• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The crf450ish random question thread.

Firstly I understand your frustration, I deal with install issue / bugs every day at my real job lol.   However that means I know how to look for the issue. 

First lets start with EXACTLY what you did on the Quad before starting the truck, that will help me understand better what could be causing issues.  

1. Did you change levels or apply a custom tune before starting the truck after first install or after you disconnected the Quad?  Or did you just connect the quad box and start the truck?  (either way is fine I just have to know what I am looking for)

2.  when you tried to drive the truck and it was slow are you %550 sure you connected the map sensor back to OEM?  I am going wager a bet you have a P0234 or p0236 code telling you the map was disconnected when trucks power was on.  If the map was disconnected the truck would be a dog since the ecm would never see more than 0 psi of boost.  Your decription of the truck matches perfectly. 

3. the diangostics on the Iquad are not compatable with 2nd gen trucks.  If you see that choice in your list on the Iquad then you need to select the correct vehicle profile on the Iquad.  the Diagnostics menu item does not appear if you choose a 2nd gen profile.  Start iquad app > settings > Vehicle selection  > choose the V2 dodge 2001 -2002 profile.  

4. I am sure you are more than capable of wrenching on your truck so do not take this as you made a mistake, but the VAST majoity of issues I have seen related to the Quadzilla install where due to the wrong tap wire being connected.  Did you check for 12v Key on engine off on the pump tap wire?  It's the easiest way to know if it is tapped correctly.  How was the pump tapped before? Was it a positap or a clip?  Did you physically remove the pump tap to install a new one?  I would check this VERY closely as we all make mistakes and if we are purely playing the odds in terms of what I have seen I would say the pump tap wire is to blame for your issues.  I would disconnect the Pump tap wire from the Quad just to be safe until we narrow the issue down.  If it is connected to the wrong wire somehow then it could backfeed and cause all sorts of issues.

5. Did you remove ANYTHING to allow easy access?  Intake horn? Apps? ANYTHING?  I have done this time and time again, I check something and remove something unrelated then forget to connect it again.  Again not to say you are bad at wrenching, just that everyone does this type of stuff we are human.

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Firstly I understand your frustration, I deal with install issue / bugs every day at my real job lol.   However that means I know how to look for the issue. 

First lets start with EXACTLY what you did on the Quad before starting the truck, that will help me understand better what could be causing issues.  

1. Did you change levels or apply a custom tune before starting the truck after first install or after you disconnected the Quad?  Or did you just connect the quad box and start the truck?  (either way is fine I just have to know what I am looking for)

2.  when you tried to drive the truck and it was slow are you %550 sure you connected the map sensor back to OEM?  I am going wager a bet you have a P0234 or p0236 code telling you the map was disconnected when trucks power was on.  If the map was disconnected the truck would be a dog since the ecm would never see more than 0 psi of boost.  Your decription of the truck matches perfectly. 

3. the diangostics on the Iquad are not compatable with 2nd gen trucks.  If you see that choice in your list on the Iquad then you need to select the correct vehicle profile on the Iquad.  the Diagnostics menu item does not appear if you choose a 2nd gen profile.  Start iquad app > settings > Vehicle selection  > choose the V2 dodge 2001 -2002 profile.  

4. I am sure you are more than capable of wrenching on your truck so do not take this as you made a mistake, but the VAST majoity of issues I have seen related to the Quadzilla install where due to the wrong tap wire being connected.  Did you check for 12v Key on engine off on the pump tap wire?  It's the easiest way to know if it is tapped correctly.  How was the pump tapped before? Was it a positap or a clip?  Did you physically remove the pump tap to install a new one?  I would check this VERY closely as we all make mistakes and if we are purely playing the odds in terms of what I have seen I would say the pump tap wire is to blame for your issues.  I would disconnect the Pump tap wire from the Quad just to be safe until we narrow the issue down.  If it is connected to the wrong wire somehow then it could backfeed and cause all sorts of issues.

5. Did you remove ANYTHING to allow easy access?  Intake horn? Apps? ANYTHING?  I have done this time and time again, I check something and remove something unrelated then forget to connect it again.  Again not to say you are bad at wrenching, just that everyone does this type of stuff we are human.

~First off~  I just want to apologize to the forum for my silly post last night. I edited the whining and profanity out of it. Sorry. 

1. I applied the Daily tune I copied from your post in the Custom tuning thread before I started truck. 

2. I did not connect the map sensor back to OEM :doh::doh::doh: That explains that. 

3. Ok, I will change that. 

4. I am absolutely positive the correct wire is tapped. :thumb1:

5. Only removed the APPS module (3 big bolts)  and I reset the APPS last night to. 

Edited by crf450ish

Did you change levels at all before starting the truck or did you just apply the tune?   This will tell me if the Quad was actually sending any info out. 

If you had the wrong vehicle profile selected I don't know how the tuning would have applied, but there may be a data mismatch due to this.  

I would still leave the wiretap disconnected until we get to the bottom of things and I would test for 12v power to the wiretap wire key on engine off if you haven't yet.  

Did any of the apps wires get damaged?  

53 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Did you change levels at all before starting the truck or did you just apply the tune?   This will tell me if the Quad was actually sending any info out. 

If you had the wrong vehicle profile selected I don't know how the tuning would have applied, but there may be a data mismatch due to this.  

I would still leave the wiretap disconnected until we get to the bottom of things and I would test for 12v power to the wiretap wire key on engine off if you haven't yet.  

Did any of the apps wires get damaged?  

I did not change levels at all, just loaded daily tune and started the truck. No APPS wires were damaged. 

~UPDATE~

Been driving the truck for 45 minutes now, and everything seems fine except the check engine light is on, I'm going to figure out why here in a little bit.  I've got it on daily tune and everything seems perfect. Performance tune hits like a freight train. Idk what the(my) deal was. 

Edited by crf450ish

2 hours ago, crf450ish said:

I did not change levels at all, just loaded daily tune and started the truck. No APPS wires were damaged. 

~UPDATE~

Been driving the truck for 45 minutes now, and everything seems fine except the check engine light is on, I'm going to figure out why here in a little bit.  I've got it on daily tune and everything seems perfect. Performance tune hits like a freight train. Idk what the(my) deal was. 

It's the MAP code from it not being connected. It won't hurt performance or anything as long as it is connected now. Either have someone clear the code or just run it until the CEL shuts itself off. 

1693 was the only code. As for what happened last night. Who knows.  I was probably so rumdummy from Being awake since 4am and ending up installling the quad at 9pm.... 

everything seems good now. I'm going to tweak my tunes now. I noticed the tunes here: 

work great. Very noticeable difference from the EJWA. Clean power as I've read on here. I'm going to tweak my the Daily & MPG tune to make the power come on sooner and ramp up a little slower. 

Big shoutout to @Me78569 for his help and overall dedication to this. Dudes a genius. 

So I bumped up the minimum pump tap percentage from 0% to 15% on all tunes except performance. That one is @ 50%. Also on the daily tune copied from @Me78569, I bumped the fuel stretch from 1500 to 1700 microseconds, and pump low boost scale to 1 psi up from 10. Just experimenting. I want the tuner to come on sooner, like pretty much off idle... 

I can see why (almost) everyone on here has one. ?  ?? ??Way too much fun. 

Remember that min pump tap % is tied to TPS.  If you want to go fast ensure you use the throttle. 

If you use 25% throttle then you will get no less than 25% of your wiretap min setting.  If you use 100 throttle then you get no less than %100 of your wiretap min setting.

Also I would guess your trucks canbus starting %should be ~%20 more than my tunes as you have stock injectors and are at sea level.  You can throw. A lot of canbus fuel at the truck

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

Hey @Mopar1973Man, or whoever else, whats a good HANDHELD GPS to buy and use for accurate MPG tracking? I'd like to use it for way more than just this though. Hunting, Fishing, map reading etc. I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-High-Sensitivity-GLONASS-Receiver/dp/B00HWL9BQ4/ref=sr_1_3?s=gps&ie=UTF8&qid=1488129221&sr=1-3&keywords=handheld+gps

I know its expensive, but its pay me now or pay me later with these types of things, IMO. BuY a good one now and forget about it vs going thru several cheap ones lol. 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'd do it for you if you brought me a bearing kit for my turbo. I'll trade you labor for the bearing kit. I might bring the beer for the shop time too. :whistle2:

I'd love to do that, however New Meadows is pretty far from me ?