• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Seat Cushion

Steps:

1. go to your local junk yard.  

2. Find a 2nd gen

3. walk ot the passenger side

4. remove passenger cushion

5. return home

6. use a sharp knife and "edit" the cushion to fit the drivers side

7. ????

8. PROFIT!!!

really though it is easy.  The passenger side fits without much trouble,  Took my maybe 30 minutes to get it installed.

• Like 4

It is pretty simple. I swapped my passenger for the drivers a few years back. The upholstery is different. The side next to the console is weaker and did not hold up very long. Nothing like the drivers side. But sway was easy. 

• Like 1

I did not swap the upholstery. That was the main reason for swapping the seats. The upholstery .was shot. The foam on the cushion was worn also but not an issue for sitting purposes. So now both of mine are pretty worn out from sliding in and out.

My uncle just had one of these cushions installed and the upholstery redone on his driver seat. His original one was worn so thin you could feel the springs easily not to mention the large amount of foam Mia from the PO dragging himself out. I have to admit that the new foam is very comfortable. I'll probably look into the new foam when it's available for leather. 

Ordered one from Geno's with full intension of sending it back if it was not as good as what my local upholstery shop could get.  When it came in I showed it to them.  They were impressed.  Better than what they usually get.  Its been siting in my shed for last 3 months, and was going to have them do after their summer rush is over (less money). 

Then talking with Geno's again about gauges last week,  I asked them if they had very many returns on their cushions.  They said no.  I asked if they knew about how much people were paying to have them installed.  He said most to it themselves. Surprized me, I thought upholstery was somewhat of an art.  They directed me to a PDF that I never knew about.  So far I looked under the seat and decided the best course of action is to break out vacuum cleaner and get out a ton of hair still there from a dog we lost 2 years ago.  If you get to yours before I get to mine, Please post how it goes.   Because I also don't know if "I don't have the right skills or tools to replace it". Same as you. 

Here is the file Geno's says cover everything.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.genosgarage.com/downloads/InstallPDF/GGInstall-DG-MOPARSeatCushion.pdf

Also my lumbar thing doesn't work.  Shop said that Dodge's not the best design and takes couple hours to do right, but depends why it doesn't work.  Elec or roller thing broker?  We'll see with new cushion.  I never use the lumbar thing anyway.

Edited by 015point9

I'd love to get the cushion and cover from Geno's, but I just can't spend that much right now lol For now I just swapped passenger into driver and driver to passenger. Just took out the four bolts. No removing of fabric. No modifying of the seats or anything. Direct bolt in for me....

On 8/31/2016 at 2:56 AM, 015point9 said:

Ordered one from Geno's with full intension of sending it back if it was not as good as what my local upholstery shop could get.  When it came in I showed it to them.  They were impressed.  Better than what they usually get.  Its been siting in my shed for last 3 months, and was going to have them do after their summer rush is over (less money). 

Then talking with Geno's again about gauges last week,  I asked them if they had very many returns on their cushions.  They said no.  I asked if they knew about how much people were paying to have them installed.  He said most to it themselves. Surprized me, I thought upholstery was somewhat of an art.  They directed me to a PDF that I never knew about.  So far I looked under the seat and decided the best course of action is to break out vacuum cleaner and get out a ton of hair still there from a dog we lost 2 years ago.  If you get to yours before I get to mine, Please post how it goes.   Because I also don't know if "I don't have the right skills or tools to replace it". Same as you. 

Here is the file Geno's says cover everything.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.genosgarage.com/downloads/InstallPDF/GGInstall-DG-MOPARSeatCushion.pdf

Also my lumbar thing doesn't work.  Shop said that Dodge's not the best design and takes couple hours to do right, but depends why it doesn't work.  Elec or roller thing broker?  We'll see with new cushion.  I never use the lumbar thing anyway.

If you have wrenches a few hog rings(not needed if old are salvaged) and pliers(needed regardless) for said hog rings, you can change it in less than 45 minutes 4 bolts underneath seat remove plastic clips pull off fabric remove 3 or 4 hog rings pull off cushion install new cushion and secure with hog rings install seat heater if you want the upgrade install fabric install seat base.....

enjoy freedom from back aches after hours behind the windscreen :thumb1:

I installed this in a friend's truck and after driving his it will be one of my next upgrades.

(update 1) After reading Geno's PDF and then looking under the seat, I just unscrewed the four 10 mm bolts at each corner of cushion. Then cushion just lifts out.   Found that I have a minor rub hole in fabric caused by the plastic trim piece where the seat elec switches are. Took to local upholstery shop and showed them the hole.  They are going to sew in a fabric patch.  Sort of like how you used to patch up holes in your knees in your levi's. Or patching a tire.  And then change out the foam cushion. 

Billable time is supposed to be 45 min.  Will post final result.

Edited by 015point9
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my seat cushion today.  Feels good on backside, but haven't gone anywhere yet.  I would like to pass on a helpful hint.  concerning the above link to PDF file from Geno's garage.  I briefly looked it and took out my seat cushion. Only 4 bolts, one at each corner.  But when putting it back in learned big difference between "seat cushion" and "seat".  Putting the "seat cushion" back in was a pain because the metal tag where it bolts screw into are on 2 pivot points.  In the instructions...step one where they say unbolt the seat, Geno's is talking about the actual seat itself and not the "seat cushion"  With the whole seat out I just could of turned it upside down and put seat cushion bolts back in.  But true to form I did it the hard way. 

Lesson learned.....If I'd follow Geno's PDF step by step the job would of probably gone lots easier..

Thanks

You only need to unbolt the cushion from the seat for sure. I swapped the passenger and the driver's seat in about 15 minutes with out removing the seats from the truck.

Could have been 45 minutes, I did not count.

Edited by dripley

• Staff
13 hours ago, dripley said:

You only need to unbolt the cushion from the seat for sure. I swapped the passenger and the driver's seat in about 15 minutes with out removing the seats from the truck.

Could have been 45 minutes, I did not count.

I did the same when I swapped the seats from left to right. 

DSCN0175.JPG

DSCN0174.JPG

• Like 1