• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Off Pavement Performance Improvements?

Hello Everyone,

I would like to go on a few off pavement trips with my rig and would like to know suggestions on ensuring I make it back to the road.

I am not looking for extra hieght per say, but any suggestions on from those who spend more time in the dirt then me? I am looking to tackle mild trails with all of my gear, nothing too crazy like rock crawling.

As it sits now, truck is 100% stock suspension and rear has factory overloads.

Thank you!

These rigs are pretty capable in stock form for mild off-road use. For what you want to do a good set of all terrain tires and a limited slip or locking rear differential will take you far enough down a trail to get some thrills. 

Don't forget about some basic recovery gear just in case. A good come-a-long, recovery straps, a small jack and a 12 volts air compressor got me out of the woods more than once. 

• Like 1

Let me ask this then, do you think the stock suspension isnt too stiff?  I have concerns in these areas:

Ground clearance (larger tires?), suspension flex, steering angle/wheel clearance and the front CAD system.

The trails based on the maps and descriptions can be from maintained access rds to washed-out/left to the wayside. 

I'm agree. My truck has the stock limited slip, 285's and stock suspension and it does great. We just got back from Wyoming a week ago. I never question it's capabilities. I just keep in mind it's weight and use common sense. 

image.jpg

• Owner
9 hours ago, NightHawk said:

The trails based on the maps and descriptions can be from maintained access rds to washed-out/left to the wayside.

Some of the roads I travel just getting to home sometimes get borderline to that. I've got several forestry roads I travel that are we'll beyond normal service and classifies up near the washed out category. As for suspension I think its just fine empty truck it will bounce you around rather well but in offroading empty I tend to soften my tires up more surface traction of the tire. Where when I'm doing offroad firewood harvesting I've just got to bare with the rough ride and then get loaded and walk back out slowly. Weight of a cord of firewood is typically enough to get me to sit down on the overload springs. This should classify close enough to your cab over camper you carrying just my center of gravity is much lower.

Take notice to my tires (tread design) and the I'm running open diff's (no limited slip). No issues. I've been running H/T's and A/T's tires for a very long time. I've only owned 1 set of M/T's and sold them before I wore them out. I've got chains for traction aids but never used them. If you understand the weight of your axles you'll understand what you can do and can't do.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Any trail bad enough to need serious flex or suspension mods is too rough for our big trucks.  

I retired the truck from 4x4 trails as I was breaking stuff that was unrelated to suspension simply due to the size of the truck, ie not being able to make a turn due to length etc.

Stock suspension is more than enough to handle anything the truck should be on.

• Like 2

Having been a former rocky mountain oilfield worker, i have seen stock pickups, suvs, and 18 wheelers get into some amazing places.  

Jeeps are cool.  My truck isnt a jeep and will never be.  

• Like 1

Here is a few vids of the trail to the lake, about 10miles and no camper just tent & gear.

Thoughts, aka would you attempt?  I will be with a few other rigs up there as well. Nothing against jeeps (spent alot time in the cab of one) but not enough room inside for me to carry gear.

• Like 2

Nice videos, but not a place I would take my truck, I don't think the stock suspension was designed for that extreme flexing and abuse, not to say the stress on the other drivetrain components, ujoints, gears, springs, etc.. a lot of that stuff is already 16 years or older, so it's going to fail probably sooner than later.

I think I would haul a 4x4 to a trail like that, unload and go, that way you know you have a ride home.

• 3 months later...

in stock form you would probably make it, but from personal experience you would want to have sway bar disconnects.  I installed them on mine when I snapped 4 end links in half in one summer working forestry roads, and I mean straight sheared the half inch rod off the knuckle. 

These trucks have stought off road cabibility and can very easily rip themselves apart in the right conditions off road.  I have split u joints, end links and bent control arms, so wheel wisely.

And IMHO good u joints, the right tire, sway bar disconnects and maybe after market adjustable control arms and that will get you everywhere you should go with these trucks

On 1/12/2017 at 10:19 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Sounds like your rather aggressive when you are offroading. I'm travel a lot of forestry roads and haul lots of firewood in the summer time. Typically I'm rather mello when I travel back roads being failures might leave you walking a very long ways to get help.

We have a lot of swampy crap here that does numbers to our equipment.  I try to take it easy but every so often I would lift a tire at very slow speed.  Now if I was loaded and lifted the passenger front tire off the ground I would break that sway bar end link every time....