• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Threar locker..what type if any?

I've gathered parts I need for low fuel pressure gauge.  Some parts from Geno's, some Vulcan, some local store.

Have a mixed metals in fittings... I have NPT, alum and brass metals.  Some with flare some without. 

Thread locker question...  Teflon tape? pipe dope?  Removable thread locker? 

What is your favorite thread locker.  

Loctite has a very good application chart and one really needs to use it anymore with as many products they have on the market, there is really no such thing as a one and done product. This is an older version of the basic use products, they have a lot more products now.

http://www.loctite.com.au/aue/content_data/311083_7129_Application_Wall_Chart_V10.pdf

If one really wants to drill down into products and specs here is the master product support catalog.

http://hybris.cms.henkel.com/medias/sys_master/catalogsync/catalogsync/9030422331422.pdf

As far as the OP just some basic teflon tape is all you need in your venture, just remember to wrap it in the same direction as the threads from the end inwards although you are dealing with very small fittings so just one wrap is all you need so it doesn't matter much as the tape will be wider than the fittings lol.:thumb1:

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

Probably be dried up next time I wanted to use it. I can spend the $50 somewhere else 

Most of their products are now "anaerobic" which means they only cure in the absence of air, the bottles are even air permeable to keep the product liquid until use so it can ultimately last forever. This is why the product under the cap of an open bottle is dried as it is absent of air.

I wont use Teflon tape unless its the last thing available and there's no stores around with anything else.....  Not only is it hard to work with, easy to leak, but you can only turn the threads in one direction.  Meaning, once you've turned past the point where you "should" have stopped, there's no going backwards because the tape will just pile up and leak for sure.

Any fuel compatible thread sealant is better than Teflon tape.  I've had a tube of Loctite for so long that its cracked and busted open.  Sits in my tool box wrapped up with paper towels, and if I need any I simply scoop out a glob.  Going to get my money's worth.

And.....just as with ANY thread sealant, you cant get ANY on the internal surface.  Thats BAD. :thumbup2:

19 hours ago, KATOOM said:

I wont use Teflon tape unless its the last thing available and there's no stores around with anything else.....  Not only is it hard to work with, easy to leak, but you can only turn the threads in one direction.  Meaning, once you've turned past the point where you "should" have stopped, there's no going backwards because the tape will just pile up and leak for sure.

I'm not sure I see a good reasoning behind this.... The tape isn't hard to work with??? Wrap it around 3 times the right direction.

You shouldn't ever be turning threads backwards.... if you've gone too far with pipe threads it usually breaks one of the fittings. Other than that I've never though I've gone "too far" on tightening one. Only had teflon tape in my dad's shop for the 22 years I've been alive and never had a problem where I couldn't get something to seal. 

In the end though, use what you're comfortable with :thumbup2:  I like my cheap tape :) 

22 hours ago, TFaoro said:

I'm not sure I see a good reasoning behind this.... The tape isn't hard to work with??? Wrap it around 3 times the right direction.

You shouldn't ever be turning threads backwards.... if you've gone too far with pipe threads it usually breaks one of the fittings. Other than that I've never though I've gone "too far" on tightening one. Only had teflon tape in my dad's shop for the 22 years I've been alive and never had a problem where I couldn't get something to seal. 

In the end though, use what you're comfortable with :thumbup2:  I like my cheap tape :) 

Well because you've only been around for 22 years, thats why..... :whistle:

No seriously, when I say turn backwards, there are countless times I've had to turn a fitting backwards for being farther than I wanted, or working with two threaded fittings fit together and by moving one you accidentally move the other in the wrong direction or too far.  I dont think I've ever broken a fitting from over tightening either.....

But yes, you're correct, to each is own.  I hate Teflon tape.....you love it.  Thats why they sell both. :thumbup2:

I'll have to second the loctite 545. It's easy to work with, doesn't leak, and I believe I even read somewhere that it won't hurt the fuel system if you manage to get some in there. Yes it's expensive, but a little goes a long way and it's well worth it to have a garanteed once and done leak free joint. Just my $.02 :-) btw I hate thread tape lol. Maybe because ive been using it wrong lol I never did three wraps like @TFaoro said...

I have used ptfe pipe dope successfully. I would avoid using that on something post filter though. 

i use either the tape and I have some ptfe pipe dope that is compatible with diesel fuel that i use if necessary. Most brass to steel or brass to brass I dont find any of it necessary. I guess it just boils down to personal preference and whether or not you have a leak.