• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fan Clutch

• Staff

I've check many a fan clutch with a plastic fan by wrapping a shop towel around my hand and grabbing a blade.  If the clutch was engaged it would just kick my hand out.  I don't think I would want to do it with a metal fan.  I've never had one that free wheeling where I could get the fan to go back wards.  These were Aisin brand fan clutches in cars.

• 8 months later...

Bringing this back to life.... Anyone know where I can buy the factory Mopar fan clutch other than the dealer??

I ordered one from factorymoparparts.com, but I got an email this morning saying they were not in stock and they were refunding my money. I don't want to go to the dealer since they're $100+ over online factory clutches.

• Owner
On 11/26/2016 at 8:18 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

It shouldn't spin cold. The oil should be settle to the bottom and thick and it should be extremely stiff. Once started and driving a short distance the oil will spin back to the hub unlocking. 

As for my clutch...

Still doing the same thing... 312k miles later... Still working as designed.

7 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Wouldn't Cummins parts be able to get one?

I just checked both my trucks, both cold, the fans spin free but spin stiff. The 2001 with about 100k more miles spins a bit more firm.

Cummins stopped making a ton of stuff for the ISB.

• Owner
7 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

Cummins stopped making a ton of stuff for the ISB.

Manufacture only have to produce enough parts for warranty periods. You have to remember these engines are over 15 years old no manufacturer will continue building parts that long. So it is all going to be 3rd party reproduction of parts now. 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Manufacture only have to produce enough parts for warranty periods. You have to remember these engines are over 15 years old no manufacturer will continue building parts that long. So it is all going to be 3rd party reproduction of parts now. 

Oh I know. I do not expect them to continue to produce the parts. But the aftermarket has not stepped up for the parts, yet.

4 hours ago, TFaoro said:

Bringing this back to life.... Anyone know where I can buy the factory Mopar fan clutch other than the dealer??

I ordered one from factorymoparparts.com, but I got an email this morning saying they were not in stock and they were refunding my money. I don't want to go to the dealer since they're $100+ over online factory clutches.

I thought Geno's had the OEM clutch fans. :thumbup2:

• Owner
19 hours ago, TFaoro said:

Sorry but there is no way I'm going to pay that for OEM clutch... That's crazy... I'll switch back and buy two Haydens or Four Seasons fan clutches off of Rock Auto. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Sorry but there is no way I'm going to pay that for OEM clutch... That's crazy... I'll switch back and buy two Haydens or Four Seasons fan clutches off of Rock Auto. 

I'll gladly pay it. Between two different parts stores and 5+ clutches I'm sick of it.

My Original clutch won't lock-up anymore even at temps 220+, and every other one I've gotten will not unlock. If I have to spend $200 every 200K miles for a good fan clutch, I'm fine with that.