• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ordered Air Bags

Whilst this new truck has more than enough power to tow my work trailer and boat;  the suspension leaves a lot to be desired.  A lot of porposing with my work trailer going thru dips and over bumps.  And I don't have the bed of the truck set up yet for my dog training/hunting stuff yet................and that will add weight (which will still be in the bed) when my work trailer gets hitched up.

This truck has just 2 leaves on top of a bottom overload leaf.................not much IMHO!!!  I've just got a camper shell, a sheet of 3/4 OSB, 2 dog crates, and a Line-X bed liner in there empty now, and she's darn near on the bottom over-loads.  I plan on having at least 500lbs.  more in addition to the above all the time once I'm done!!

Then that's gonna stay when my work and/or boat trailer get hitched up.

That's why I opted for the bags.  Went with the Firestone Ride Rites for my truck.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dorkweed said:

Whilst this new truck has more than enough power to tow my work trailer and boat;  the suspension leaves a lot to be desired.  A lot of porposing with my work trailer going thru dips and over bumps.  And I don't have the bed of the truck set up yet for my dog training/hunting stuff yet................and that will add weight (which will still be in the bed) when my work trailer gets hitched up.

This truck has just 2 leaves on top of a bottom overload leaf.................not much IMHO!!!  I've just got a camper shell, a sheet of 3/4 OSB, 2 dog crates, and a Line-X bed liner in there empty now, and she's darn near on the bottom over-loads.  I plan on having at least 500lbs.  more in addition to the above all the time once I'm done!!

Then that's gonna stay when my work and/or boat trailer get hitched up.

That's why I opted for the bags.  Went with the Firestone Ride Rites for my truck.

Looking into those myself! Make sure to post up some pics when you get em on.

• Like 1

Air bags arrived yesterday;  and I installed them.  The destructions said 1-2 hours................took me almost 3, as I was being very diligent about mounting the hardware.  I've never installed these bad boys before.  

Got them installed, and aired up to 70psi to check for leaks.  There were none.................A FIRST FOR ME!!!!

What I noticed right off after testing the bags at 70psi, was that when I let all the air out of the bags, the STOCK suspension didn't return to it's LOW state like it was prior to inflation.  This lead me to really believe, that I didn't need these things.  But then I did a test..................holding the schader valve open and rocking the truck, these bags will breathe "in and out"........................which also leads me to believe that even if my air pressure gauge is reading 0, there is air held captive in there via the valve!!!  I need a better air gauge also!!!

So I worked today and tried 20psi empty.....................which lifts my truck up well off the bottom overload spring..........about 1" between the overload and the next spring measured at the end of the overload.  My trailer settled it down nicely, but there was still space between the spring and overload.   Loved the way the truck and trailer drove at 20psi.......................too much "rake" empty though.  Gonna try 15psi empty next trailer haul.

Question here..................If I'm at 20psi in the bags empty;  does the psi increase in the bags when loaded via a trailer or load in the bed???  That's one thing I didn't check.

• Like 3

• Staff

Even at 0 psi there will be air, just not more than ambient pressure. That's normal to hear air as you make the bag act like a bellow.

With your light loading it probably won't be an issue but with heavier loads pre filling the bags and then adding the load can cause them to be overinflated.

With just my trailer 7 psi become about 15-17 when I'm hooked up. 

I have found that the best ride is found keeping a decent amount of weight on the truck springs, which basically means don't use enough air to make the truck higher loaded than it is empty. About 1-1.5" of sag is probably a good goal. This is data from several trucks, not just my dodge. 

• Like 1

On August 26, 2016 at 10:26 PM, AH64ID said:

Even at 0 psi there will be air, just not more than ambient pressure. That's normal to hear air as you make the bag act like a bellow.

With your light loading it probably won't be an issue but with heavier loads pre filling the bags and then adding the load can cause them to be overinflated.

With just my trailer 7 psi become about 15-17 when I'm hooked up. 

I have found that the best ride is found keeping a decent amount of weight on the truck springs, which basically means don't use enough air to make the truck higher loaded than it is empty. About 1-1.5" of sag is probably a good goal. This is data from several trucks, not just my dodge. 

Went on a day trip yesterday.  450 miles round trip.  Me and a friend in front, and 3 dogs and some gear in the rear/bed.

Left with 15psi in the bags.  Truck rode great.  Firm but great.

On the trip home, lowered the bags to 12psi...............no discernible difference in ride.

I do need a more "accurate" gauge though............my cheepie don't cut in guestimating below about 20psi.

Updates to follow.

• Staff
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 0:14 PM, dorkweed said:

Question here..................If I'm at 20psi in the bags empty;  does the psi increase in the bags when loaded via a trailer or load in the bed???  That's one thing I didn't check.

The only way the pressure can increase is if the volume is decreased or the temperature is increased. Truck tire pressure increases with temperature increase do to road frication, not the load placed on them, size does not change .  If the air bags hold the same volume (space) when loaded then the pressure will remain the same.  Combined  gas law P V / T = P V / T₂ .

• Like 1

For me on my 1500 Hemi I air mine up after its loaded and set them by suspension height, usually the same or about an inch higher at the rear ball than where it sits empty then air them back down after I unhook the load, at 20 psi empty mine sits way too high and I get driveline vibration at that point. Like I say I never check pressure just go by ride height.

Mine are from this company.

http://www.totalloadcontrolsuspensions.com/

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

• Staff

I go by ride height first taking note of what the pressure range is then air them up about the same pressure each time. Right side had a slow leak but over time that subsided.

I installed them myself with the instructions saying to keep the upper bracket parallel with the lower at 8 inches apart with the truck unloaded. I found some blocks of wood that totaled the 8 inches so It wood hold the upper bracket in position during install.

They work great for hauling my camper.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my "better gauge", and proceeded to adjust my air bags.  New gauge is a 0-60psi dial gauge.  Old one was just one of them "stick" gauges.  Anyhow;  what was 12psi on the old stick gauge was reading 18-19psi on the new one, so I lowered the pressure in the air bags to 15psi according to the new gauge.

The leafs are just off the bottom over load with 85% of my normal gear loaded in the truck.  Dropping my work trailer on puts the leafs onto the bottom overload springs now.  Truck rides good.

• Like 2