• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

trreed's upgrade thread

I started messing around with timing on my idiot/race/dyno tune.  Previously, top end power was being reached above 3200 rpm, so in an effort to bring the power bands back down (and see what happens if I try to emulate p-pump timing) my idiot tune timing starts around 20* at 1500 rpm.  Truck is MAD when it starts off, but then settles down a bit when RPM's come up, and pulls harder.  Also, as I reach 3400 RPM, it starts bucking and surging until it reaches 3500 RPM, which it will hold.  

Moral of the story: my VP does not like high timing down low, but timing is power.

For reference, here's my timing curves from my daily tune and idiot tune

RPM             Daily         Idiot

1500:             17             20

2000:             21             23

2500:             23.5          27

3000:             26.5          30

Max:              30             30

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Trust me you heart falls on the truck floor when you know the transmission just failed.

Not me :lmao:! I slammed that SOB into 4th and drove it home!

Trevor should call me before he tries to show off in front of dum dums.

• Owner
2 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Not me :lmao:! I slammed that SOB into 4th and drove it home!

Trevor should call me before he tries to show off in front of dum dums.

Well I did similar. Rowed 1st, 2nd, jumped to 5th... Chug, chug, etc. Hauling another Dodge home to it owner. Delivered... Swapped trucks on the trailer and got free ride home.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, trreed said:

I did say I was being dumb. :) Not even mad about it.  Was more relieved it wasn't the transmission.

I don’t think they exploded as much as they just sheared themselves. 

2C399E08-E887-4026-BEAE-C4B95D710CD1.jpeg

I exploded a bunch of them on my 2 1/2 ton axles with tractor tires under my Jeep and Dodge D300. I just hated when they get lodged in the chunk and snap a axle or both. LOL    You are right about glad its not the transmission! 

Edited by mopar440cu

On 5/21/2018 at 9:02 PM, trreed said:

PSA. Don’t be dumb. Or say “Watch this!” in front of a group of friends

Done similar things plenty of time myself, nothing is as tough As It Seems. 

On 5/22/2018 at 5:51 PM, mopar440cu said:

exploded a bunch of them on my 2 1/2 ton axles with tractor tires under my Jeep and Dodge D300. I just hated when they get lodged in the chunk and snap a axle or both

I had same axles under few of my trucks, ended up with overson's axles, lockers, hubs etc. 

22 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Done similar things plenty of time myself, nothing is as tough As It Seems. 

I had same axles under few of my trucks, ended up with overson's axles, lockers, hubs etc. 

Oh yes Overson’s, when the father actually owned it. I had his original designed 2 1/2 ton inners on the rear of the Dodge and the sons annihilator axles front and rear on my Jeep. If I remember it was 47 spline. I could smoke my 57” R2’s on asphalt, which didn’t help the cleets on the tires nor the locker. Lol Sold that D300 and kept the 540 wedge motor for a dart project.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ha.  No.  Got sent the wrong pinion seal, considered leaving the pinion seal and front bearing alone until I found rusty oil on the bearing from where water had been seeping in.  All the parts stores only stock the seal for the flanged yoke, so I gotta go to the dealer for this seal