• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Verifying HX35/40 turbo size

I'll put money down that it's a 54 mm inducer, as all 24 valves that i have seen have the 7 blade version.  Ironically, it seems as though the 7 blade flows more air than the 8 blade despite its smaller size.

Edited by trreed

51 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

Blade design is probably more important than diameter. Smaller will spool faster too. 

Probably quite true.  I am waiting for a supercar OEM to come out with an axial flow turbo or axial/centrifugal turbo, complete with guide vanes.  

1 hour ago, trreed said:

I'll put money down that it's a 54 mm inducer, as all 24 valves that i have seen have the 7 blade version.  Ironically, it seems as though the 7 blade flows more air than the 8 blade despite its smaller size.

It may not be off a 24V originally.  It came with my truck and lord knows where it came from. 

• Staff

Not sure we will ever see a turbo with an axial combo, it's just takes too much room and power... but who knows. I do know that the T700 I fly with has 5 axial and one centrifical and it can get to 17:1... but 75% of the fuel burned is to keep the compressor running! 

I think we will see the reduction of diesel and rise of electrical in the next 10 years.  Things like turbo technology will slow and we will see the onset of the adoption of electric engines in pretty much all passenger vechiles.  

I can't wait to have a 1 ton with no trans and a nice torquey motor....or 4 torquey motors, one per wheel.   talk about ABS :)

• Like 1

• Staff
8 hours ago, Me78569 said:

I think we will see the reduction of diesel and rise of electrical in the next 10 years.  Things like turbo technology will slow and we will see the onset of the adoption of electric engines in pretty much all passenger vechiles.  

I can't wait to have a 1 ton with no trans and a nice torquey motor....or 4 torquey motors, one per wheel.   talk about ABS :)

It may happen in some form, but I don't think it will be absolute, or even the majority, in our lifetime. 

There is already a DOT war on pure electric vehicles and tax evasion. I suspect that hybrids will be more and more as they are cheaper to operate per 100K miles. The battery replacement on 100% elec vehicles puts their 100K mile costs much higher than most realize, but a hybrid can use a smaller battery and is still paying road taxes. 

I think that small 1-2 cylinder turbo diesel hybrids will start to become more popular. They would be 30-40% more efficient than current hybrids. 

8 hours ago, trreed said:

Or just the replacement of exhaust driven turbos with the 48V electric "turbos", in the form of a centrifugal supercharger.  That will be a sad day. 

I really doubt that technology is anywhere even close, if even possible. Think about the efficiency loss from a turbo to supercharger. Turbo's are using waste energy to increase airflow and superchargers are driven with fuel, almost directly since they are belt driven. If you make the blower electric driven you now have to turn fuel into electricity and then spin a motor which will not be as efficient. 

The big reason you are seeing DRL's switch to LED's is fuel economy. It's estimate that using halogen low beams as DRL's reduces fuel economy ±1% and that's only 110w on a standard vehicle. In the late 90's when DRL's started become standard and all they mfgrs did was turn on the low beams with a relay the fuel economy loss was hot topic. 

We have already seen a huge increase in turbo motors over the last few years and I expect that to continue for a long time. Turbo efficiency will get better and economy will go up. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

I really doubt that technology is anywhere even close, if even possible. Think about the efficiency loss from a turbo to supercharger. Turbo's are using waste energy to increase airflow and superchargers are driven with fuel, almost directly since they are belt driven. If you make the blower electric driven you now have to turn fuel into electricity and then spin a motor which will not be as efficient. 

The big reason you are seeing DRL's switch to LED's is fuel economy. It's estimate that using halogen low beams as DRL's reduces fuel economy ±1% and that's only 110w on a standard vehicle. In the late 90's when DRL's started become standard and all they mfgrs did was turn on the low beams with a relay the fuel economy loss was hot topic. 

We have already seen a huge increase in turbo motors over the last few years and I expect that to continue for a long time. Turbo efficiency will get better and economy will go up. 

The 48v stuff is closer than you think. The electric supercharger is a bit further out. Everyone (loose generalization) was all excited for Trumps view on the EPA.....they all seem to forget what has driven the tech and advancements over the years for passenger cars.

This really should be moved into a new thread " engine and turbo future tech" haha

there are numerous things that could be put into place to help get efficencies up. but I still think the onset of electric is around the corner.  Batteries are not there yet, but a small effiicent diesel motor running a generator takes care of that.   

As for combustion engines I would love to see someone start making use of rotary valves to get rid of the need for a complete valve train.  Independant valve timing / and speed would be pretty cool.  Compression brake on %50 of the cylinders or even cylinder disable with compression release.  

As for turbos I have been watching some of the electric assist turbos.  Quick zap of power to get the turbo in it's map then exhaust gas does the rest.  I think Honda was toying with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AH64ID said:

48v maybe, but electric forced induction would be energy prohibitive even if you could make electric motor 3x efficient as they are today. 

There is no maybe. 48v is coming. BSG. F1 or Indy was messing with the electric turbo stuff but that is an extremely slow trickle down.

• Owner

I got impatient... I finished up the turbo bolted it on and put my stock injectors back in. Forgot what turbo whistle was all about. This turbo is just a weebit laggy with stock injectors but once the Quadzilla kick in it will pull nearly 40 PSI of boost as is. So the +75 SAC's will be an awesome upgrade to this turbo. As for the Stock HX35W it measured 54mm on the compressor. I got to admit it was kind of fun clocking the segments of the turbo again.

DSCF3983.JPG

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 3