• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VW TDi.. need an education!

rancherman

I know there is  a  few guys  in here that    have run  the  1.9  Tdi.   

I need  a quick    low-down   on    what's-what.    TDi for 'dummies'  if  you will

Please  explain   the  differences  in  what I'm  seeing;   ALH, BEW,     AAZ..    American side,  Canadian  side  configurations... etc etc.  all of these  run egr?  

Mechanical versions..  and  computer managed..   years  made..

Immobilization  enabled  versions...  I suppose those  were  built  from   the  low 2000's  onward,   Probably  the   exact  versions  to stay away from in a  'swap'    scenario.. 

I've  seen  some   'tuned' to  around 150 hp,   and still  reliable.      Your thoughts?

• Staff

I only know a couple things about them, that a friend of mine bought one twice for his wife.

In a head one collision  the VW guy survived but the Honda mini van was gone from the rear seat forward. Like the whole front engine and front seat just disappeared.

Edited by JAG1

Would be easier to know what you are wanting or looking for or to do with it ect, there is really no reliability issues to speak of but i would say if you went out to the forums that the "ALH" platform would be the most popular simplest and easiest to mod and work on. The 03 ALH Jetta 5 speed we sold a couple years ago we bought with 30k on it and sold it with just shy of 300K and nothing but basic maintenance on it, cleaned the intake manifold once and replaced a couple rear wheel hub assemblies the glow plug harness was the extent of the repairs over its life, very minor stuff.

Edited by Wild and Free

This is  what I've learned  so far;

The  all mechanical version,    (AAZ)    wasn't  sold here in  US.       Basically  everywhere BUT  here.

1992-1998   was  the  'semi'   computer  controlled   AHU,  OR  1Z  designation...  offered  here in the States.

I believe the  99's and up   were  designated  'ALH's'    and  fully  computerized.     Possible  all aluminum? 

I believe the first  two  versions  are Iron block, aluminum head. 

Feel free to  correct,  add,  or   slap my  hand!  :)

Thanks,    and  I've already  been warned that the  beetle's   engine wiring harness  is  a total  'one-off'  bastard...  and to avoid it at all costs!  LOL

OH,  hell, Bill....   you know me:  I get  wild  ideas  about swapping  crap into  stuff that  doesn't belong,  I get too fired up about building  'one-off'  creations..  In this case   the    lil  1.9  tdi    in  my   Toyota..   is  really no way a  'one off' ,  it's  been done  fairly often now,  with fairly  good    results.

I've found  adapters,  brackets, mounts,  to  make it almost a bolt in deal..  found  various   reflashers,  for the  ecu part..  pretty good   diagrams  for the wiring part,   cooling seems  to be  adequate with the  oem toyo  radiator..   

Most  swappers   seem pretty  happy  with the 150 HP level,   putting a little larger tire on help with the gearing.   NO (zero)  aftermarket  gearing   lower than 4.11's!   larger tires  is the only way with  the married  4x4 transfer case.

Then  there are the  guys  who  really want to  stretch what  1.9 liters  can  make.. upwards to  300..  insane.  

For me,  150  will suffice!

I could have an all mechanical one shipped  to me from  Canada..     or for about half the price  find  an             ALH   locally for about   12-1400..      Then would need to get the  Ecu, and  harness.   Tack on about  4-500  for that!

I've also learned the ALH's  tend to be a little  better in the  'sealing' dept..  both  oil and  coolant.

6 minutes ago, rancherman said:

I've also learned the ALH's  tend to be a little  better in the  'sealing' dept..  both  oil and  coolant.

Never had any leaks on ours even @ near 300K, was about due to have the OEM clutch replaced which was still working good but could tell it was getting stiff which is usually the first warning sign of end of life and it was about due for a set of nozzles started and idled a bit rough and smokey for a few seconds at cold start up. Kept that one 100% stock wife wouldn't let me touch it but the 2014 has been deleted and has a flashed ecm. She wouldn't trade it for the world after having driven it for about 6 months stock before the DPF plugged due to a bad egt sensor and dealer dragging their feet. And then after the delete and having so much more power and gaining 10 mpg as a dder. 39 mpg best ever stock and 56 mpg best post deletes to date.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Egr cooler was dumping coolant in my exhaust.  I deleted it .  Now trunk won't open.  Thermostat housing housing was leaking. A.c. doesn't work.

Lol but it's cook to drive gets awesome fuel mileage. 

Mines got 170k on it. I've turned the pump up slightly when I resealed it. 

I have no complaints

• 2 years later...

Thinking about maybe buying a new commute vehicle, was looking at some Volkswagens. Need to know what to watch out for. I'd like to get 50-60mpg and have a diesel, preferably a stick shift like this one. https://quadcities.craigslist.org/cto/d/bettendorf-2012-vw-golf-tdi/6910549713.html  Just don't know what to look for on these. Or even a Volvo or Mercedes something older dependable. 

Edited by Dieselfuture

48 minutes ago, dripley said:

Very funny, no smart car for me, I want to leave if a Dodge owner can't see me in one of those is all over :smart:

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2017 at 11:09 PM, Evan said:

Egr cooler was dumping coolant in my exhaust.  I deleted it .  Now trunk won't open.  Thermostat housing housing was leaking. A.c. doesn't work.

Lol but it's cook to drive gets awesome fuel mileage. 

Mines got 170k on it. I've turned the pump up slightly when I resealed it. 

I have no complaints

Are you speaking of vw tdi? What model. 

Edited by Dieselfuture

• 1 month later...

Got rid of the 02 tdi it was cool just needed so much work.

Few years go buy and this one pops up for cheap 2.0gas.

Had steering issues, over heating,  fans weren't coming on. Was the relay under the dash. Still blowing coolant with fans running.  Hmmmm

Yanked the head off resurfaced and back together. Seems solid have a few miles on it. I kinda like these vw's.

I'd like to try another tdi 

20190810_202328.jpg

20190801_223255.jpg