• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Protect your lift pump

thanks, Sorry guys for all this. I am mechanical on trucks, but electrical on anything i just want to make sure.

1. So for my number 85 can i hook both my lift pump black wire to it also along with the ground wire that is coming from the ecu?

2 Where did yall mount the relay so it was out of the way and none of the wires can come unplugged?

3. 20 amp fuse is good?

2001cummins

On mine I cut only the power lead, then routed the wire up to the fender. Mounted the relay. Then routed the wire back to the cut. Got power from the battery using a in line fuse. The ground is the screw that holds the relay to the fender. That way I only cut one wire.

4 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

My in tank pump had a relay on it. Maybe dodge was getting smarter 

Thanks. I was looking at a harness in my shop and could not remember what it was for. Now I remember. Kept thinking it was for the booster pump I p pnut after the in tank pump was installed.

@klcammie  I am by no means trying to hijack your thread as I got a relay installed for the LP yesterday.  It was a pretty straight forward task.  The longest part is making the wire harness to connect the relay.  I lucked out on that because there was a short extention between the LP & the ECM feed with the proper connections (i forgot it was there and pic below).  It must have been from the second carter pump that was installed by the PO.  That made it it much easier as I could make the new harness on my bench.

20170212_120244.jpg.46796c9ad0ef27942cd4cc5066368c08.jpg

L8tr

d

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:55 AM, klcammie said:

2001cummins

On mine I cut only the power lead, then routed the wire up to the fender. Mounted the relay. Then routed the wire back to the cut. Got power from the battery using a in line fuse. The ground is the screw that holds the relay to the fender. That way I only cut one wire.

thank you, just got back into town and will wire up this evening.

12 hours ago, SilverMoose said:

Hopefully I won't need the luck :wink:.  It apprears that I have am little more fuel pressure now too.  Using 14g wire to power the pump and connecting to the PDC probably helped there.

Yes I think I picked up 1-2 psi.

• Like 1

• Staff

16 gauge wire will handle 20 amps up to 10'.  The relay should be at least twice the amp draw of the motor (20-40 amps).  If your fuel pump motor draw 10 amps at start up then the minimum relay will be 20 amps.  The relay should also have a resistor or diode in parallel with the coil to suppress back flowing voltage spikes that can damage the ECM.  These voltage spikes can reach well over 100 volts and are caused when the power to the relay is shut off and the magnetic field around the coil collapses.   Most relays denote the use of a suppressor as a symbol of a resistor or diode in the wiring diagram on the side of the relay.   

Don't go high amperage on the fuse or every thing will burn before the fuse blows.  To find the fuse size calculate the load and multiply by 135% (1.35).  You can find the load by doing an amp draw test.  My back up fuel pump draw tested at 6.5 amps, times 1.35 = 8.77 amps, next size fuse is 10 amps so I installed a 10 amp fuse.  

• Like 3

• Staff

A relay will have the protective resistor or diode built into it.  A wire diagram will be either printed on or etched into the cover.  The one below is printed on and shows that it has a resistor running parallel with the coil.

58a6881d33c93_PC-792A-IC-CI-125-RN-X__71190.1427599205_500_5001.jpg.ede3e8ad146b8ea2508101541f49736d.jpg

Here are some basic wire diagrams you will find on the side of an automotive relay.  Terminal 87a is not shown.

58a68932f26d5_AAEAAQAAAAAAAAJtAAAAJDJiM2EyNGNmLWQ5MDUtNDZhNi04YTllLTU2NDMwMWNhMDQwOQ1.jpg.b0420addbe18ffe3e875a19dc9d79cdb.jpg

• Like 1

well looks like I need to get a different relay then, mine is just the basic relay you buy at autoparts store there is no resistor or diode diagram on the ones I saw locally.

Where are yall finding a 30 to 40 amp relay with a resistor or diode built in.

Edited by 2001cummins
add