• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need Towing Trans

My 05 is still doing ok I guess as long as I dont pull with it, but there will come a point when I start using it more. When I first got it 2012 it had 32k on it and burnt fluid, I flushed it several times, put deep pan on and replaced pressure switch and larger solenoid, adjust bands.
Just dont trust it, who makes a good auto trans? The most power I plan to do is maybe 75 hp injectors.  

125K on my 05 regular maintenance and band adjustments all OEM original parts in the trans yet with no issues and it has had a Smarty on it most of its life and has seen "HEAVY LOADS" to say the least and still going strong.

In comparison to my 02 with the 47RE which slipped the lockup clutch with nothing but an edge EZ when I first got it this 48 RE has been a total animal.

Let me run this by ya. My driveway slopes a little forward so when I start I let it idle put in rev. and it will roll forward 2 feet if I let it. Is this the torque converter building up pressure.
Usually when I let it set for a few days, if I let it set 8-9 hours its ok it will go right into gear. 

• Staff
27 minutes ago, jlwelding said:

Let me run this by ya. My driveway slopes a little forward so when I start I let it idle put in rev. and it will roll forward 2 feet if I let it. Is this the torque converter building up pressure.
Usually when I let it set for a few days, if I let it set 8-9 hours its ok it will go right into gear. 

It's normal. This is a note from the owners manual.

NOTE: If the vehicle has not been driven in several

days, the first few seconds of operation after shifting the

transmission into gear may seem sluggish. This is due to

the fluid partially draining from the torque converter into

the transmission. This condition is normal and will not

cause damage to the transmission. The torque converter

will refill within five seconds of shifting from Park into

any other gear position.

• Like 1

I have always been in the habit of throwing mine into neutral for a few seconds to get the lube flowing and pressure built up a bit and then put into gear from there.

A lot of the newer vehicles I have driven rev to about 1500 rpms at start up for a good period of time and then slowly ramp down and even when one puts them into gear at the higher rpms they take a couple seconds to engage fully.

I love the CVT in my Nissan Murano, thing iis smooth as silk and you rarely notice the shifts. I wonder how long it is before we see this technology in rigs bigger than an suv?

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wild and Free said:

I have always been in the habit of throwing mine into neutral for a few seconds to get the lube flowing and pressure built up a bit and then put into gear from there.

A lot of the newer vehicles I have driven rev to about 1500 rpms at start up for a good period of time and then slowly ramp down and even when one puts them into gear at the higher rpms they take a couple seconds to engage fully.

I love the CVT in my Nissan Murano, thing iis smooth as silk and you rarely notice the shifts. I wonder how long it is before we see this technology in rigs bigger than an suv?

That's because it's literally shifting ALL the time. Same as a couple snowmobile clutches! I don't think they can hold up to extreme torque. I don't ever see them being in pickups or the big trucks.

• Staff
15 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

That's because it's literally shifting ALL the time. Same as a couple snowmobile clutches! I don't think they can hold up to extreme torque. I don't ever see them being in pickups or the big trucks.

That's my take on it too. It sure would be nice thou!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

That's my take on it too. It sure would be nice thou!

It would! You could hold it perfectly in the torque range and get maximum efficiency out of the fuel burned.... O well, we can dream right?

• Like 1