers. I'll be making trips back and forth to see @MoparMom so I'll be able to tweak it in and max out the MPG numbers now. 

Even towing the RV has been rather OK MPG wise. 11-12 MPG not exactly great but closer to normal now. I'll play with the trailer more in the spring of the year hopefully be more improvements to the tunes and software. 

Few things I would like to request for the Quadzilla if possible. 

• When firing up the iQuad App that it returns to your set screen instead of defaulting to the first screen.
  • Being able to export and import tunes as files on the phone or tablet. So you can backup your tunes or share with other Quadzilla owners or for tech support with Quadzilla for debugging. 
  • Audible alarms for high limits of your gauge (EGT and/or boost).
  • Customize the scale of gauges. Like the EGT gauge analog is rather difficult to read because of the odd span of tick marks as well as the other gauges. 
  • Configurable red zone for like EGT, boost etc. So it displayed on the gauge. 
  • For Newbies it would be handy for a help ? be displayed for different setting explaining what they do so you not hunting for articles or documents to remember what each setting does. 
Edited by Mopar1973Man

15 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Few things I would like to request for the Quadzilla if possible. 

• When firing up the iQuad App that it returns to your set screen instead of defaulting to the first screen.
  • Being able to export and import tunes as files on the phone or tablet. So you can backup your tunes or share with other Quadzilla owners or for tech support with Quadzilla for debugging. 
  • Audible alarms for high limits of your gauge (EGT and/or boost).
  • Customize the scale of gauges. Like the EGT gauge analog is rather difficult to read because of the odd span of tick marks as well as the other gauges. 
  • Configurable red zone for like EGT, boost etc. So it displayed on the gauge. 
  • For Newbies it would be handy for a help ? be displayed for different setting explaining what they do so you not hunting for articles or documents to remember what each setting does. 

Give an inch and they take a mile :shifty: 

Kidding of course glad you are happy with progression.  the bottom end grunt you feel is the timing reduction in place for low boost high TPS.  

I don't foresee any changes to the base code at this point, The timing tuning is now in place to allow the end user to mess with timing and fine tune the mpg numbers  at cruise. 

• Owner

One forgotten an issue that is rather annoying... The menu icon (little gear) it's absolutely tiny on my LG G4 phone and nearly impossible to tap. The 3 dot menu is not available at all. Very frustrating to use big gorilla fingers and attempt to tap that tiny icon. As you can see the icon is rather faint in color and difficult to even see.

As seen here the gauges are spanned in weird increments that you can't visually look at it and visually read the analog. Makes it rather unsafe because your eyes linger on the analog gauges way too long to read them. The gauge tick marks should be 1x, 10, or 100x. Then the numbers should be whole 1, 10, or 100 up the scale.

Like EGT's I really don't see a need to run a gauge all the way to 2050*F. A nice 1,600*F is more than enough. 

iquad.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man