• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Adrenaline Economy and MPG

Mopar1973Man

Just the fact that you can tune it less than factory and make it smoke free and then have all the power when you want is priceless and valet mode is great too for more than one reason, too much to list. Once all the bugs are ironed out and we all get a hang of it, then......makes me want to hug my truck even more now. I know that's wrong.

32 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

hopefully the bugs are ironed out haha, I dont want to change anything else.  Now we are just figuring out who things work with the ECM and our trucks.

:lmao: you think we're done!? There is much work to be done! :stirthepot: 

I'll start driving the truck again and complaining.... don't tempt me.

But because this is a MPG thread, I hope to be posting some numbers soon. Hopefully the I can get my boost cruise setting figured out for higher speeds. I'm thinking 20ish psi, but we'll see. 

• Owner

I'm almost of the opinion that you need a special tune for interstate travel to do it right. Because in the lower speeds of the city the cruise timing hang up to easy being you push the cruise timing pressure so high. Like my typically 55-65 MPH highway stuff I could set the cruise pressure for 8-10 easy. Interstate I need 15-18 PSI to keep the cruise state.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm almost of the opinion that you need a special tune for interstate travel to do it right. Because in the lower speeds of the city the cruise timing hang up to easy being you push the cruise timing pressure so high. Like my typically 55-65 MPH highway stuff I could set the cruise pressure for 8-10 easy. Interstate I need 15-18 PSI to keep the cruise state.  

You may be right about that. I can't think of a parameter we could use to base off of that would work for both though. 

• Owner

I've been thinking about it too. The problem is the types of driving you do. City needs a tune to itself (0-45 MPH), then highway (55-65 MPH) gets a tune, then interstate (75-85 MPH) gets a tune. Because if you think about the different conditions and what you got to do timing, fuel maps, etc. All need a bit a pulling one way or another to make the driver happy. Like in the city you want your 1500 timing a bit lower to help spool up and get launched from light to light maybe even throw in fuel load timing on 2-3* just to aid in that. Highway you can crank up more timing building on the 1,600 to 2,000 RPM range. Then when you get to the interstate and you twisting 2,100 to 2,400 RPM constantly with boost riding in the 10-15 PSI range makes for rather challenging tuning. 

As you start getting to a science for mpg you are right, you would need a tune for each situation.  It would be nearly impossible to tune the truck perfect for all situations regardless of the platform.  The question most of us have to ask is if there is a big enough reason to justify that?   For you it might be, for me not so much haha.  

For myself I normally drive 55 or 60 everywhere regardless so one tune works fine.  Sometimes I do 75 but it is so rare that I don't really see a need for tuning time on that.