• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Diesel Kleen and 2 cycle TCW3

So I'm on my 2nd full tank of diesel in my new to me 1999 3500 24v.  Each with a bottle of Diesel Kleen (40 gal treatment quantity) and I must say the Diesel Kleen really seems to have quieted the clackety clack down. At $8-$10 per bottle I don't think I will be doing that at every fill up for  much longer, but will continue sporadically. I'm certain the previous owner NEVER ran any sort of additive or "helper" fluids so I'm trying to do what I can to get her back in to shape. 

I am subscribing to what I've read, that 2 cycle oil with TCW3 added to the fuel will help to keep things lubricated, including the lift pump and will hopefully extend the life of it. It makes sense that the new diesel isn't keeping things lubed like thes old Cummins need. 

My question is this. When running Diesel Kleen should I run the 2 cycle at the same time? Seems kind of redundant. 

Most people here will say not to mix different additives, and most are running just 2 cycle. Maybe on rare occasion you can run some sort of cleaner, but with diesel being pretty clean these days already you really shouldn't have to. Just for pice of mind maybe. I do few time a year, stuff I use is localy made called cen-pi-co. Just switched to theirmotor oil too, lots of guys around here use it in farm equipment and at tractor pulls. I did oil sample after 7k on oil and had same result as I did with amsoil, pretty close anyway.

My advice would be to ditch the Diesel Kleen and just run the 2 stroke. I dont really know what kind of lubricating properties DK has. I ran it for a few months long ago and never could tell it was in fuel. It darn sure did not quieten mine down at all. The 2 stroke definitely did. The two together will tend to work against each other. 

I guess if you wanted to clean injectors which I believe the only right way to do is taking them out and manually cleaning them, you could run some biodiesel and some cleaner that way you don't loose all of lubricity and hurt vp. If your system is dirty make sure you have a spear fuel filter and guage that you can monitor pressure with.

• Owner

Little experiment.. Take a small sample of Diesel kKeen and put it in a cup and leave it out in the open. Then leave a small sample of 2 cycle oil in cup. Now wait for a few days or weeks and tell me what you have afterward. I can tell you the 2 cycle oil will still be oil for any length of time. As for the Diesel Kleen you'll have a very sticky tar like substance. I can say there is no lubricant in Diesel Kleen.

3 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I guess if you wanted to clean injectors which I believe the only right way to do is taking them out and manually cleaning them

Absolutely true... You can soak your injectors in 100% diesel kleen and they will still be dirty month later. Carb dip will clean all the carbon off in a few minutes. Still requires full disassembly to clean them properly.

1 hour ago, leon said:

Bye bye DK, hello full time 2 cycle with TCW3. 

Maybe I just wasn't use to how clackety the 24v is compared to my 12v but t damn sure seems quieter. Maybe I just got used to it. 

One possibility for the quietness is bio diesel fuel. There is a lot of it out here in the SE. It runs quieter in my truck. Any blend 5% or less does not have to be labeled either. 

• Like 1

The only reason I brought it up is the pumps not having to be labeled with 5% or less bio in it. I travel for work and end up buying fuel at a lot of different places. So I am not always sure if I am getting it. I sought it for about 2 years just see how well would run in mine. So far I have never had any issues with it. It is as good lubricator that is out there.

I built a Love's travel center last year and they use a lot of it. They have a tank on site that mixes it with their diesel as it is pumped. They also get a 50 cent per gallon subsidy for every gallon they sell. That being said they cant be the only one doing it with the amount of money involved. 

I know its not compatible with B100. According to what I read up on the parker hose on my AD it was good past B20 but I dont remember how much. I have knowingly run B20 and less for 2.5 to 3 years with out a problem.How much more I have run unknowingly who knows. Heard all these stories about clogging up filters because the bio was going to clean all the crud out of my fuel system. I have not experienced anything bad with the bio. I am going to install some new injectors soon and we will see what the old ones look like.

9 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Like myself i can go to ontario oregon and get B10 i think. Sad though that biodiesel is more expensive than petro diesel. Id rather have petro diesel more btu content.

out here there is mostly not  a choice there maybe multiple pumps but the same fuel. If they offered both and one was cheaper I would most likely go with the cheapest. I never noticed any mileage loss due to the bio. Matter of fact I pulled two of my best tanks running what was labeled bio mass diesel at 10% mix. It is different from bio diesel by the material used to make it but I dont remember enough about it. I have only found the bio mass in Tennessee in Chattanooga and  Nashville. 

I make an 800 mile trip to the BC interior a couple times a year. Lots of adverse. Usually a light load of 1,000lbs. or so.  Clean filters and TC-W3 ..... put my foot into it.  Miles per gallon isn't a factor here.  Full/multiple heat cycles throughout the power train. Old truck thinks it's a Corvette !  Just runs great !

• Like 1